KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » How was Hiroshima and Nagasaki not a War Crime?

How was Hiroshima and Nagasaki not a War Crime?
Started by: TempAccount

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zucc
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's a tragedy. Because lives, many of which that wouldn't support a war on the behest of their government, were lost that day. But I can't help feel it was necessary to prevent a bloodier ground war. For it's practical implications it was probably a wise decision. Perhaps there would have been a better way to display strength without targeting so many no military people. But I'm no expert on WW2 combat, so perhaps not.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 07:19 PM
Zucc is currently offline Click here to Send Zucc a Private Message Find more posts by Zucc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I love reading arguments about the ethics of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I think it's a very nuanced and complex issue and for the US there was simply no good choice to make. Japan was refusing to surrender because of their national pride thus creating a possibility of a prolonged war. America wanted it done and so made the tough call to drop the nukes. However there are a lot of historians who apparently believe that had America waited a bit longer Japan may have surrendered shortly anyways. Also I think I've read that America didn't really understand the level of devastation and lingering issues that the nukes would cause.

Either way, it's a horrible thing and there are plenty of criticisms to be levied at America, but Japan holds a lot of the blame as well for their stubbornness.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 09:22 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

It is clear many did not read the articles presented in OP.

1. Harry Truman was a racist who openly stated he hated Japanese people as early the 1920's . I would wager that this mentality played a factor in his decision to nuke. Can you imagine if Trump did something similar against a group he's racist towards?

2. Pearl Harbor is a joke of a "eye-for-an-eye" argument. 2500 military personnel are not innocent lives. The Japanese only targeted military targets, not civilian populations.

3. Two wrongs don't make a right. Japan may have committed heinous crimes of its own, but none compare to the level of dropping an experimental death weapon without understanding the repercussions for the future.

On the topic of of Nanjing, just like the so called Armenian genocide, actions committed are highly circumstantial and not clear cut. Death figures from this era are never accurate and can be twisted as needed for political purposes.

In case you are curious, the Allies during WW2 committed more than their fair share of war crimes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allie...ng_World_War_II)
Of course you rarely hear about them as the winners write history. There's no one left to hold the US accountable.

4. Nukes were completely unnecessary as Japan was, by the end of the war, essentially and island nation cut-off from the rest of the world. The Soviets were rapidly invading Manchuria with plans for invading the Japanese mainland. The US had the naval advantage with a blockade pretty much cutting off Japan's life-line to food/energy imports.

They would be forced to surrender or have their people starve, which is a comparable effect to mass murder of innocents via nuke.

5. The US was playing realpolitik by initiating the cold war with an arms demonstration against Russia rather than genuinely expressing interest in not prolonging the war.

Banzai Nippon! ばんざい にっぽん!

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 02:43 AM
TempAccount is currently offline Click here to Send TempAccount a Private Message Find more posts by TempAccount Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Everybody read them clearly. They also clearly saw the picture of Emperor Hirohito in your sig. Don't act like you're a neutral party here and don't have an agenda.

It's pretty obvious you're saying, "IGNORE EVERYTHING BAD JAPAN DID! I WANT US TO BE MAD AT AMERICA!!!"

Because saying "2500 military personnel death weren't "innocent" just because they're enlisted is just insane. Was every single person a badass infantryman with a massive kill count in WW2? Or were there non-combat staff on that massive base as well? And their families who lived on base? I guess janitors, mechanics, cooks, support staff, etc... were all active combatants who attacked Japan first to warrant a surprise attack.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 02:57 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Karma is a b****.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 04:28 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TempAccount
It is clear many did not read the articles presented in OP.

1. Harry Truman was a racist who openly stated he hated Japanese people as early the 1920's . I would wager that this mentality played a factor in his decision to nuke. Can you imagine if Trump did something similar against a group he's racist towards?

2. Pearl Harbor is a joke of a "eye-for-an-eye" argument. 2500 military personnel are not innocent lives. The Japanese only targeted military targets, not civilian populations.

3. Two wrongs don't make a right. Japan may have committed heinous crimes of its own, but none compare to the level of dropping an experimental death weapon without understanding the repercussions for the future.

On the topic of of Nanjing, just like the so called Armenian genocide, actions committed are highly circumstantial and not clear cut. Death figures from this era are never accurate and can be twisted as needed for political purposes.

In case you are curious, the Allies during WW2 committed more than their fair share of war crimes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allie...ng_World_War_II)
Of course you rarely hear about them as the winners write history. There's no one left to hold the US accountable.

4. Nukes were completely unnecessary as Japan was, by the end of the war, essentially and island nation cut-off from the rest of the world. The Soviets were rapidly invading Manchuria with plans for invading the Japanese mainland. The US had the naval advantage with a blockade pretty much cutting off Japan's life-line to food/energy imports.

They would be forced to surrender or have their people starve, which is a comparable effect to mass murder of innocents via nuke.

5. The US was playing realpolitik by initiating the cold war with an arms demonstration against Russia rather than genuinely expressing interest in not prolonging the war.

.........??? A joke?

Also, Japan started a War with America. In a global world war, the ends justify the means, if the end is a swift and quick ending minimizing the total number of lives lost imo. The sheer scale of it....trying to define it by some moral/ethical compass, or saying it was an act of racism? Lol.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 04:43 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

3. Two wrongs don't make a right. Japan may have committed heinous crimes of its own, but none compare to the level of dropping an experimental death weapon without understanding the repercussions for the future

Tell that to the Chinese whom Japan tested chemical and biological weapons on killing 400,000 with cholera, bubonic plague and anthrax.

Then there was the testing of grenades and flamethrowers on chained up civilians. The vivisections without anaesthesia. The freezing and smashing of limbs to test frostbite. Putting people in high pressure chambers until they died. Spinning people in giant centrifuges until they died.

So yeah. Shut up.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 09:58 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Tell that to the Chinese whom Japan tested chemical and biological weapons on killing 400,000 with cholera, bubonic plague and anthrax.

Then there was the testing of grenades and flamethrowers on chained up civilians. The vivisections without anaesthesia. The freezing and smashing of limbs to test frostbite. Putting people in high pressure chambers until they died. Spinning people in giant centrifuges until they died.

So yeah. Shut up.

So the point here is that America covered not one but two crimes against humanity?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 11:50 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
.........??? A joke?

Also, Japan started a War with America. In a global world war, the ends justify the means, if the end is a swift and quick ending minimizing the total number of lives lost imo. The sheer scale of it....trying to define it by some moral/ethical compass, or saying it was an act of racism? Lol.
It was the US that started the war with Japan by putting in place oil embargos. Japan had no choice but to invade the Philippines to sustain its country. Of course being that American Imperialism had the Philippines, they had to attack Pearl Harbor as a defensive measure.

Again, the war was already over by the time the US took over Okinawa. Soviets would have invaded the mainland if the US didn't; so they played realpolitik and dropped the nukes. Japan would have surrendered in time by simply keeping a naval blockade. The problem was that the cold war had begun and the US did not want to go to war with the Soviets over Japan. But yeah, killing 200,000 plus civilians definitely was a better outcome *sarcasm*.

Originally posted by jaden_2.0

So yeah. Shut up.

Evidence for unit 731 was actually swept under the rug by the United States in exchange for the findings from those experiments. They granted immunity to experimenters in exchange for info. Very shady of the USA. Clearly they didn't care about the suffering of victims.

Also let's not forget the Tuskegee syphilis experiment conducted by the good 'ol U S of A.

The point is, the US has always been just as awful. What they've done for centuries pales in comparison to the things Imperial Japan has done for only a relatively short period of time.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 10:51 PM
TempAccount is currently offline Click here to Send TempAccount a Private Message Find more posts by TempAccount Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Evidence for unit 731 was actually swept under the rug by the United States in exchange for the findings from those experiments. They granted immunity to experimenters in exchange for info. Very shady of the USA. Clearly they didn't care about the suffering of victims.

Also let's not forget the Tuskegee syphilis experiment conducted by the good 'ol U S of A.

The point is, the US has always been just as awful. What they've done for centuries pales in comparison to the things Imperial Japan has done for only a relatively short period of time.

So you knew about unit 731 when making your claim that Japan didn't drop experimental weapons and kill 200,000 civilians?

I suppose you're technically correct. They dropped experimental weapons and killed 400,000 civilians.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 10:58 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 11:13 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

and if japan had won the war, today they'd be coming up with lame excuses as to why unit 731 was "tragic, but necessary to end the war"

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 11:18 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

You probably would.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 11:19 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

nobody cares about your ad hominem phaggotry, s&m.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 11:20 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

I was agreeing with you, calm down.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 11:21 PM
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

Originally posted by Silent Master

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 11:44 PM
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Temp is just mad America out fought, out thought and developed better tech than his precious Japan.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2019 12:25 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

we just adopted hitler's scientists to figure out how to make an atomic bomb, but overall japanese hardware was superior to allied for most of the war

Old Post Apr 11th, 2019 12:33 AM
Silent Master

[youtube]-Oy_f08Ss_4[/youtbe]

Your sig and "taisho" aren't of modern japan, we all know why you have a thing for classic japan.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2019 02:30 AM
mike brown

Originally posted by Putinbot1
My uncle died in his 50's in 1978 because of the way he was treated as a POW by Japan. I have Japanese friends, it's the past, long ago. Dropping the bombs saved allied lives, and in a war which had gone on too long and seen too many allies die, it needed to happen.
Plus WW2 was total war. A concept we struggle to understand today. The main difference between nuking a city and carpet bombing a city (with regard to civilian deaths) is how fast the destruction occurs.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2019 06:49 PM
mike brown is currently offline Click here to Send mike brown a Private Message Find more posts by mike brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote