KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Systematic Issues

Systematic Issues
Started by: Rockydonovang

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Afro Cheese

quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe there aren't that many instances of voter fraud because there are rules in place? It makes sense logically that less people will attempt to commit an act if there is a law against it.
Or that they just aren't all the good at/dedicated to finding instances of voter fraud in the first place. "31 confirmed cases" (assuming that figure is even legit) only means that 31 people got caught. Not that there have only been 31 instances of false identity/voter fraud throughout the years.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 05:28 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
that's weird. I thought SS cards were only for citizens; hence why illegals sometimes have to use a stolen/fake SS number to gain legit employment.

Apparently not. I studied in the US for some time. Maybe that's why I got it.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 06:20 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe there aren't that many instances of voter fraud because there are rules in place? It makes sense logically that less people will attempt to commit an act if there is a law against it.

we already have 18 sates where no id is required, and many more that require a signature rather than photo ID.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 06:29 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Stigma

I noticed you did not answer my simple question directed at you. Can you answer it? Let me repost it.

No you shouldn't. However if there's no evidence of may people like you voting, and we know there are thousands and thousands of people who voter id laws are deterring from voting, what exactly is the point of the restriction.

The only way to argue for voter ID restrictions is from a pragmatic standpoint, however that gets you nowhere as there remains no evidence of widespread voter fraud.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 06:32 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

[B]Such as? I assume drugs? I figure it is more for keeping you away from others when you're under the influemce so that you don't harm others (violate their rights)

Uh yeah, that's now what jail is for. Jail is for crimes, not potential crimes you may or may not commit.

Again, such as? If it was petty theft, you're still a criminal and have shown poor character. If you have comitted several minor crimes it also shows a trend of untrustworthy behavior that should be highlighted during the hiring process. Your actions have consequences. If you don't want unfavorable outcomes, don't do stupid things.

Prison is a consequence. The government has no business trying to stretch said punishments into life-time ones. If an employer is really concerned about someone who was a robber a couple years ago or who's done weed, then it's their responsibility to find it out, not the government's.

I do think not allowing them to vote after they have served their time is wrong.
I don't see a problem with making them work. They broke the law and are being punished. Labor is one of the ways to do so.

Uh, what? Why is slavery an acceptable form of punishment?

it could be said the requirements have helped combat voter fraud hence why it is so low.

There are still 18 states which don't have any requirements, and none of those states has produced evidence of widespread voter fraud.
quote:

The rest of these things are a problem and should be fixed. /

Sweet

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 06:37 PM
Afro Cheese

Apparently not. I studied in the US for some time. Maybe that's why I got it.
So what would stop you from also getting a photo ID here? Like I said you don't actually need a Birth Certificate. I got one once just using a SS card and a college transcript.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 07:30 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
we already have 18 sates where no id is required, and many more that require a signature rather than photo ID.
And in those states we would probably never know if people are voting who shouldn't be voting. That's part of the point: if you never IDed anyone at a given bar then you would have 0 confirmed cases of minors being served because you aren't checking for that in the first place.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 07:32 PM
Afro Cheese

No you shouldn't. However if there's no evidence of may people like you voting, and we know there are thousands and thousands of people who voter id laws are deterring from voting, what exactly is the point of the restriction.

The only way to argue for voter ID restrictions is from a pragmatic standpoint, however that gets you nowhere as there remains no evidence of widespread voter fraud.
Once again you are using a pragmatic argument to argue against IDs; that you don't believe voter fraud is likely to happen regardless. You seemingly agree with the "principle" that non-citizens shouldn't be able to vote, you just naively assume that it won't happen even if there's no mechanism in place to stop it from happening. But according to your own logic, if there were more confirmed cases of voter fraud then you would possibly agree that IDs should be required. So your argument rests entirely on pragmatism; I.E. no need to tackle an issue that you don't see as real.

Last edited by Afro Cheese on Nov 11th, 2017 at 07:35 PM

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 07:33 PM
Raisen

https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/...gnore-the-facts

http://www.heritage.org/election-in...ins/voter-fraud

http://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/le...strationpdf.pdf

I've provided several sources.

voter fraud is real rock.

please don't simply ascribe to an ideology contrary to common sense. you're being played

if you research well enough it will be proven that having an id is not "raci ist" and does not significantly reduced voting. please come out of that bubble

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 07:59 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

No you shouldn't.

Thanks for answering.

Well, in that case:

How can you stop me from voting in the US without proper ID laws? What if all tourists that are in the US during the election time choose to vote just for giggles?

I think you see my point.

However if there's no evidence of may people like you voting, and we know there are thousands and thousands of people who voter id laws are deterring from voting, what exactly is the point of the restriction.

If nothing stops me from simply walking into a voting booth without my identity checked first then there is no way to even check if voter fraud is massive or not.

Once again you are using a pragmatic argument to argue against IDs; that you don't believe voter fraud is likely to happen regardless. You seemingly agree with the "principle" that non-citizens shouldn't be able to vote, you just naively assume that it won't happen even if there's no mechanism in place to stop it from happening. But according to your own logic, if there were more confirmed cases of voter fraud then you would possibly agree that IDs should be required. So your argument rests entirely on pragmatism; I.E. no need to tackle an issue that you don't see as real.

Exactly thumb up

Last edited by Stigma on Nov 12th, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 12:20 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

So what would stop you from also getting a photo ID here? Like I said you don't actually need a Birth Certificate. I got one once just using a SS card and a college transcript.

Well.... I guess nothing. TBH I never realized how retarded US laws concerning voting and identity cards are until now. TBH it seems you're right. Next time I'm in the US I'm getting me some sweet, sweet American ID stick out tongue

Last edited by Stigma on Nov 12th, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 12:22 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Again, the "principle" of voter fraud doesn't supersede the
"principle" of citizens being able to indiscriminately patriciate in the democratic process.

I'm using the pragmatic argument because the pragmatic argument is the only way one could hope to argue for voting restrictions. However the Pragmatic argument completely falls apart because there's no evidence it's doing more good than bad. We know it's massively lowing voter turnout, but we have no evidence it's having any noteworthy effect on voter fraud.

There's simply no basis to argue for preventing thousands of people from voting in every state when the proof of voter fraud is virtually non existent.

Unless you can prove voter restrictions prevent more non-citizens from voting than actual citizens, it's simply bad policy.

Now I'm open to having voter ID laws and having the voter ID be easy for anyone to receive. However untill you've successfully managed to do that, there is no pragmatic or principle based justification for a law that prevents tens of thousands of people from participating in the democratic process.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Nov 12th, 2017 at 06:08 PM

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 06:03 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Thanks for answering.

If nothing stops me from simply walking into a voting booth without my identity checked first then there is no way to even check if voter fraud is massive or not.

So why would we enact policy we know lowers voter turnout based on an unknown?

We know it does bad, we don't know if it does good, how is that a solid basis for enacting policy?

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Nov 12th, 2017 at 06:08 PM

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 06:05 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Again, you need documentation that costs hundreds of bucks to qualify for those ID's.

Give me solid proof, 100%, of what you just said. I know people who got ID's and didn't spend that much. So...they lied to me, I guess?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2017 11:36 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Surtur
Give me solid proof, 100%, of what you just said. I know people who got ID's and didn't spend that much. So...they lied to me, I guess?

I corrected my statement, they can be forced to pay up to over a hundred bucks.

And, yeah, there are people who don't have to pay as much. However we don't legislate policy based on cherrypicked anecdotal evidence. And frankly it shouldn't matter the amount. Making someone pay to vote is the equivalent of the poll taxes that were levied against people in the 60's.

There's no justification for people having to pay to vote.
The source is the one I've provided.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2017 03:06 AM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

So why would we enact policy we know lowers voter turnout based on an unknown?

We know it does bad, we don't know if it does good, how is that a solid basis for enacting policy?

No, no. I understand your point thumb up

I just think Afro Cheese thoroughly asnwered that concern of yours, so I'm not going to basically restate what he said.

I also think as long as a non-US citizen like myself can easily vote in US election in many states you mentioned, there's something fundamentally wrong about the laws.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2017 12:03 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

That seems like a poor practice imo. Really nothing to stop somebody from voting more than once.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 12:17 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Uh yeah, that's now what jail is for. Jail is for crimes, not potential crimes you may or may not commit.

So you don't imprison murderers to also keep them from murdering others? Hmmm. okay.

Also, drug use is a crime so you should be punished.

Prison is a consequence. The government has no business trying to stretch said punishments into life-time ones. If an employer is really concerned about someone who was a robber a couple years ago or who's done weed, then it's their responsibility to find it out, not the government's.

So no one should ever know the crimes you have committed? I don't agree with that at all. Don't commit crimes if you are worried about the ramifications later. It's as simple as that.

The employer does find out...with a background check. lol How else are they going to come up with your criminal history, your honesty?

Uh, what? Why is slavery an acceptable form of punishment?

If you can't see the difference between slavery and conditions of imprisonment for criminal activity then I really don't know what to say.

There are still 18 states which don't have any requirements, and none of those states has produced evidence of widespread voter fraud.

It would be hard to know if there's fraud if you don't have any way to check it. lol

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 12:30 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

It would be hard to know if there's fraud if you don't have any way to check it. lol

California registers people to vote at the DMV when they get their DL and they allow illegal immigrants to get DL now. So yeah, let's not pretend that there isn't some level of voter fraud.

Maybe NY has a similar policy in place now?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 03:22 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by snowdragon
California registers people to vote at the DMV when they get their DL and they allow illegal immigrants to get DL now. So yeah, let's not pretend that there isn't some level of voter fraud.

Maybe NY has a similar policy in place now?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but I'm under no illusion that there isn't voter fraud.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 03:23 PM