KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Doctor Sleep

Doctor Sleep
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
The Shining was pretentious garbage so not really interested in watching this one.

That's the first time I've heard that one.

Damn, I forgot to watch the trailer. I actually don't remember watching the previous one either.. hm...

Old Post Sep 10th, 2019 01:00 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Kazenji

Finally got around to watching this first trailer. Not sure what to think.

I fear that a large part of the charm of The Shining was the setting inside the big, spooky hotel. I mean, the hotel was seemingly mundane, but it of course became iconic. It doesn't seem like this will have much or any of that charm. So we'll see. Hope it's still interesting.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2019 01:28 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

^ I've never read the book of Doctor Sleep, So i'm not sure how much of that takes place at the Overlook.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2019 02:10 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

None of it.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Sep 12th, 2019 02:34 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Well, this seems to be getting decent reviews.

I'm hoping to finally show The Shining to my wife this weekend.. she's a scaredy-cat.. heh

Old Post Oct 31st, 2019 03:29 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Some positive reviews... I'm intrigued. *shrug*

RT

quote:
"Doctor Sleep is more interested in the lingering pain, and whether it's possible to come back from such trauma. In doing so, it steps out from the long shadow of the 1980 film, and becomes something great in its own right."

Oct 31, 2019
Brandon Zachary
CBR
quote:
"Masters a creative tightrope walk, managing to play with "The Shining" in inventive ways while remaining a King-inspired ride of macabre events and tortured minds."

Oct 31, 2019 | Rating: A-
Brian Orndorf
Blu-ray.com
quote:
"The occasional lapse in dialogue and unnecessary lull aside, this is a strong adaptation. It's scary and affecting and it brings one of King's best modern villains to life beautifully."

Oct 31, 2019 | Rating: 3/5
Jonathan Hatfull
SciFiNow

Old Post Oct 31st, 2019 06:47 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Seems like Stephen King has accepted Kubrick's movie of The Shining over time, going by alot of the promotional stuff for this movie.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2019 04:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Kazenji
Seems like Stephen King has accepted Kubrick's movie of The Shining over time, going by alot of the promotional stuff for this movie.

I noticed that in an article I read that quoted him several times. I was actually pretty surprised by that.
Must admit, i’m pretty interested in seeing this; they’ve done a good job w. their advertising. The early word of mouth is positive, the trailers are interesting w.out giving away too much, the cast seems solid.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2019 09:35 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Doctor Sleep was good and I enjoyed it, but the final act was very derivative and predictable. A lot of recreated shots and angles that are literally identical to the original.

Worth seeing, especially if you’re a fan of the Shining.

7.5/10

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Nov 10th, 2019 11:08 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

reeeeeeee

Old Post Nov 11th, 2019 12:03 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote:
Doctor Sleep was good and I enjoyed it, but the final act was very derivative and predictable. A lot of recreated shots and angles that are literally identical to the original.

Worth seeing, especially if you’re a fan of the Shining.

7.5/10

The ending was, I think, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: different from the book, just to stick all those shots in there. It makes a kind of sense, in that moviegoers might really want that connection to the first movie, visually, while those that read the book probably didn’t care.
Not saying there’s no overlap in the two groups, just that that might be the reason.
Well that and trading on the original’s success of course.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2019 01:45 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

So despite the movie being actually good, It's under performing at the box office, From what i've read.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2019 01:30 AM
Impediment
Endless

This movie is bombing because it's the sequel to a movie made in 1980.

This film is for way older audiences and not for this generation.

I bet, however, that this will obtain a cult following.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Nov 12th, 2019 01:31 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^so you’re saying we should start a cult.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2019 02:47 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Impediment
This movie is bombing because it's the sequel to a movie made in 1980.

This film is for way older audiences and not for this generation.

I bet, however, that this will obtain a cult following.

so.. The Cult of KMC???

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 12th, 2019 03:52 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Nah, let’s keep out the riff raff.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2019 05:03 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Well to be fair The Shining is basically a cult film, too.

I mean, it maybe has a little higher status because of Kubrick, but it's still very much a cult film.

I want to see Doctor Sleep, but not sure if I'll be able to get out while it's in theaters, though.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2019 12:48 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I watched this, the Director's Cut.

I was really surprised how good it is! It's best when it's doing its own thing, though, and not recreating scenes from The Shining (there was a little too much of that). "Member The Shining??!"

But yeah, this is great. Better than IT Chapter 2 for sure. That film should have been more like this.

I pretty fully agree with RLM on their review for this...

Old Post Feb 17th, 2020 12:44 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Haven't seen the movie as i missed out on it's cinema run, Whats the new scenes in the director's cut?

Old Post Feb 20th, 2020 04:04 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

didn't mind the film, was surprised it ran as long as it did and I liked the idea of the protagonist being much stronger than the antagonist right from the get go and pushing Danny to the secondary character didn't hurtt the film.

having said that, going back to the overlook hotel was dumb and the film dragged in some places for sure, also having Elliot from ET try and do a Jack Torrance was laughable

7/10

Old Post Feb 20th, 2020 09:09 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote