KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is gender a social construct?

Is gender a social construct?
Started by: DarthSkywalker0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Anna D
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gender is absolutley a social construct. No man can tell me what my role in society is. I didn't choose to be born a female.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2018 02:40 PM
Anna D is currently offline Click here to Send Anna D a Private Message Find more posts by Anna D Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Anna D
Gender is absolutley a social construct. No man can tell me what my role in society is. I didn't choose to be born a female.

Gender and gender roles are two different things.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2018 08:06 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StyleTime
The 1-4% figure was made up for this hypothetical example though. Without something specific to the issue, it's hard to comment on this.

You were going in an interesting direction for a moment, but it ultimately sounds like "Tolerate our intolerance. " That was a faulty argument back during the gay marriage debate, and remains so now.

You're essentially saying "it's easier to let bigots remain bigots, so force the marginalized group to change instead." You aren't trying to "change a group on a fundamental level" by telling them to quit ostracizing a marginalized group. You are, however, changing a group on a fundamental level by telling gender queer people to change who they are despite imposing on no one. Additionally, if discrimination is fundamental to your identity, then you should change.

Cisgendered folks don't have to become trans to acknowledge their existence. I don't see how we're being forced to "change on a fundamental level" here. We still get to go about our day exactly as before, but now we're calling Michael, Michelle. It's like...the most minor, boring thing in the universe.

I literally yawned and dozed off just thinking about it.

There's a fine line between:

1. I accept and tolerate your weirdness. It's your life, however you want to live it, and that is what I accept, if not your world view wholesale.

2. I affirm your beliefs. I accept your world view.

I can refuse to accept a post op transsexual is a woman, and refuse to bully/allow bullying.

The current tactics seem to demand across the border affirmation, which simply puts people on the defensive.

Shame is NOT a good tactic for social change. All it does is force people to choose between defensively digging in, or admitting defeat.

That may not be an answer you want to hear, but people have their pride. Asking someone to give up on tradition, and accept a "new normal" will only promote hostility:

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 17th, 2018 at 06:03 PM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 05:58 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by cdtm

1. I accept and tolerate your weirdness. It's your life, however you want to live it, and that is what I accept, if not your world view wholesale.

I can refuse to accept a post op transsexual is a woman, and refuse to bully/allow bullying.

The current tactics seem to demand across the border affirmation, which simply puts people on the defensive.

Shame is NOT a good tactic for social change. All it does is force people to choose between defensively digging in, or admitting defeat.

That may not be an answer you want to hear, but people have their pride. Asking someone to give up on tradition, and accept a "new normal" will only promote hostility:

"I am not denying your humanity, I just do not believe you are the gender to which you claim to be"

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 06:33 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
"I am not denying your humanity, I just do not believe you are the gender to which you claim to be"

"I am not denying your right to protest, I am just defending the honor of the flag I believe in."

"But it's not about the flag."

"When you do it in front of the flag, it's about the flag to us."

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 06:36 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

"I am not denying your right to protest, I am just defending the honor of the flag I believe in."

thumb up

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Sep 17th, 2018 06:41 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Silent Master
Gender and gender roles are two different things.

Gender roles are under the gender umbrella though. Sex is a more useful way to describe what you're talking about.

Again, that seems to be a rare occurrence.

See, I disagree. What I see is people getting defensive because a legitimate opposing point is raised that may force them to reconsider their long held stance. No one has been rude in this thread for example, but you're still talking about being shamed.

If you're just talking about the discussion nationally/worldwide, then in some instances I'd agree. Reasoned discourse is the best way, assuming people are willing to change.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 18th, 2018 at 06:10 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2018 06:03 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by StyleTime
No one has been rude in this thread for example, but you're still talking about being shamed.

You mean aside from Beni calling those who disagrees with him analogous to flat-earthers?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2018 06:33 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

You mean aside from Beni calling those who disagrees with him analogous to flat-earthers?
They are.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2018 07:29 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyways nope, it's not a social construct.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2018 08:43 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

That logic doesn't work though. When your opposition says "it's not about the flag", the proper response is "Oh, well then what is it about? Maybe we can solve this?"

Instead, that last line says, essentially "well, we're going to pretend it's about the flag anyway, so hah."

Fair point. There was someone.
Originally posted by Surtur

Cuz the Rhesus monkeys?

I'm not a fan of using animals to predict human behavior. We try too hard to read ourselves into the behaviors we like and ignore the ones we dislike. We can find a study supporting practically any viewpoint with animals.

Socialization affects the behavior of rhesus monkeys too.

Rhesus monkeys eat mostly plants with ocassional insects thrown in. Would you be willing to go vegetarian because they do it? Living in a polyamorous communal society with a bunch of other folks sharing your girlfriend and raising your kids? I'm being colorful, and I'm not saying any of these are bad, but I doubt most people would be up for them.

Animal behavior doesn't translate 1:1 to humans. We cherry pick animal behavior and say "see! We do that! We're just animals!" all while disregarding the shit we don't like. I'm not a fan of that. Posting on an internet forum would be like rocket science to a dumbass rhesus monkey.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 18th, 2018 at 08:59 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2018 08:54 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bro I'm about to chow down on an awesome plant/insect burger right now. Coincidence or...fate?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2018 09:02 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Well, insects are supposedly the path to ending world hunger, even according to the UN, so maybe it's fate. You're ahead of the curve.

Touche sir. Touche.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 18th, 2018 at 09:42 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2018 09:39 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

laughing

It doesn't matter what its about to you. If you don't want them doing it in front of the flag, then don't bring out the flag in the first place.

And for the record, this whole, "standing in front of the flag is key to keep american society together" nonsense is horseshit. The tradition was only introduced in 2009 when the department of defense started paying the nfl to start this tradition:
http://dailysnark.com/nfl-teams-did...al-anthem-2009/

When you defend the "honor of the flag" you defend the honor of government propaganda.

It's not patriotism, it's paid propaganda, and by telling football players they can't publicly protest the government on the field, the NFL has confirmed their status as the government's puppet.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Sep 19th, 2018 at 10:45 PM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2018 10:42 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
laughing

It doesn't matter what its about to you. If you don't want them doing it in front of the flag, then don't bring out the flag in the first place.

And for the record, this whole, "standing in front of the flag is key to keep american society together" nonsense is horseshit. The tradition was only introduced in 2009 when the department of defense started paying the nfl to start this tradition:

When you defend the "honor of the flag" you defend the honor of government propaganda.

It's not patriotism, it's paid propaganda, and by telling football players they can't publicly protest the government on the field, the NFL has confirmed their status as the government's puppet.

The flag's history with the NFL isn't the point, though. The flag is a symbol to many.

Isn't a key argument of social justice, that one's individual experiences matter?

Why shouldn't we respect the feelings of those who claim, for them, it's about the flag?

Old Post Sep 19th, 2018 10:54 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Surtur

HYG: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 19th, 2018 11:05 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote:
The flag's history with the NFL isn't the point, though. The flag is a symbol to many.

Isn't a key argument of social justice, that one's individual experiences matter?

Why shouldn't we respect the feelings of those who claim, for them, it's about the flag?

Except that you've ****ed the analogy.

"I do not accept your world view" is not equivalent to "i do not accept you protesting in a manner that happens to offend my world view"

If anything those who are shutting down protests are akin to those who shut down the people who say " I just do not believe you are the gender to which you claim to be"".

If you support people saying what they think about gender, then you shouldn't take issue with people kneeling in front of the flag.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2018 11:07 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

laughing

Personally, I've never felt my patriotism being attacked by someone else not standing for the National Anthem. Even people who burn the US flag do not affect my patriotism; I think they're stupid as I think flag burning is stupid, but I don't feel insulted or less American because of it. Maybe I'm just that patriotic where another can't make me question my own patriotism or maybe I'm just not a little b***h looking for something irrelevant to me to whine over while covering it up as patriotism.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 19th, 2018 11:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Except that you've ****ed the analogy.

"I do not accept your world view" is not equivalent to "i do not accept you protesting in a manner that happens to offend my world view"

If anything those who are shutting down protests are akin to those who shut down the people who say " I just do not believe you are the gender to which you claim to be"".

If you support people saying what they think about gender, then you shouldn't take issue with people kneeling in front of the flag.

Accept abortion is wrong.

Accept marriage is between men and women.

Accept kneeling in front of the flag, isn't disrespecting the flag.

That's how they're similar. The people feel how they feel, and are being asked to feel differently.

Of course, it's equally valid to say:

Accept I don't accept you're a woman.

And they may be deeply offended. At that point, not much to be done except agree to disagree, or agree to limit/end the relationship.

My main issue with the flag protests, is that they're clearly intending to provoke a reaction, while pretending "Nah."

Of COURSE they want to offend. Or they wouldn't do it in front of the flag at all. Flag protests, in all cases, are INTENDED to provoke a reaction from others.

Call it a pet peeve, but I don't believe in intentionally trying to provoke others. For any reason. It simply isn't necessary.

Sometimes, you can't help to, either way, but generally attempting to respect boundries is the ideal.

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 20th, 2018 at 01:14 AM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2018 01:12 AM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Personally, I've never felt my patriotism being attacked by someone else not standing for the National Anthem. Even people who burn the US flag do not affect my patriotism; I think they're stupid as I think flag burning is stupid, but I don't feel insulted or less American because of it. Maybe I'm just that patriotic where another can't make me question my own patriotism or maybe I'm just not a little b***h looking for something irrelevant to me to whine over while covering it up as patriotism.
You see I'm not patriotic at all. I admire what my culture did in the past. It created the basis for almost everything. From discovering how to induce current to the basic mechanical model of the universe and theory of evolution. It gave the world real Football, Boxing etc and the dominant language. Modern democracy and legal systems... but that was then, a few of us bravely still walk the world like Titans, with education from Universities as old as the US... most watch YouTube and strictly come dancing. We have become Babylon.

Last edited by Putinbot1 on Sep 20th, 2018 at 06:39 AM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2018 06:36 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote