KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » We're pretty good

We're pretty good
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Defining "culture" is a bit nebulous anyway. Like, for every rant about "millenials" (a useless term invented by marketers), there's another study showing they're no less hard-working or respectful in the workplace. Different than previous generations (move jobs more, more tech-savvy, etc.) but not better or worse. Social media amplifies some of this stuff, but even a lot of the public outcries over stuff (both the constructive type and the idiotic type) mirror a lot of what has happened in any generation.

So if we're not talking about things we can measure, I have a hard time believing we're discussing anything more than one person's perspective.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 05:47 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So what does complaining about microaggressions or requiring a safe space from the likes of Christina Hoff Sommers mirror from the past? Genuinely curious. I'm curious about the scale as well. I'm sure in past generations we've had people triggered over some innocuous speaker merely because the speaker had views that opposed their own, but did we see it on the same scale as we are now?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 06:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Taking college math courses tends to be easier in high school too though, since the material is usually spread over two semesters rather than one.

I personally wouldn't recommend taking multiple math/science courses at once in your freshman year, Kurk, but it honestly depends on what you're shooting for.

You're right about everything. But my experience with college was not like that. High School was much harder. College was...write this paper, research this, write this paper, read this book and write this paper, etc. Even the technology courses where it got very intense...still wasn't that much more difficult than the high school stuff.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 07:49 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by dadudemon
Support your position with things like:

1. Suicide rates.
2. Mental health or the lack thereof.
3. Life satisfaction.
4. Socioeconomic Mobility.
5. Educational Attainment.
6. Home ownership.
7. Standard of living.

You can decry the moral decay of society and the destruction of the family unit all you want but if all measures of quality point to improvements, across the board, you're just a dumbass old man whining about the young people.

But, if you can prove that the moral decay and destruction of the family unit has direct and tangible negative impacts, why...you've got yourself a damn good point.

The biggest decay, IMHO, is the evidence that the genetic component of IQ has decreased over the past century for a variety of reasons, particularly deleterious mutation load.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 07:58 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by The Ellimist
The biggest decay, IMHO, is the evidence that the genetic component of IQ has decreased over the past century for a variety of reasons, particularly deleterious mutation load.

Where was this measured? Genuinely curious as I can see it being true.

eg I used to have a much better memory when in 20's, used to have close to thirty phone and pager(yeah, dated myself) numbers memorized in my head and could recall anyone of them flawlessly. Now I'm lucky if I can remember two as the need to remember is no longer there or more to the point, replaced by a machine (my phone) that does it for me.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 08:02 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 08:05 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Sounds about right. Just link me to a study.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 09:43 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Support your position with things like:

1. Suicide rates.
2. Mental health or the lack thereof.
3. Life satisfaction.
4. Socioeconomic Mobility.
5. Educational Attainment.
6. Home ownership.
7. Standard of living.

You can decry the moral decay of society and the destruction of the family unit all you want but if all measures of quality point to improvements, across the board, you're just a dumbass old man whining about the young people.

But, if you can prove that the moral decay and destruction of the family unit has direct and tangible negative impacts, why...you've got yourself a damn good point.

Okay so a lot of the standards by which we also measure societal prosperity such as the ones just mentioned by you and the ones mentioned by Ellimist would be seriously positively impacted by economic growth, advancement of technology, and advancement of scientific knowledge, which are all things I don't dispute we've made advances in, and I wasn't disputing the overall advancement of society, merely it's advancement along the dimension of culture. Saying that society overall is better than it was last decade doesn't discredit the point I'm making since all of that is linked to areas nobody would dispute we've made progress in such as scientific knowledge, technology, and economic growth.

I'll touch upon the destruction of the family unit since you mentioned that one. The single motherhood rate has been rising in every community for a while now, and single motherhood is the largest predictor of inter-generational poverty, as well as being linked with a whole host of other things, such as violent crime, teenage pregnancy, homelessness, dropping out of school, etc. as well as having a higher likelihood of dealing with psychological problems.
http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl..._children_.html
quote:
But Hetherington, who like Roiphe embraces changing family structures, also was honest enough to admit that divorce tends to double a child’s risk of a serious negative outcome. Specifically, she found that “twenty-five percent of youths from divorced families in comparison to 10 percent from non-divorced families did have serious social, emotional, or psychological problems.” Other research suggests that the children of never-married single parents tend to do somewhat worse than children of divorced single parents.
Take two contemporary social problems: teenage pregnancy and the incarceration of young males. Research by Sara McLanahan at Princeton University suggests that boys are significantly more likely to end up in jail or prison by the time they turn 30 if they are raised by a single mother. Specifically, McLanahan and a colleague found that boys raised in a single-parent household were more than twice as likely to be incarcerated, compared with boys raised in an intact, married home, even after controlling for differences in parental income, education, race, and ethnicity. Research on young men suggests they are less likely to engage in delinquent or illegal behavior when they have the affection, attention, and monitoring of their own mother and father.

I used this article specifically because as the opening sentence in the quote says the author and person who did the study are both in support of the shift in family structure, so what they are saying isn't exaggerated out of a bias against the changing family structure.

Here's another piece of information from the Brookings institute:
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/...e-middle-class/

quote:
Let politicians, schoolteachers and administrators, community leaders, ministers and parents drill into children the message that in a free society, they enter adulthood with three major responsibilities: at least finish high school, get a full-time job and wait until age 21 to get married and have children.

Our research shows that of American adults who followed these three simple rules, only about 2 percent are in poverty and nearly 75 percent have joined the middle class (defined as earning around $55,000 or more per year). There are surely influences other than these principles at play, but following them guides a young adult away from poverty and toward the middle class.

Consider an example. Today, more than 40 percent of American children, including more than 70 percent of black children and 50 percent of Hispanic children, are born outside marriage. This unprecedented rate of nonmarital births, combined with the nation’s high divorce rate, means that around half of children will spend part of their childhood—and for a considerable number of these all of their childhood — in a single-parent family. As hard as single parents try to give their children a healthy home environment, children in female-headed families are four or more times as likely as children from married-couple families to live in poverty. In turn, poverty is associated with a wide range of negative outcomes in children, including school dropout and out-of-wedlock births.

So it's not only harmful for the children born out of wedlock, but bears consequences for those in their adult lives as well.

Also a lot of the things I mentioned are pretty self-evidently bad, such as:

Propagandizing children with political ideology, often with taxpayer money, which I've pointed out happens both in public elementary schools, and on children's shows on Public networks... so... propagandizing children and using taxpayer money to to it.

Practices such as diversity quotas which are inherently discriminatory on the basis of identity and operate not only in the private sector but in the public sector as well (ie. public universities), as well as the ideology that argues in favor of this being pushed on elementary school students and being entrenched in the corporate training of places such as Google. Not only does this unfairly discriminate against specific individuals on the basis of their identity, but the contempt for meritocracy as a "white male" ideology suggests that it is not good to solely focus on selecting the best candidate for a position (which any reasonable person would do).

The expanding repression of people's right to free speech in the rest of the west to which I've mentioned numerous examples that aren't even hate speech, such as Count Dankula, the girl who posted rap lyrics with the n-word, Canadian senators openly and virtually unanimously arguing in favor of compelled speech, Jordan Peterson being smeared as having an unacceptable opinion when he says the government shouldn't be able to compel citizens' speech, people getting arrested for protesting a mosque that was calling for the death of jews.. although even criminalizing hate speech is a grave moral injustice. I'd say the repression of human rights and support for such things among the populace is a pretty tangible negative thing.

Likewise the push for "multiculturalism" and the contempt with which people argue against national or cultural identity and this cultural force's impact are pretty self-evident in Europe with the migrant crisis, with the sexual assault spree in Germany on one new years day, the child grooming gangs in the UK (which authorities are more hesitant to act on for fear of being labeled racist), the rise of violent crime and antisemitism in certain areas, and the fact that if you criticize taking in this many migrants from such a culture at once and them not assimilating, you get smeared as a racist, and if you criticize Islam you get smeared as a racist and get death threats from a certain portion of the population.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 10:55 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

As for the decay of the dialogue... well... the government repression of free speech is already a pretty handy example of that, as well as views of free speech on college campuses, such as an alarming proportion of college students thinking use of disruption to prevent someone from speaking on college campuses, or even the use of violence, is acceptable (https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixg...m-a-new-survey/) and we have seen numerous examples of this over the past few years with speakers that aren't even racists, I mean shit when half a million dollars is needed for security for Ben Shapiro to speak on a college campus clearly things have gone too far. It's pretty obvious that discourse in the west has decayed just from an observance of modern political polarization, once again free speech issues, the emergence of extremist movements such as antifa and the alt-right, the use of disruptive tactics by protesters against speakers they disagree with, several media outlets blatantly lying about people whose views are the antithesis of racism, that there has been a noticeable decay in our ability to have a dialogue or a common social fabric, and through conversation and discourse that we are able to reason as a society about profound issues, so this is not a very good thing at all.

Also just another thing I forgot to mention, the pushing of this gender constructivist ideology has lead to laws in some other countries (and IIRC even in some parts of the US though I could be mistaken) that require parents to allow and pay for the medical transitioning of their children if their children have gender dysphoria and want it, and this is a huge problem because it is the government imposing on parents that they must allow children to make decisions that could potentially permanently alter their body and that if they don't the government could remove their children from them, which is a little more disturbing considering like 80% of kids with gender dysphoria grow out of it.

The decay of marriage thing is something that I didn't really explain in my original post, but it seems like virtually everything else I mentioned is pretty self-evidently negative. Plus like I said I never said society as a whole were better and a lot of the metrics you mentioned or ellimist mentioned owe their advancements to scientific or economic progress rather than cultural progress.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 10:56 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

I'll take my chances.

Also, consider getting a house before judging the makeup of someone else's. What's your stance here exactly?

If you don't have one, you should refrain from derailing discussion.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 11:21 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Emperordmb

Here's another piece of information from the Brookings institute:
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/...e-middle-class/

You typed a lot and I disagree with just about everything.

If all markers of success, some of which are directly relevant to your point, have improved then you're point is simply wrong and you must learn to let go of factually incorrect ideas.

But this point in particular of yours is a very good one. It touches upon why I picked 1920 - SEM (socioeconomic mobility). Black people in 1920 had better SEM than they do now. Let me explain:

Consider x to be the MVS (minimum viable standard). MVS = high school education and middle class income job (similar to the link and article you pointed out). When black people were born in 1920, obtaining x was significantly more likely than now, even if they were born in x-1 or x-2 situations. They simply had a better chance to improve their situation. I am not saying that they do not now but it just does not happen as often as it did, then. Things like "Black Wall Street" were a thing. It existed. Black people were improving their SES at a remarkable rate. Let me tell you about Black Wall Street: better homes, education for the children, and luxuries than their white neighbors. Things like indoor plumbing were standard in their homes.

This lady, while very clearly writing from a bias, wrote a nice article on it:

http://www.ebony.com/black-history/...wall-street-405

Pretty strange, right? Something like Black Wall Street EXISTED in 1920. That's what I mean by SEM. It's important. Much more often than now, they could be born into poverty and end up in a better place, socioeconomically.

WHY? Why is this? This is the important question. Part of it is as you have mentioned: the destruction of the family unit. This is also why conservatives talk about removing welfare: it forces people to start families and stay families (so their narrative goes). What happens if you can have your cake and eat it too? What happens if you implement a UBI system that allows single mothers to stay as single mothers if they want but also get a college education and a damn good job? Now you bring in SEM goodness AND you don't have to force couples to stay together by removing welfare. This isn't a pipe-dream or fanciful thinking: this is actually what happened in one such UBI program (already talked about it).

Anyway, yes, you're on to something. Black and Hispanic families are suffering from the destruction of the standard family unit. That much is true. It's affecting SEM and many other outcomes.

Let's get back onto your main point, however: those items I mentioned, cite your points. Prove your points based on that list I made (and those are not the only outcomes to consider). Your point CAN be proven. You can prove your point. It is not an opinion. These "degradation of culture" points you're making can have data to back up or prove you wrong. It would be quite easy to find data on mental health over time.

Why don't you do this? Why don't you make the effort to prove your point? You type a lot of words. You clearly put in a lot of time. Why didn't you prove your point with actual tangible data, though? This is what is bothering me about your point. Do you already know the answers and you know you're just plain wrong? I am not being combative. Tell me why you didn't make the effort and, instead, spent a long ass time typing out a huge double post? If I were you, I would have laid down the smack with some citations and ended my post with a smug "suck it" or something.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 11:34 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
DMB, you might benefit from reading the things you weigh in on.

Bruv, did you even bother to check what double d cited?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/08/us/t...dent/index.html
^^^^^
I asked for headlines attacking Trump on the basis of race, Double D posted a headline disagreeing with Trump on the basis of policy. Whether or not you agree with the policy position the author takes, this is not the same as attacking someone on the basis of race.

Just saw this. You tried to sneak this through so no one would see it, eh?

What you're trying to do here is honest. What I said came from the article. They directly stated racist things about Trump. And you did not ask for a headline.

Damn, dude...you can't even make it a couple of posts with lying again. You suck.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 11:36 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Surtur
So what does complaining about microaggressions or requiring a safe space from the likes of Christina Hoff Sommers mirror from the past? Genuinely curious. I'm curious about the scale as well. I'm sure in past generations we've had people triggered over some innocuous speaker merely because the speaker had views that opposed their own, but did we see it on the same scale as we are now?

I think you answered your own question. "...did we see it...?" you wrote.

We didn't see it as much because their weren't people selling it to us. The answer is social media, clickbait, and 24-hour news, not anything markedly different in human behavior.

Take a look at this forum. "Stories to make you triggered." "In this thread is a photo that will make {X} angry." It's clickbait to raise your blood pressure, and you let it happen.

Meanwhile, there are literally millions of people ignoring those headlines and going about their lives, interacting with hundreds if not thousands of people who aren't SJWing their victim culture all over their Snapchats. Life is pretty f---ing normal when you aren't looking for reasons to be angry on the internet. And the social media obsessed teens and early 20-somethings perpetuating a lot of what you're talking about will grow up, some will remain ridiculous, but most will mature and tackle issues with more perspective, or learn to ignore it and will go about their lives.

There's a trend here, sure. The clever marketers selling this drivel to us have convinced enough people that it's important and widespread. But acting like it's a societal cancer is an eminent overreaction.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2018 11:41 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Digi
Take a look at this forum. "Stories to make you triggered." "In this thread is a photo that will make {X} angry." It's clickbait to raise your blood pressure, and you let it happen.

Sorry about that, yes, that thread was intended as click bait but they both know me and my positions quite well and it was more for us all 3 to have a laugh (somewhat at each other's expense) about it.

They know that I have quite a strong position (pro-transgenderism and in general, very pro-LGBT...really, it's just "let consenting adults do what they want with each other and to themselves") about this topic and we all 3 have argued about it. It was not intended to make blood boil or make people legit mad-bro. I would fully expect one of them to make a thread mocking delicious looking pizza or donuts because, clearly, I love those things.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 12:10 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Just saw this. You tried to sneak this through so no one would see it, eh?

What you're trying to do here is honest. What I said came from the article. They directly stated racist things about Trump. And you did not ask for a headline.

Damn, dude...you can't even make it a couple of posts with lying again. You suck.

Alleging Trump is getting special treatment due to being white isn't racism. Try again.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 12:10 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
I think you answered your own question. "...did we see it...?" you wrote.

We didn't see it as much because their weren't people selling it to us. The answer is social media, clickbait, and 24-hour news, not anything markedly different in human behavior.

Meanwhile, there are literally millions of people ignoring those headlines and going about their lives, interacting with hundreds if not thousands of people who aren't SJWing their victim culture all over their Snapchats. Life is pretty f---ing normal when you aren't looking for reasons to be angry on the internet. And the social media obsessed teens and early 20-somethings perpetuating a lot of what you're talking about will grow up, some will remain ridiculous, but most will mature and tackle issues with more perspective, or learn to ignore it and will go about their lives.

There's a trend here, sure. The clever marketers selling this drivel to us have convinced enough people that it's important and widespread. But acting like it's a societal cancer is an eminent overreaction.

So essentially your argument is it happened, we just didn't see it cuz there was no social media, etc.

Which doesn't that work out to you not really having to provide any proof beyond just what you mentioned? It's neat, but it's not what I was looking for. If this stuff mirrors stuff in the past I'd be curious for some actual examples. Thanks in advance.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 12:12 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Alleging Trump is getting special treatment due to being white isn't racism. Try again.

Nice strawman. How about stick to the truth?

Sure! But you'll never agree to it or acknowledge it's existence because it goes against your preconceived political notions.

Trump was elected only because he is white. Trump doesn't deserve the Oval Office and he's only in the Oval Office because he's white. Trump's dumb and couldn't think his way out of a wet paperbag.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/08/us/t...dent/index.html

Try my simple test out: is it racist if you switch the race?

Obama was elected only because he is black. Obama doesn't deserve to be president and he only got elected because he's black. Obama's dumb and couldn't think his way out of a wet paperbag.

Well, shiiiit, sounds racist f*ck and this is the same shit people were saying about Obama AND people were calling it racist.

Hmmm...

HmmmmmmmmmMMMMMmMMMmMMMMMMMMMMmmm there Rockyboy. Hmmm. Hmmm indeeeeeeeed.

Also...Trump was elected because he's white and Americans are racist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...-coates/537909/

And toe-head. And orange-skin. And rich-cracker.

So I shit on people for saying Obama was a Muslim-terrorist who was going to take all of our guns. Just the same as I shit on people for denying the anti-White racism against Trump. Here's the kicker: I don't CARE if people say Trump is shit because he's white. Or that Obama is a rapist because he's black. It's stupid and ignorant, for sure, but it does nothing to make me upset.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 12:12 AM
Silent Master

Originally posted by Surtur
So essentially your argument is it happened, we just didn't see it cuz there was no social media, etc.

Which doesn't that work out to you not really having to provide any proof beyond just what you mentioned? It's neat, but it's not what I was looking for. If this stuff mirrors stuff in the past I'd be curious for some actual examples. Thanks in advance.

It probably happened some, but I doubt it was anywhere near as common as it is now.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 12:23 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice strawman. How about stick to the truth?

IMO, as of the present day, racism against whites in America is more socially acceptable than racism against any other race.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 12:25 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

If I'm straw manning you, it's because you never bothered to cite which part of the article pertained to the point you were making.

And with that in mind, you still aren't telling me which parts of the article you're interpreting to say "Trump got elected because he was white".

Furthemore, you're citing the atlantic which isn't anywhere near as mainstream as fox news. All I've so far from the Atlantic are allegations Trump is racist. Allegations it supports with
quote:
Trump had made his worldview clear. He fought to keep blacks out of his buildings, according to the U.S. government; called for the death penalty for the eventually exonerated Central Park Five; and railed against “lazy” black employees. “Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” Trump was once quoted as saying. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

quote:
After his cabal of conspiracy theorists forced Barack Obama to present his birth certificate, Trump demanded the president’s college grades (offering $5 million in exchange for them), insisting that Obama was not intelligent enough to have gone to an Ivy League school, and that his acclaimed memoir, Dreams From My Father, had been ghostwritten by a white man, Bill Ayers.

I can't comment on the cnn article because when i clicked it it said
quote:
Uh-oh!
It could be you, or it could be us, but there's no page here.

Quote on me on which part of the article was racist. And then show me this happening on a source comparably mainstream as fox news. If you can't do either, then this example you're citing is not equivalent to fox news' treatment of Obama.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 12:25 AM