KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Abortion

Do you beleve in abortion?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 249 48.16%
No 221 42.75%
? 47 9.09%
Total: 517 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Abortion
Started by: Julie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (787): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

justice

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 09:11 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

and justice is an eye for an eye.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 09:14 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I dispute that. Eye for an eye justice is deeply flawed.

And AGAIN, DJ, you are wrong. If my girlfriend of wife was raped I would NPOT be happy about possible murder to do something about her unfortunate situation! And this time, you are talking about possible murder of an innocent, Inconceivable! That would weigh on my mind, if I supported it. far, FAR more!

I abolsutely would not support such an abortion. But while choice exists I would not try to stop my partner form doing so.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 09:21 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Ush, are you saying that if your partner was carrying the bastard child of her rapist and she wanted an abortion then you would NOT support her in the decision to abort the pregnancy? confused

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 09:24 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That would be compromisng my values. I believe it is wrong. What are you asking me to do, change my mind just because someone else thinks different?

But when I say I would not 'support' it, I just mean that I would not think it was the right thing to do. I wouldn't put myself away from said partner or anything, or refuse to comfort her, and so on.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 27th, 2001 at 09:43 PM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 09:38 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

SOunds morally strong to me, that.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 09:43 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

finti, eye for an eye... and you aren't religious?
start reading the thora and the ... what's the other book of the jews?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 09:51 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I dunnop Ush, I mean in a rape senarios it is not the fault of the woman who was raped, and true it is not the fault of the potential child but at that stage of pregnancy that is all it is, a potential life.

To expect any woman to go through 9 months of pregnancy with a child concieved of a rape, maybe from a complete stranger, is not something I could possibly do.

It is a sentence in itself, for most women I would think.

If you can't say that you could offer 100% support for a decision like that, well, IMHO that would speak volumes about the quality of the relationship. Sometimes we have to compromise our beliuefs for the greater good.

But that is just my opinion. Non of us can truely answer this aspect of the abortion question unless we've been through it and that is NOT the kind of field research I would want to undertake.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:11 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Greater good? And who'll be the judge of that?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:13 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

RC, do you not understand? I think it may be MURDER! You say it is omly a potential life. I say that has not been proved one way or another. I am very much afraid that murder is what it is.

At that point, my partner's feelings be damned. Murder is no solution.

If someone gave me a gun and said if I shot a random person then my partner would be ok, I would not do it. If someone gave HER the gun and asked the same, then I would yell at her not to do it, do everything in my power to stop her from doding it.

Abortion may well be the same. Destroy a life to improve your own. And I say: NO! NO! NO!

BtVS

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:17 PM
Ratcat

Well, that is part of the question isn't it.

I would suggest that a bunch of small, as yet unformed, cells in the womb have a lesser value than the sanity, welfare and health of a woman who has been raped and had the pregnancy created against her will, probably in a violent and painful way.

Remember, in this time of instance at leasdt, we're not talking about a 18 week old fetus(sp) here. We're talking something that may be no more that a few days formed.

In fact, I believe that rape victims are offered the so called 'morning after pill' as a matter of policy if they want it in order to stop unwanted pregnancy after rape.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:19 PM
queeq
Chaos

Yes, I agree. And I don't think it's a matter of greater good. It's a way of finding a way to deal with a hard situation like that. And wiping out life like that does not take the pain away. Although it would be hard to always "see" what happened. Yet, at least by letting the child get born and raise it with love, something good can grow out of it.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:20 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The problem is, as I say, is that I don't know. I really don't. I mean, what if it is? What if I support such a decision and find out later that it WAS murder? I couldn't handle that.

I wish it was proven one way or another. Then I could make a decision without having to feel a bastard about it. Either way, I seem to be screwed.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:22 PM
Ratcat

Ush, easy to say in theory, not so easy to do in practise I think.

It's very easy, as a man, to be high and moralistic about it, and I do see what you are saying, but I would be very interested to here some of the opinions of our female members on this subject.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:22 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'll refer you to what I just said above, which I assume wasn't there when you posted.

And I believe this is an area that it is very important to be moralisitc about. If that IS a life then there can be no question- no abortions.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:25 PM
Ratcat

quote:
Originally posted by queeq
by letting the child get born and raise it with love, something good can grow out of it.
Is that very realistic? I would suggest that the type of woman who would be willing to bring up the offspring of her own rape is a very rare type indeed.

It is easy as a man to say that, but then we don't have to go through the 9 months of labour with all it's discomforts, Nor do we have to endure the process of birth.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:25 PM
queeq
Chaos

I don't think he said it was easy. But he likes to stick to principles, no matter what happens. That's why they are called principles. Changing your ideas to whichever way the wind blows doesn't sound like very strong views on life. No offense, it's just my HO.

And read carefully RC: SOMETHING.... CAN.... These are opportunities, opportunities that are not there when you abort the child. But of course, it's your choice.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:26 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Heck, no. It would be an arse of a situation, and there would be a good deal I would do to try and take it away from my partner. The whole thing might well send me mad.

But I would NOT risk murder to make it all better again. Absolutely not. If that is the decision that is made then I would want no part in it.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 27th, 2001 at 10:34 PM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:29 PM
queeq
Chaos

All in all, there is no easy way out of a situation like that.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:32 PM
Ratcat

'If it is Life'

A very good point. Define life. Everything, from the lowest single celled creature is life. We exterminate germs by the billions when we put bleach down the toilet, that is life.

The trick is to define the level of life. The 'standard' definition used today, I believe, is that true life is created when the first synaptic(sp) nerves start to fire off in the brain stem. The brginnings of brain activity.

I may have that wrong, mnedical sciences aren't my strongest point.

However others, such as yourself I am gathering Ush, believe it may be sooner. It IS a grey area I know.

All that aside, the product of a rape is not a mistake, it's not forgetting to use a condom, it isn't the 1% of pregnancies caused by a failure of the birth control pill, it is an invasion of the body by a criminal act.

Personally I would support the abortion of a child concieved of rape, conversely I would aslo support the decision to carry that baby to term. Either way if would never be my decision, but I would support whatever decision was made. As a loving partner I eblieve that it would be my duty to do so.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2001 10:35 PM