KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Feminism: Is it a bad thing?

Feminism: Is it a bad thing?
Started by: Steve Zodiac

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

Jokes aside, my view generally fits into line of that presented by DMB.

The issue with the feminist movement currently, the third wave, is that it seems to complain and attack petty non-issues, like where a mans legs are positioned when sitting down. When they do try to address something that has a semblance of a legitimate point - such the lacking number of women in certain fields - they only point it out for comfy high paying jobs and not the more gritty, heavy labour positions with a high injury rate that men tend to dominate.

Furthermore, third wave feminists seem to be attacking their predecessors in the second wave, which basically constitutes to eating their own movement. For example, a lot of third waves feminists were up in arms about a second wave feminist like Germaine Greer for refusing to accept transgender women into the overall feminist movement. Furthermore, the third wave often points fingers at the second wave claiming that it is a racist movement that only looked out for the interests of white women.

Modern third wave feminism doesn't seem to be doing anyone any favours.

Last edited by RHaggis on Oct 29th, 2017 at 01:19 PM

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 01:17 PM
RHaggis is currently offline Click here to Send RHaggis a Private Message Find more posts by RHaggis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RHaggis
Jokes aside, my view generally fits into line of that presented by DMB
U know somethings wrong when you start a sentence like this. sad

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 01:50 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

Originally posted by Beniboybling
U know somethings wrong when you start a sentence like this. sad

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 02:12 PM
RHaggis is currently offline Click here to Send RHaggis a Private Message Find more posts by RHaggis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

For example, a lot of third waves feminists were up in arms about a second wave feminist like Germaine Greer for refusing to accept transgender women into the overall feminist movement. Furthermore, the third wave often points fingers at the second wave claiming that it is a racist movement that only looked out for the interests of white women.

Right, partaking in a social equality movement removes you from criticism for discriminative stances.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 06:32 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Right, partaking in a social equality movement removes you from criticism for discriminative stances.

You seem to have missed my point entirely and in your failure to comprehend it have committed a strawman.

The point is that feminism seems to be eating itself, not that being a part of a particular movement makes you devoid of criticism.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 08:01 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

You seem to have missed my point entirely and in your failure to comprehend it have committed a strawman.

The point is that feminism seems to be eating itself, not that being a part of a particular movement makes you devoid of criticism.

Recognizing the mistakes of a movement is not the same as eating it.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 11:41 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Feminism is it a bad thing?

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Personally, I have no problem with equality of sexes. What are your thoughts?

Feminism as a concept is great.

As an institution, it makes great theater.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 12:40 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Men and women are equal in the west, now; perhaps feminism should seek to help women overseas who are literally treated as animals.

Women in the west have it great, it's time to stop blaming sexism and the patriarchy on their own choices and shortcomings.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 01:00 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Foxsteak
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the whole atheist movement and FemFreq bullshit was what sparked the whole shit.

Atheist talk about how christianity is dumb, yet they are mostly men who like women. Women were obviously treated differently because they care more about social issues rather than actual science. This was a huge difference and trolls leaped onto it. I mean, lots of comedy is based around gender roles in society, so is literally 90% of all entertainment. Sexuality is a part of human nature and now everything has just been blown out into the open to the point where conservative men just kinda don't bother anymore only for the SJWs to turn on each other.

And then you have Anita Sarkesian. A millenial "gamer" who claims to know anything more than a communications studies course and barely knows anything about humanities or video games (I mean, she doesn't even know who Lara Croft is) and she only got famous because of trolls making fun of her. She's famous for being stupid..... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she liked Bernie, then leapt on Hillary.

InfoBoards: 1 millionth post game regains popularity! . Stockholm syndrome has spread throughout KMC . Surtur reports a "change" in the forum . Super Noodles Vitality only £1.00 . AAAARGH!

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 02:10 AM
Foxsteak is currently offline Click here to Send Foxsteak a Private Message Find more posts by Foxsteak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Short answer --> No

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 02:12 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Foxsteak
[B]I think the whole atheist movement and FemFreq bullshit was what sparked the whole shit.

Atheist talk about how christianity is dumb, yet they are mostly men who like women.

Maybe if the Chrisitianity movement didn't spend centuries helping enforce sexism, there wouldn't have been as big a need for feminism in the first place.

But sure, the sexuality of atheists is the problem here.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:25 AM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Trocity
Men and women are equal in the west, now; perhaps feminism should seek to help women overseas who are literally treated as animals.

Women in the west have it great, it's time to stop blaming sexism and the patriarchy on their own choices and shortcomings.

thumb up thumb up thumb up

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:26 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

You're acting as if modern feminism is somehow correcting the mistakes of past feminism, however feminism in the past was observably a much more reasonable movement than it is today.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:28 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Emperordmb
You're acting as if modern feminism is somehow correcting the mistakes of past feminism, however feminism in the past was observably a much more reasonable movement than it is today.

That's not what I said. But criticizing modern feminism for critiquing the history of their movement is stupid.

I'm sure there's plenty of other valid critiques to be made, but that isn't one of them.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:34 AM
Raisen

Originally posted by Trocity

thumb up

average woman has more liberty and less responsibility than the average man

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:35 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

That's not what I said. But criticizing modern feminism for critiquing the history of their movement is stupid.

I'm sure there's plenty of other valid critiques to be made, but that isn't one of them.

Except one of the critiques of their history that Rhaggis mentioned is largely incoherent. The claim that feminism before third wave feminism was somehow racist is completely unfounded, and what they're really complaining about is that feminism in the past didn't place a disproportionate focus on women of color. Basically their critique of feminism comes from the fact that it wasn't a racialized movement in the past and they think it should be one that is racialized now, and I think that's an absurd thing to claim racism over.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:39 AM
Foxsteak
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe if the Chrisitianity movement didn't spend centuries helping enforce sexism, there wouldn't have been as big a need for feminism in the first place.

But sure, the sexuality of atheists is the problem here.
I think you completely missed the point.......

InfoBoards: 1 millionth post game regains popularity! . Stockholm syndrome has spread throughout KMC . Surtur reports a "change" in the forum . Super Noodles Vitality only £1.00 . AAAARGH!

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:44 AM
Foxsteak is currently offline Click here to Send Foxsteak a Private Message Find more posts by Foxsteak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

He seems to be on a **** Christianity bend tonight.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 03:51 AM
Foxsteak
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just for clarity's sake, I was saying that the atheist movement, like the science industry, was dominated by men. When women went onto the scene, social issues such as race and sexism (which of course has roots in le evil christianity) were brought about despite the appeal of the movement being atheists can't into science.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 11:22 AM
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

The thing is, the third wave aren't merely "recognising the mistakes" of the movement, they are creating them from thin air. As DMB already highlighted, they made the second wave out to be racist with no actual backing for this. They just assumed that since a lot of them were white woman then surely it must be racist, right?

Instead of building off of what the past incarnations of feminism have done they're turning around and spitting on it. While simultaneously conjuring up other stupid bullshit like manspreading or mansplaining to complain about while women in third world countries genuinely suffer from proper sexism.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 12:19 PM