KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Iron Fist (Netflix)

Iron Fist (Netflix)
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

Yea, it'd probably be better if I didn't know who IF was before watching this.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 09:29 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MF DELPH
You're not taking into account that all of the Marvel Netflix shows, and the Marvel Television component outright, fall under Ike Perlmutter's domain. The shows do have pretty strict budget restrictions. Most recent example prior to this was the abbreviated appearance of Ghost Rider on Agents of Shield due to budget constraints for effects.

Fair enough, but I don't think an extra million in fight choreography and training for the lead would have broken the budget, especially considering Danny Rand is all about marital arts.

Hoping they address this specifically before we see him in another show. DD has before choreography.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 10:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Marvel films are vastly superior to any marvel television products. It's best not to compare.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 11:41 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I don't think TV budget constrictions figure into it. Daredevil has some of the most awesome fights seen on TV. It's a different style though - ninjutsu meets boxing, done by a man not using his eyes and taking bloody punishment on a journey to get a costume with flexible armour. Danny is pure kung fu and rarely gets seriously hurt with his dodging and striking. So the fights are less brutal and gory (it's Harold Meachum who contributes more gore to the show. big grin )

Final thoughts after finishing the series:

- The last batch of episodes are the best, and help even out the uneven early episodes. Some story expectations get flipped on their heads.

- Too much of the writing is saying the same things over and over again, when you could just show it visually.

- Danny Rand is a bit like Peter Quill, with arrested development and not as mature an adult as he should be. I know the reasons why, and maybe this series journey was necessary for his evolution, but enough of the whiny childhood moping going forward.

- Danny's best Iron Fist feat came late in episode 13, in the office tower. I jumped out of my seat, it was so sick. You'll know it when you see it!

- With the extra fantasy story elements they brought in this Netflix universe, this reminds me more of a typical DC show than the other Marvel shows.

So; it's an all right show. But future Iron Fist requires Finn to lose the beard & get some signature costume, replace the showrunner, get tighter editing and fight choreography...then they should have something! thumb up

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 12:58 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I don't know how it's possible, but somehow this show managed to make the ninja story-line more boring than the business one.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 02:35 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Did Gao or Bakuto actually employ ninja's though? They're part of The Hand organization but it looks like Bakuto moreso is making 'child soldiers' out of young recruits and Gao just runs drugs and employs henchmen/mercenaries. The only one to actually call in hordes of ninjas was Nobu and he seemed to be much higher ranking. He also didn't seem to even acknowledge Gao as a member of The Hand in either season of Daredevil. I think she might be an ally/affiliate of the Hand but I think she's actually going to be revealed as Crane Mother, particularly since she's from Heaven but not necessarily K'un Lun, and Davos seems to be in league with her in that meeting with Joy.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 04:05 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Did Gao or Bakuto actually employ ninja's though? They're part of The Hand organization but it looks like Bakuto moreso is making 'child soldiers' out of young recruits and Gao just runs drugs and employs henchmen/mercenaries. The only one to actually call in hordes of ninjas was Nobu and he seemed to be much higher ranking. He also didn't seem to even acknowledge Gao as a member of The Hand in either season of Daredevil. I think she might be an ally/affiliate of the Hand but I think she's actually going to be revealed as Crane Mother, particularly since she's from Heaven but not necessarily K'un Lun, and Davos seems to be in league with her in that meeting with Joy.

The lack of them was one of my two major complaints, tbh. You could very well be right, though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 06:28 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Yea, I didn't think Gao was even part of the Hand until they kept associating her with them in IF.

Didn't really make much sense...

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 06:59 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

i'm at episode 11 and man...this dude is really unlikable. no charm, no charisma. the whole show is about wanking the dude. danny is this, danny is that. And this is coming from a huge iron fist fan! its definitely fixable. they need to characterize him better and work on the choreography. he was outperformed by everyone on the show lol. how do i know he's being wank? one scene had colleen wing talking him up about how his "movements is beautiful and inspiring" lmao! inspiring? he's stiff as hell haha

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:14 AM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Interesting. Lewis Tan, the guy who played Zhou Chen, the drunken master, originally read for the part of Iron Fist. His fight scene was actually my favourite fight scene in the series.

Full interview with him here:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/lewi...-interview.html

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:55 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Interesting. Lewis Tan, the guy who played Zhou Chen, the drunken master, originally read for the part of Iron Fist. His fight scene was actually my favourite fight scene in the series.

Full interview with him here:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/lewi...-interview.html
He pretty much stole the show and would've been 100X the better Iron Fist. You can still accomplish the outsider storyline by casting an Asian as Danny Rand. Finn Jones is pretty much the weak link of this show, his performance yields a character that has no resonance or believability.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 01:54 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I'm actually not that down on Finn Jones as Iron Fist. While the fighting could have been better (and by better I mean they could have brought in more competent stunt men and choreographers), the way they have Danny's characterization in the show makes sense when you consider he's been in a magical monastery since he was 10 being raised (and beaten/indoctrinated) by warrior monks after surviving a near fatal plane crash. His social awkwardness fits with the strict, regimented lifestyle he came of age in and he still needs to adapt to the modern world. When he meets Luke Cage and they bond over their mutual love of hip hop and women with nice asses he'll start to come out of his shell and become cool Danny. For now he's rookie awkward Danny.

>Z<

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 02:09 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

On a side note:

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: In episode 6 was Lei Kung actually talking to Danny mystically/telepathically while he was going through those trials or was that all in his head?

>Z<

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 02:19 PM
Mindset

Originally posted by Firefly218
He pretty much stole the show and would've been 100X the better Iron Fist. You can still accomplish the outsider storyline by casting an Asian as Danny Rand. Finn Jones is pretty much the weak link of this show, his performance yields a character that has no resonance or believability.
No.

All Asians know each other.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 02:25 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Some aspects of this series I can't help laughing at. The lame excuses they have to shove Claire into the storyline. Her saying "sweet Christmas", trying way too hard at times by dropping that line.

This series is almost like a video game. The main character is almost a blank slate(Danny Bland), and it's the people he interacts with that draw your attention and make the series worth watching.

Last edited by Surtur on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 02:38 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 02:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

I'm actually not that down on Finn Jones as Iron Fist. While the fighting could have been better (and by better I mean they could have brought in more competent stunt men and choreographers), the way they have Danny's characterization in the show makes sense when you consider he's been in a magical monastery since he was 10 being raised (and beaten/indoctrinated) by warrior monks after surviving a near fatal plane crash. His social awkwardness fits with the strict, regimented lifestyle he came of age in and he still needs to adapt to the modern world. When he meets Luke Cage and they bond over their mutual love of hip hop and women with nice asses he'll start to come out of his shell and become cool Danny. For now he's rookie awkward Danny.

I don't think the issue is character nuance. The issue is his performance being too wooden. I feel it's not a stretch to say that every viewer looked forward to every character on the show BUT Danny Rand. That's a problem. Even his mystic, Chinese wisdom spew were unconvincing. Sounds like he's mocking instead. If character nuance is at play then he could've at least spoke with more conviction since for 15 years he did spend time with sages and monks in kun'lun.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:16 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah but there weren't normal sages and monks, but crazy sages and monks who beat you with sticks and might make you fight a dragon.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:49 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

which should've heightened his instinct and confidence. his portrayal here was that of an idiot who rush head first into situations AND conclusion. Look, i understand the trope of the kid who's fcked up cuz he lost his parent or guardian (batman, superman, spiderman list goes on) but none was as annoying as the portrayal here.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 02:11 AM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by Surtur
Some aspects of this series I can't help laughing at. The lame excuses they have to shove Claire into the storyline. Her saying "sweet Christmas", trying way too hard at times by dropping that line.

This series is almost like a video game. The main character is almost a blank slate(Danny Bland), and it's the people he interacts with that draw your attention and make the series worth watching.

I was confused as to why they did that exactly as well laughing out loud

The sweet Christmas bit

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 02:23 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Originally posted by dynamix
which should've heightened his instinct and confidence. his portrayal here was that of an idiot who rush head first into situations AND conclusion. Look, i understand the trope of the kid who's fcked up cuz he lost his parent or guardian (batman, superman, spiderman list goes on) but none was as annoying as the portrayal here.

Nah, I think the issue is that for Danny/Iron Fist in particular (as per the narrative of the show) he's overly naive and trusting because he was raised in 'Heaven'. It's not just that he lost his guardians and is dealing with survivor's guilt/ptsd and ran around learning martial arts to become a vigilante like Batman, he also lost his connection to modern society and it's customs/conventions and was indoctrinated into an otherworldly society where duty, honor, and honesty is always the expectation. Because of this he assumed the Meachum's would welcome him with open arms and have his best interests at heart because they were childhood friends. He also assumed that there was a strict code of conduct in a dojo as shown when he struck Colleen's student because that's what he was accustomed to from life in K'un Lun.

>Z<

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 03:40 AM