KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies

DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ That they weren't accepted with higher scores is what I gathered from the article. More under privileged minorities got the nod instead

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 05:58 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
^ That they weren't accepted with higher scores is what I gathered from the article. More under privileged minorities got the nod instead
As it should be, good for Harvard. Equality doesn't mean equal treatment it means a levelled playing field and equalled opportunities. Even for poor people who had to work twice as hard to get any opportunity.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:17 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
As it should be, good for Harvard. Equality doesn't mean equal treatment it means a levelled playing field and equalled opportunities. Even for poor people who had to work twice as hard to get any opportunity.

I disagree. Equality definitely means equal treatment. Poverty doesn't keep you from becoming educated. Your devotion or lack thereof is what determines whether you will succeed academically or not. It's not like there aren't any people who came from poor families but still succeeded.

I definitely think access to education should be cheaper so more people can afford to go, but I am strongly against lowering the bar for some just because of race, sex, religion, etc.

Last edited by socool8520 on Nov 21st, 2017 at 06:32 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:29 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Kurk
I wonder what will happen in 50 years when whites are the minority...
You will be rounded up, and then... sad

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:33 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I disagree. Equality definitely means equal treatment. Poverty doesn't keep you from becoming educated. Your devotion or lack thereof is what determines whether you will succeed academically or not.
Of course equality doesn't mean equal treatment. If you are physically handicapped you need to be pushed to your destination to be able to have a chance. If you are a person living in poverty, hardly able to get enough food with alcoholic parents and you almost get to Harvard, you should get the nod over someone who had a 200 million trust fund and barely got in. It's clear who the better and more talented individual is.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:34 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

If any form of positive discrimination is to take place, it should be simply towards those from impoverished backgrounds, regardless of skin colour. This race thing is really just becoming a fetish to make people feel good about themselves and get PR by being "diverse".

But of course that will never happen, because what folks really don't like are poor people. sad

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:36 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling
If any form of positive discrimination is to take place, it should be simply towards those from impoverished backgrounds, regardless of skin colour. This race thing is really just becoming a fetish to make people feel good about themselves and get PR by being "diverse".

But of course that will never happen, because what folks really don't like are poor people. sad
Exactly and my argument from the start. Equality for all.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:38 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course equality doesn't mean equal treatment. If you are physically handicapped you need to be pushed to your destination to be able to have a chance. If you are a person living in poverty, hardly able to get enough food with alcoholic parents and you almost get to Harvard, you should get the nod over someone who had a 200 million trust fund and barely got in. It's clear who the better and more talented individual is.

Wait, what? You need more than just money to go to Harvard. You need intelligence. So why would a poor person who almost gets in be the clear superior(talent wise) to a rich person barely getting in? What does that even mean? And where does being a better person come into play in all this?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:46 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
Wait, what? You need more than just money to go to Harvard. You need intelligence. So why would a poor person who almost gets in be the clear superior(talent wise) to a rich person barely getting in? What does that even mean? And where does being a better person come into play in all this?
Sit and think about it, you'll work it out, but probably you won't. Silly Rabbit.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:47 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Of course equality doesn't mean equal treatment. If you are physically handicapped you need to be pushed to your destination to be able to have a chance.

If you are a person living in poverty, hardly able to get enough food with alcoholic parents and you almost get to Harvard, you should get the nod over someone who had a 200 million trust fund and barely got in. It's clear who the better and more talented individual is.

In this instance you are implying a handicap. Of course they are not equal at that point. Being poor is a disadvantage but it doesn't impede your ability to learn. Math is still math no matter what school you go to. Same with the other subjects. There are free tutoring programs and such for aiding poor children with learning.

You're pushing extremes to try to justify your point. Show me statistically where this is the case a significant amount of the time and I'll consider your point. Not to mention, if the kid barely got in, he can't afford to go there anyway. Now if you want to talk about the travesty that is the over priced cost of education, I'll be right there with you.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:48 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Being poor is a disadvantage but it doesn't impede your ability to learn.

deficient school systems in impoverished areas have no impact on individual education? interesting hypothesis.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:49 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Sit and think about it, you'll work it out, but probably you won't. Silly Rabbit.

Well no because you didn't state that the poor kid spent more time studying, worked harder, etc. You just said they both barely got in. You can't project your bias against the rich onto others and expect them to get your point.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:50 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So you said something stupid and you're trying to pretend like it wasn't stupid and that you're just being misunderstood? Okay.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:50 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

In this instance you are implying a handicap. Of course they are not equal at that point. Being poor is a disadvantage but it doesn't impede your ability to learn.
http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed...Engagement.aspx

Do you know how many studies around the world make that the most ill-informed comment ever?

Seriously... Trumpers.

Don't get me start on restricted and elaborated code etc.

It's honestly incredible how thick you people are.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac on Nov 21st, 2017 at 06:56 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:52 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I guess so talking head on Youtube said Poverty doesn't affect Education.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:55 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
deficient school systems in impoverished areas have no impact on individual education? interesting hypothesis.

I made high marks in poor school districts as did many other children I went to school with. Did they teach a different kind of math at the school you went to? Did they teach it at all? If they didn't, then I can see your point. I also pointed out programs that are available for poor families if there are textbook shortages and such. Hell, we had to double up at a couple of the schools I attended as a child. If you are focused on education, you can succeed. My parents, luckily, were advocates for education.

Here's one:

https://www.usnews.com/news/article...ollege-for-free

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:56 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

In this instance you are implying a handicap. Of course they are not equal at that point. Being poor is a disadvantage but it doesn't impede your ability to learn. Math is still math no matter what school you go to. Same with the other subjects. There are free tutoring programs and such for aiding poor children with learning.
Poverty doesn't effect the quality of a person's education... wat?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:57 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

I made high marks in poor school districts

define "poor". you're from an impoverished ghetto, or do you consider working class neighborhoods "poor" to suit your anecdotal evidence?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:58 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg

It's so retarded and flies in the face of every Educational statistic on the effects of Poverty on Education ever. I realised again who the hell I am trying to talk to.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:58 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Poverty doesn't effect the quality of a person's education... wat?
Not in Socool and Surtur's Alt-Right wonderland. To the gas chambers with the poor!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 06:59 PM