KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies

DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

One of a million studies that says otherwise.

https://lsuonline.lsu.edu/articles/...-education.aspx

And almost every Educational study anywhere in the World says the same.
Which is why equality does not mean treating everyone the same.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:01 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
I made high marks in poor school districts as did many other children I went to school with.
You're andecdotal evidence is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

quote:
Did they teach a different kind of math at the school you went to? Did they teach it at all? If they didn't, then I can see your point.
State schools compared to privately funded schools may well teach the same syllabus, but the private school will absolutely teach it better, that's why people pay. erm

quote:
I also pointed out programs that are available for poor families if there are textbook shortages and such. Hell, we had to double up at a couple of the schools I attended as a child. If you are focused on education, you can succeed. My parents, luckily, were advocates for education.
Almost certainly yes, and there are many examples of this, but a person from a poorer background will absolutely have a harder time of it, plenty of research has been done on this.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:01 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Not in Socool and Surtur's Alt-Right wonderland. To the gas chambers with the poor!

^^Dripping with autism.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling

Almost certainly yes, and there are many examples of this, but a person from a poorer background will absolutely have a harder time of it, plenty of research has been done on this.
Beni mate, take the red pill and realise who the **** you are arguing with... It's ****ing scary mate.

Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Surtur
Wait, what? You need more than just money to go to Harvard. You need intelligence.

In the fall of 1973, [George W.] Bush entered Harvard Business School. He graduated in 1975 with an MBA degree. -snip

/checkmate

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Surtur
^^Dripping with autism.
Irony.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:04 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
In the fall of 1973, [George W.] Bush entered Harvard Business School. He graduated in 1975 with an MBA degree. -snip

/checkmate
Did laugh!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:04 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by quanchi112
Irony.

Bingo! The Quan nails it!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:05 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yikes, Steve says some dumb shit and suddenly everyone has to come high five each other lol. Okay. That is some nice E-loyalty.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:07 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed...Engagement.aspx

Do you know how many studies around the world make that the most ill-informed comment ever?

Seriously... Trumpers.

Don't get me start on restricted and elaborated code etc.

It's honestly incredible how thick you people are.

Nutrition:

There's free lunch programs and food stamps/WIC programs.

Vocabulary:

Books....read them. I recommend a dictionary if you want to broaden your vocabulary. I know every school I went to had them. I had to copy from one several times.

Effort:

That was just a weak underlying cause.

Hope and growth:

Instill the value of education in your children and hope and growth should rise. Even in poor families.

Cognition:

Kids shut down more if they are poor I guess? Take advantage of tutoring programs and mentor your children.

Relationships:

Don't really know what to say about that. Some things you will have to overcome like being from a single parent home.

Stress:

This could help and could be found with very little research.

http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/mhealth-care.html

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:07 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Beni mate, take the red pill and realise who the **** you are arguing with... It's ****ing scary mate.
The poor are just lazy, that's why they underachieve. sad

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:08 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Nutrition:

Vocabulary:

Books....read them. I recommend a dictionary if you want to broaden your vocabulary. I know every school I went to had them. I had to copy from one several times.

Effort:

Hope and growth:

Instill the value of education in your children and hope and growth should rise. Even in poor families.

Cognition:

Kids shut down more if they are poor I guess? Take advantage of tutoring programs and mentor your children.

Relationships:

Don't really know what to say about that. Some things you will have to overcome like being from a single parent home.

Stress:

The fact that there exist solutions does not mean there isn't a problem, my bro. sad

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:10 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nutrition:

Vocabulary:

Effort:

Hope and growth:

Cognition:

Relationships:

Stress:

In the UK we had a character called Tory Boy who would say shit like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQ_tbf6j2A

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:11 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not lost on you then. thumb up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQ_tbf6j2A

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:12 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Affirmative action is good in theory, but poor in practice. As we had more qualified people left on the curb and positions filled by the less qualified and when it comes to jobs like the Police, Fire, Medical Emergency etc., you want the most qualified, regardless of their skin color.

But is Asians were not "minority enough", meaning there was no clear discrimination against them in the amount of courses/classes, then what exactly is there to be upset over.
None of the jobs you just listed require any sort of skill or achievement to where affirmative action is needed to get in lol.

You will be rounded up, and then... sad

I'm actually not anglo-saxon. Nice confirmation bias, though. I put down white on forms, but am in a group of people who are discriminated against. Can you guess?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:15 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

You're andecdotal evidence is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

State schools compared to privately funded schools may well teach the same syllabus, but the private school will absolutely teach it better, that's why people pay. erm

I guess if I read how I have no chance like you guys assume poor people don't then I probably wouldn't have amounted to anything. lol

You can still learn it though. It's not like they are holding secrets to education from you.

Yes, I have stated they'll have a harder time, but they still have the same capability for learning. At some point you just have to put in the work and stop crying about how much easier someone else has it. If you want a good education, work hard for it.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:15 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

I don't think this is fair but University's do need some wiggle room on who to chose. Affirmative action does good and bad but if it wasn't present, it'd be full of legacies and deep pockets, the institution itself would suffer. Imo, a person with a 3.5 GPA coming from poverty is a far more qualified candidate than someone with a 3.9 GPA coming from wealth.

Coming from low income areas, with poor education, lack of resources, pressure from society AND family (Often) to not pursue higher education, the drive and determination needed to even qualify for Harvard? Shits tough. Low income areas are riddled with drugs, underfunding, lack of support.

Socoll what background are you from in terms of socio-economic? You should visit some of the high schools in the poor areas around you. Get an idea of the "resources" available.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:17 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

The fact that there exist solutions does not mean there isn't a problem, my bro. sad

Okay, but instead of using it as an excuse, take an advantage of the solutions. Someone will always have more than you or an advantage of some kind. Use what you got to succeed.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:17 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Nobody said that at all. Way to troll guys.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:18 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

And lol of course the type of school you go to matters. I went to a private school and guarantee I would be 10x the dumbass I am had I stayed in public schools.

Of course there are people like Ben Carson who climbed out of poverty and crime and go on to do amazing things, but even he relied on some level of affirmative action to get into Yale.

And no you cannot buy your way into Harvard unless you're Bill Gate's or Bush's kid. My counselor said that unless you're rich enough to buy the school a new building, having money will not help.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:18 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote