KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Prime Darth Tyranus vs 3 BBY Darth Vader

Prime Darth Tyranus vs 3 BBY Darth Vader
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthbane77

Vader, all.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 08:58 PM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
And btw, the Wii version is no less canon than the rest. Sad times. smile

Hardly matters since Galen was ragdolled in the PC version too.

RIP in peace Az's argument.

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 09:07 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

And confirmed by the Prima Guide.

RIP Az. smile

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 09:16 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum.../#js-message-50

I've made the case here.

Also, he's stated to have been tossed like a ragdoll by Vader, not that he actually was in an inescapable Force grip, which remains unsupported save for the Wii version. And to my knowledge, the PS3/Xbox versions overwrite the others in terms of continuity. Feel free to correct me on that, though.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 10:20 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

confused

A ragdoll is a children's toy, obviously any comparison between Marek and one is going to be presented as a metaphorical. On the other hand, Vader was able to man handle Marek like a children's toy, and in the Wii version (of which their is no grounds for what you claim) fails to break his grip until the final moment. That seems like a sufficient feat of domination to me.

As for your point on CV, the obvious discrepancies between the two events are sufficient to debunk it tbh. I'm sure you can spot them.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2017 10:30 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Dooku in 'sabers, Vader in Force (?) and not sure about All-Out.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 06:00 AM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

So I can quote Beni's post but not Zoltan's (this is a recurring theme with ol' Zolt - I'm beginning to wonder if it's something he does).

quote:
Where do you get all this shit from?

He was outpaced by Paratus because of his mechanical legs, that doesn't diminish his skill in any way. The part about Shaak is right, but I already said that so idfk why you had to bring up again. And he did not f-ucking struggle with Maris lmao, he stomped her laughing out loud

I felt the need to mention Shaak again because it's part of a string of examples of Galen being nowhere near perfect. He did struggle with Maris, since he staggered backwards and delayed the fight with Soresu before switching to Juyo, which Brood was unfamiliar with, to overwhelm her. That being said, they were fighting on a DS nexus and he was apparently somewhat weakened from his battle with the Bull Rancor, but that's still hardly a positive mark in his favour.

As for Darth Desolous, I got it from the PS2/Wii/PSP versions of the game, where Kento Marek's Force Ghost (which can obviously see the future) gives Galen a warning that he'll need all his skills to survive; yet this is a mere simulacrum of Desolous that padawans beat as part of their trials. You also didn't mention the Shadow Guards, probably because you know he did in fact struggle with them.

So instead of cherry-picking my examples and trying to disprove individual points meaninglessly for the sake of it, take a look at the bigger picture and realize my point; that the quote is hyperbole and that Galen is in no way near-perfect, especially as of the start of the game.

quote:
And it's cute how you try to dimiss his accolde, it still means he's f-ucking skilled. And then there's the quote too that says he's as good a duelist as he is powerful in the Force...

There's no dismissal; I'm putting it in its place - it's obviously hyperbole. Being "skilled" doesn't mean shit at this level, lmao. And again, Vader beating him doesn't in any way put him up there with prime Anakin as you're implying. Anakin, probably more easily than Vader beat SK, beat an arguably superior swordsman than Galen in Cin Drallig, despite being hindered and using one hand because he was choking somebody else at the same time.

quote:
The irony is that the quote is from you.

I know that. As with you and Shaak Ti, I referenced it beforehand. It's not like I forgot the quote; I just had reservations about its application. But I already said I can get on board with you on the point.

quote:
Sigh...Except it was confirmed that Vader didn't take him seriously, and then the Dun Möch kicked it. So yeah, all around useless feat for Galen.

Where? I only know the quote about Vader fighting recklessly. Either way, again, beating Galen is probably inferior to beating Drallig, never mind the fact that Anakin was doing it with greater ease whilst hindered.

So in no way does this put Vader on Anakin's level, as you implied.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 06:16 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Both Mace (I believe) and particularly Dooku were some of the Order's most premier lightsaber instructors, Dooku's duelling instruction videos were mandatory viewing among Padawans, or in other words they are prolific and therefore very high profile duellists. Given that it seems far more unlikely that Ferus hasn't seen a demonstration of either of their talents than that he had.

Interesting. Do you have evidence to back up the first two claims of yours? Also, unless I'm mistaken, more recent sources have Jedi musing that Vader around this time to be slow.

quote:
Acknowledged and addressed.

This rests on the assumption that the extent to which Sidious was holding back in Lords of the Sith and in The Lawless is identical, which is up to you to prove.

If the suggestion is that Vader is noticeably faster than Maul or Savage, that seems unlikely given that his movements are stated to be restricted by a 2010 source and according to Lucas, he's a "crippled half-robot" which certainly doesn't sound like he's faster than Maul at all.

quote:
Inheriting Marek's power and skill for starters, and in regards to Marek being faster that's not really stated. Only that in comparison to Vader being "strong and relentless" Marek was "fast and sly", but that could be more a reference to fighting style than anything, or Marek's greater mobility. More to the point there is little evidence to suggest Vader increased over those years, certainly when the Marek clone faces him again, his only observations were that he was more cautious and his armour had got an upgrade.

Even if it did refer to fighting styles, that's not mutually exclusive from it listing advantages as well. As for Vader increasing over the years, my evidence lies on the disparity of his performance between Galen and SK, although the circumstances may balance it out as my discussion with Zoltan is bringing up.

quote:
Well I've already addressed that in my response to Az.

On that topic, Vader's Jedi killer quote is a Legends accolade, and I'm not seeing why Dooku would fall under its jurisdiction. To memory, the only Jedi that Dooku's personally killed is Tiplee, which happens in a canon-only comic. Sifo-Dyas he arranges to get killed and doesn't execute personally; and I can't think of any other kills off the top of my head - certainly not any notable ones. With a record of zero Jedi kills in Legends, I think it's fair game to exclude Dooku from that accolade since he isn't really a personal Jedi killer to begin with.

quote:
That said, can you prove that Dooku is a superior swordsman to Kenobi?

He has better skill feats and accolades. The RotS junior novel claims that Anakin and Dooku are dead even and even in the RotS novel, Anakin's advantages come down to physicals rather than skill. We know Anakin as of the start of RotS eclipses Obi-Wan.

Apart from that, contending with Yoda, being equal with Mace as of Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, easily beating Grievous on repeated occasions, trashing S6 Obi-Wan and holding his own comfortably against Obi-Wan and Anakin in RotS (the RotS novel's an outlier) should put him above Obi-Wan.

quote:
Irrelevant tbh considering Vader > TCW Anakin even when enraged, though to humour your point he wasn't particularly angry in these instances:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Well, these come down to saberlocks rather than a theme of Dooku succumbing to Anakin's strength throughout the fight. In the first one, I agree he was outright overpowered, but it wasn't that big of a deal since he was able to respond to Anakin's follow-up moves just fine. We have examples of Yoda doing something similar to Sidious. In the second one, it looks like Dooku is briefly having some sort of mental realization about how good Anakin is; he manages to halt Anakin's blade eventually and use telekinesis at the same time. Later in the same fight, Anakin and Dooku briefly lock blades again and Anakin's clearly not pushing Dooku's blade back in that one.

It's arguable that the first two instances with Anakin pushing the Count's saber back come down to Dooku underestimating Anakin (IIRC, this is their first fight since the TCW movie so he probably didn't expect Anakin to grow so much), since in the second one he eventually manages to stop Anakin from pushing with his blade anymore, and in the bladelock after that, again, Anakin fails to push Dooku's blade back at all.

In the last one, Dooku overpowers Anakin, so I have no idea what you're talking about. People may be pushed back slightly in bladelocks as they gather power to overpower their opponent; I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Also, Anakin just came off a bloodlusted attack on Dooku and later has a visibly angry face as Dooku escapes, so I'd say he was fairly pissed.

quote:
It does namely that your not reading them properly. On Obao-Diah Dooku exploits the shortcomings of Skywalker & Kenobi's synergy and overpowers Anakin through effective use of leverage. In Dark Disciple little detail is given regarding the fight besides the fact that it went back and forth, which if anything implies at some stages Anakin had the upper hand, in RotS fight, the adult novelisation brings into doubt the reliability of the junior and in the movie he only gains an upper hand in strength through again, leverage.

The examples provided here on the other hand are much more conclusive, and with fewer strings attached.

I didn't say Dooku was stronger than Anakin, just that Anakin failed to replicate such things in later fights. Also regarding leverage, it's funny that one of your earlier examples was from Crisis on Naboo, because in that one when Anakin leaps onto the ramp, Dooku uses only one hand to block a two-handed avalanche strike from behind him, which is a terrible situation as far as leverage goes. Yet, Dooku doesn't succumb to Anakin's strength there at all.

Also, no, the RotS novel is an outlier when it comes to the duel on the Invisible Hand; it depicts Dooku floundering against the duo and the duo changing fighting styles which no other source does. The film doesn't show Dooku struggling until the end, and the junior novel, which is much more closely aligned with the film, depicts Dooku appearing at ease even when defending against the both of them; he's also only driven back slowly. Not to mention both the SW website and TCSWE claim that Dooku proved a formidable opponent to the duo. The script has Dooku driving the duo back at least once, with him and Obi-Wan tiring at the same rate whilst Anakin grows in strength over the course of the fight as a result of "getting angry".

As I mentioned earlier, the RotS junior novel depicts Anakin as being unable to gain any kind of advantage over Dooku at all until he draws upon his rage. That would include strength. smile

Last edited by SunRazer on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 06:48 AM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 06:43 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Azronger
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum.../#js-message-50

I've made the case here.

Also, he's stated to have been tossed like a ragdoll by Vader, not that he actually was in an inescapable Force grip, which remains unsupported save for the Wii version. And to my knowledge, the PS3/Xbox versions overwrite the others in terms of continuity. Feel free to correct me on that, though.

Its too bad nether the ps3 or xbox verison have starkille rbreaking out of vader's force grip but rather vader willingly throwing him up into the air after choking him. So they don't actually contradict the wii version. And "being thrown like a ragdoll" is literally ragdolling

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 07:11 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

also what marek can do to tfu 1 vader has no bearing on tfu 2 vader which features another, very obviously more powerful version of vader

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 07:14 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

@Nova I never said Vader is >= Anakin, just that he is not a shadow of him. Which implies a huge difference.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 07:29 AM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Any reason to suspect that Vader can compare to Sidious at this point as a swordsman?

Also, Anakin beating Drallig > Vader beating Galen, then factor in how Anakin was hindered, using only one hand as he choked Bene simultaneously, and still beat Drallig with greater ease than Vader did Galen. Pretty big difference from where I'm standing.

And there's the fact that nothing explicitly retcons Fightsaber's remark about ANH Vader's dueling ability in comparison to Anakin's. Lucas would seem to support that, actually.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 07:50 AM
cs_zoltan

Lmao, beating Drallig isn't better than beating Galen.

And Vader not only compares, but is better than Sidious smile

Darth Vader is the embodiment of all evil. Under the guidance of Emperor Palpatine-aka Darth Sidious- Lord Vader controls the Galactic Empire with an iron fist. He's an unparalleled lightsaber combatant and an even more capable Force wielder.
-- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II: Prima Official Game Guide

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 07:53 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

1. Drallig > TFU 1 Galen, tbh. His accolades are better and none of Galen's feats are out of Cin's paygrade.

2. One of the shititest quotes ever. smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 08:03 AM
cs_zoltan

1. Drallig is not even better than the B-Team, while one can easily argue TFU Ti is so nah.

2. Let me know when your word is canon, until then choke on a dick smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:09 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

1. Drallig came to Dooku's mind before the B-team as a premier swordsman of the Order, so that's at least a possibility. Is it factually confirmed that the B-team are better? Otherwise, he could well be better than Saesee at least. Also, Galen was losing to TFU Shaak.

2. It's always been canon. For I am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GuEYrRN5SE

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:20 AM
cs_zoltan

Give me a reason why would Mace not pick Drallig if he was better than the B-Team and also available. Shaak was charged with the defense of the Temple, so you can't even bring that up as an excuse.

And yeah Galen was losing to her...before his prime, duh.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:30 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

1. Who said Shaak was the only defender? Drallig was the head of the Temple Guard, head of the Temple Security Force, and the Battlemaster; it seems to me that he was also there to defend the Temple and protect/teach the padawans. Mace mentions bringing "three of the best", not "the three best".

So anyway, there's your reason. And now it's time for you to prove that the B-team is definitively above Drallig. What proof is there? Dooku mentioning Drallig instead of the B-team alongside Obi-Wan puts him in rather high esteem and implies that he's a level 8. His accolades about being unparalleled or nearly unparalleled don't hurt either, and they're better than anything the B-team have.

2. What proof is there that he surpassed her? You said his fight against Vader doesn't count; that leaves us with him struggling with Maris Brood and Shadow Guards. erm

Last edited by SunRazer on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 09:47 AM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 09:42 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Drallig also lasted somewhat better against level 9 Vader than the B-team did against Palpatine, although Anakin was hindered.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:03 AM
cs_zoltan

1. Yet Shaak was explicitly in charge of the Temple not Drallig, RIP.

2. Dooku's opinion doesn't matter for shit considering he left the Order over a decade ago. He didn't even meet the padawan of his padawan until AotC laughing out loud

3. Lmao reiterating the same retarded points won't make it true. He still stomped Maris (and I don't recall the shadow gaurd atm so quote?). Besides he flat out states his skills improved since Nar Shaadda, as well as growing more powerful with each mission.

4. He did not lel. Drallig had help, Drallig was prepared, and he was still stomped. Never mind that Sidious > Anakin anyway.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2017 10:50 AM