KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Americans already feeling effects of climate change, says report

Americans already feeling effects of climate change, says report
Started by: Beniboybling

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by darthgoober
Yes we see SOME effects, but the scientist keep getting the outcome and timeframe wrong. If they can't get that right, then something within the science they're using is off and I'm not going to panic until there's some evidence that they've figured out what it is/was and accounted for it. I mean Hell, the preachers were probably right at least once or twice about one of the church members getting over cancer or something like that...

Once your prediction about the outcome of something has been PROVEN wrong, you've got to start over from square one and reevaluate the subject not just push back the deadline. And if you've been proven wrong multiple times, you need to start your evaluation from a slightly different direction rather than beginning with the exact same mindset and opening steps.
So it seems you're unwilling to do anything until the house is already burned down as a pile of ash is the only proof you'll accept, not the warnings from the fire marshal saying "yeah, don't have so many plugs in a single outlet, it could cause a fire". Not sure that's a good strategy, the ash strategy.

Another way to look at it, taking measures but nothing happens as it's all just a "Chinese Hoax", means we've made changes and spent money. As a side affect, we probably have less overall pollution. Not doing anything and it turns out all these scientist were onto something and it's all true, future generations are severely ****ed.

I'll give you some credit though, you didn't use the lazy "It's in God's hands!" dismissal.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 15th, 2017 at 09:51 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 09:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Was anyone aware all the hottest years have been 12, 30 and 70 years ago?

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 09:54 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Robtard
So it seems you're unwilling to do anything until the house is already burned down as a pile of ash is the only proof you'll accept, not the warnings from the fire marshal saying "yeah, don't have so many plugs in a single outlet, it could cause a fire". Not sure that's a good strategy, the ash strategy.

Another way to look at it, taking measures but nothing happens as it's all just a "Chinese Hoax", means we've made changes and spent money. As a side affect, we probably have less overall pollution. Not doing anything and it turns out all these scientist were onto something and it's all true, future generations are severely ****ed.

I'll give you some credit though, you didn't use the lazy "It's in God's hands!" dismissal.

I'm unwilling to do anythin until the Firemen(who've been proven wrong repeatedly) show some concrete evidence that there's a serious threat of fire. I myself am poor and don't support anything that might cost me money unless there's a solid reason for me to shell out the cash. So if the changes involve any increase to my cost of living whatsoever, then yeah I'm against it.

I do understand your reasoning though. A lot of religious people feel the same way "If there's no God then I've lost nothing but the extra effort of living my life religiously, but if there is then I'm covered when I die".

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 09:55 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Except of course you're not solely burdening the cost of a power-strip. It would quit literally cost you just a few cents, your life wouldn't change much, if at all :/

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 09:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Sable
Was anyone aware all the hottest years have been 12, 30 and 70 years ago?

I bet you the Chinese knew when they made up the Climate Change hoax

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 09:59 PM
darthgoober

Except of course you're not solely burdening the cost of a power-strip. It would quit literally cost you just a few cents, your life wouldn't change much, if at all :/

Hey if they can concretely prove that the measures they want to take will cost me less than an extra buck spent over the course of my entire life I might support them. But between tax increases to make the change and an increase in my utility bill I somehow suspect that's not the case. I have 2 kids and both are low/mid functioning autistics so there's little/no chance of me ever ending up with grandkids. My responsibilities are to them and myself alone, I'm not going to support anything that theoretically takes away from them for the benefit of anyone else's great grandchildren.

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:10 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:07 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

I bet you the Chinese knew when they made up the Climate Change hoax

But where you aware its cooling off, and the earths hottest years are 12, 30 and 70 years ago?

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:11 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Hey if they can concretely prove that the measures they want to take will cost me less than an extra buck spent over the course of my entire life I might support them. But between tax increases to make the change and an increase in my utility bill I somehow suspect that's not the case. I have 2 kids and both are low/mid functioning autistics so there's little/no chance of me ever ending up with grandkids. My responsibilities are to them and myself alone, I'm not going to support anything that theoretically takes away from them for the benefit of anyone else's great grandchildren.

The changes proposed now are very gradual and you'd barely feel it, if at all, as noted, no one sensible is saying we're stopping driving cars tomorrow and running factories on rainbows. Waiting until the shit hits the fan though and fecal matter gets flung all around/on enveryone, then changes would be drastic and you'd most definitely feel that along with your autistic twins. Since you only care about yourself as Jesus intended. (kudos though, that autistic part was funny)

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:15 PM
darthgoober

The changes proposed now are very gradual and you'd barely feel it, if at all, as noted, no one sensible is saying we're stopping driving cars tomorrow and running factories on rainbows. Waiting until the shit hits the fan though and fecal matter gets flung all around/on enveryone, then changes would be drastic and you'd most definitely feel that along with your autistic twins. Since you only care about yourself as Jesus intended. (kudos though, that autistic part was funny)

My kids are in fact austistic. You don't have to believe me if you choose not to, but it was a fact not a joke. But I never said they were twins. David's 13 and Ariel's 8.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:17 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

But where you aware its cooling off, and the earths hottest years are 12, 30 and 70 years ago?

So it's actually Global Cooling? Are you the Mirror Universe version of Al Gore? That would be Al Gore with a goatee.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:17 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

My kids are in fact austistic. You don't have to believe me if you choose not to, but it was a fact not a joke. But I never said they were twins. David's 13 and Ariel's 8.

Wasn't aware, thought you were using an extreme example to illustrate a point.

Still, what I said doesn't change. Now is more sensible than waiting until it's too late. To go back to the fire comparison. A power strip is cheaper than rebuilding a house that wasn't insured.

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:24 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:19 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

So it's actually Global Cooling? Are you the Mirror Universe version of Al Gore? That would be Al Gore with a goatee.

Al Gores movies have completly flopped. Supposidly according to polls a majority of people believe in global warming but when presented with a movie that caters to them, they dont support it. His latest movie was a flop.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:22 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

No, he's just incorrect.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/19...r-on-record.htm

"Climate change skeptics have pointed to 1934 in the U.S. as proof that recent hot years are not unusual. Choosing the year 1934 is an obvious example of "cherry-picking" a single fact that supports a claim, while ignoring the rest of the data. In fact they have to cherry pick both a location (the U.S.) and a year (1934) to find data that is far from the global trend. Globally, the years 2014, 2015 and 2016 are the hottest on record, so far."

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:26 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Al Gores movies have completly flopped. Supposidly according to polls a majority of people believe in global warming but when presented with a movie that caters to them, they dont support it. His latest movie was a flop.

I'm sure Al Gore is devastated by this news. But his first film made around 50 million on a 2million budget. Not too shabby.

Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

2005 was the hottest year.

darthgoober

Wasn't aware, thought you were using an extreme example to illustrate a point.

Still, what I said doesn't change. Now is more sensible than waiting until it's too late. To go back to the fire comparison. A power strip is cheaper than rebuilding a house that wasn't insured.

No it's true here's another quote from me just so you don't think it's something I'm making it up on the fly...

My name is David.
I'm 36 years old.
2 kids, both autistic(and most in my life suspect that I'm somewhere on the spectrum as well).
Joined the forum 11 years ago
I created the Battlezone top to bottom and won the first BZ ever.
Former tourney champion.

And I'mevryone's favorite poster whether they want to admit it or not stick out tongue

When they can actually show me that there's something to be alarmed about within my kids lifetimes, I'll worry. But again, they've been wrong repeatedly so I'm not about to voluntrily alter my lifestyle in any way that make our lives more difficult/complicated than they already are until they show that they have the science down pat on the subject. I altered my lifestyle for years when I was younger because of all the eco friendly cries about things like deforestation, recycling, and global warming only to later find out that a lot of the stuff they were saying was BS. I'm not about to do it again now that I have disabled children to look after in the present.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:27 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by BackFire
global trend.

"global mean temperature" is the term. since they are unable/unwilling to comprehend it's meaning, they declare victory.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:28 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:28 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

No it's true here's another quote from me just so you don't think it's something I'm making it up on the fly...

When they can actually show me that there's something to be alarmed about within my kids lifetimes, I'll worry. But again, they've been wrong repeatedly so I'm not about to voluntrily alter my lifestyle in any way that make our lives more difficult/complicated than they already are until they show that they have the science down pat on the subject. I altered my lifestyle for years when I was younger because of all the eco friendly cries about things like deforestation, recycling, and global warming only to later find out that a lot of the stuff they were saying was BS. I'm not about to do it again now that I have disabled children to look after in the present.

I believed you the first time you explained.

Okay then. Good talk regardless.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:29 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by BackFire
No, he's just incorrect.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/19...r-on-record.htm

"Climate change skeptics have pointed to 1934 in the U.S. as proof that recent hot years are not unusual. Choosing the year 1934 is an obvious example of "cherry-picking" a single fact that supports a claim, while ignoring the rest of the data. In fact they have to cherry pick both a location (the U.S.) and a year (1934) to find data that is far from the global trend. Globally, the years 2014, 2015 and 2016 are the hottest on record, so far."

Hmmm. What a weird thing to lie and cherry pick about.

Is 2017 on the path to be the hottest? Cos if so, I see an odd trend and I'm not even a real super-scientist

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:32 PM