KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Maul's potential

Maul's potential
Started by: LordOfTheLight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LordOfTheLight

Maul's potential

Did Maul's potential decrease on being cut down on Naboo or did it stay the same?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 10:11 AM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Kenobi actually helped double Maul's limits. It didn't work for Anakin because he burned out.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Fair to say they ignored it, and we can attribute it to Talzin's magic if you're looking for an explanation. In the TPM Novel he was said to be at his peak never to get better for instance... he did!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 11:33 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Maul at the peak of his power is still just a sit in for Dooku.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 12:36 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

His force potential was absolutely diminished.

1) For being cut in half.
2) And more importantly, For cutting short his apprenticeship with Sidious.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 01:21 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maul's potential as of TPM is still so insignificant that he's just a placeholder for Anakin.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 06:38 PM
Click here to Send RealistRacism a Private Message Find more posts by RealistRacism Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BestDebaterEver
Head of Debate Club

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
Maul at the peak of his power is still just a sit in for Dooku.
Per Sidious' own admission Dooku was a placeholder who he only put in place because he needed to replace Maul after his "death". This was established in Legends even before Maul returned to TCW.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:03 PM
Click here to Send BestDebaterEver a Private Message Find more posts by BestDebaterEver Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Originally posted by RealistRacism
Maul's potential as of TPM is still so insignificant that he's just a placeholder for Anakin.

Anybody would be lol

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:18 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

The reason I ask is because there is a Chee quote saying his potential did not decrease. Also because it is still ongoing whether or not midichlorian count overall or density determines potential

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:18 PM
Intr3pId
Demon

Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
The reason I ask is because there is a Chee quote saying his potential did not decrease. Also because it is still ongoing whether or not midichlorian count overall or density determines potential

I'm almost 100% sure that GL said that Vader's potential had decreased after Mustafar because he was now more robot than flesh. Same prolly applies to Maul.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:23 PM
Click here to Send Intr3pId a Private Message Find more posts by Intr3pId Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Also Chees quote did not sound definitive at all. He was asked about Vader being less powerful, and he replied with: Well Maul got half his body chopped off and was still pretty powerful.

So even he is equating their circumstances.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:30 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BestDebaterEver
Head of Debate Club

It has to be both count and density. Midichlorians are what are used to channel Force energy through. Having less of them means you can channel less Force energy. If you lose limbs, you lose midichlorians, so you lose some ability to channel the Force.

Count is only an issue when someone loses limbs. But it doesn't seem to matter at all otherwise: Yoda is very small but has a great density of midichlorians.

So yeah, I imagine Vader, Maul and anyone else who lost limbs also lost some upper Force potential.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:35 PM
Click here to Send BestDebaterEver a Private Message Find more posts by BestDebaterEver Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Total midichlorian count affecting potential would be retarded, as taller people would've greater potential than their counterparts with similar density - which would make Yoda a hilarious case.

If potential is determined by midichlorian density, then Vader (or anyone) losing his potential after losing his limbs would make no sense at all.

Lucas' explanation makes no sense and must be accepted without further rationalization. I just take the Force depends on living tissue to manifestate and I don't dare to go further than that.

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:36 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by BestDebaterEver

Count is only an issue when someone loses limbs. But it doesn't seem to matter at all otherwise: Yoda is very small but has a great density of midichlorians.

Who knows, perhaps Yoda would have been vastly more powerful were he human sized.

Originally posted by TenebrousWay

Lucas' explanation makes no sense and must be accepted without further rationalization. I just take the Force depends on living tissue to manifestate and I don't dare to go further than that.

Also fair. Providing we dont just rule Lucas off.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Dec 19th, 2018 at 07:49 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:46 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Per Sidious' own admission Dooku was a placeholder who he only put in place because he needed to replace Maul after his "death". This was established in Legends even before Maul returned to TCW.

So Maul was the placeholder for a placeholder? Poor guy

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 07:58 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BestDebaterEver
Head of Debate Club

...no, because had Maul still been alive, Dooku wouldn't have gotten the job.

https://imgur.com/a/E8eHw4g

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 08:20 PM
Bentley
Seitei

...no, because had Maul still been alive, Dooku wouldn't have gotten the job.

https://imgur.com/a/E8eHw4g

By Sidious own admission he was looking for a step up, but I agree he didn't intend to replace Maul so my statement was misleading thumb up

I personally don't see any future in which Maul doesn't get "killed" before Anakin gets turned but the idea of how things would've turned sounds interesting

Edit: If the canon goes to make Sidious the creator of Anakin then I wonder how does the Maul/Anakin succession was intended to happen. Probably it'd be retconned somehow?

Last edited by Bentley on Dec 19th, 2018 at 08:39 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 08:37 PM
RealistRacism
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dooku definitely would’ve gotten the job, at least in Canon. It’s stated that Sidious was actively looking for a replacement for Maul, someone better in the “dark dealings that would spell the final end of the Republic.”

This is clearly meant in more ways than one, because if Palpatine was only speaking about a political figure, he’d have just chosen any random politician to front the CIS. Maul’s a simple thug with no tact thumb up

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 08:56 PM
Click here to Send RealistRacism a Private Message Find more posts by RealistRacism Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BestDebaterEver
Head of Debate Club

Originally posted by RealistRacism
Dooku definitely would’ve gotten the job, at least in Canon. It’s stated that Sidious was actively looking for a replacement for Maul, someone better in the “dark dealings that would spell the final end of the Republic.”

This is clearly meant in more ways than one, because if Palpatine was only speaking about a political figure, he’d have just chosen any random politician to front the CIS. Maul’s a simple thug with no tact thumb up
Citation needed.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 09:01 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Is the citation even necessary? We already know that in Canon, Dooku was working for Sidious during Valorum's chancellorship, i.e before Maul's death.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 09:04 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BestDebaterEver
Head of Debate Club

I'd like one for Sidious planning to replace Maul with Dooku.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 09:16 PM