KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Anakin fell to the dark side way too quickly

Anakin fell to the dark side way too quickly
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Rise of Darth Vader explains quite a bit about why Anakin did what he did and why he continued to serve Palpatine after getting pwned. Apparantly he knew he was being manipulated but just went along with it.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:19 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Rise of Darth Vader explains quite a bit about why Anakin did what he did and why he continued to serve Palpatine after getting pwned. Apparantly he knew he was being manipulated but just went along with it.

Which shows how much of an idiot Anakin was.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

N

I think "just went along with it" is a bit misleading.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:22 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Gideon
I think "just went along with it" is a bit misleading.

Yeah, he tried to overthrow Sidious using secret apprentices many times. Still though, I don't see why Anakin turned to the dark side in the first place.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:23 PM
Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Its been a while since I read it but I distinctly recalling that he was able to recognise that Palps had been manipulating him for a very long time, questioned whether he was even telling the truth about his masters immortality thing and put two and two together and figured out just who had been behind the war. He seems to have been pretty much in the know for a deranged psychotic.

This either makes him smarter, dumber or more evil than he's generally portrayed as at that point.

edit: Ah, I can't remember though whether he figured this out at the time or after though. I think theres mentions of him figuring shit out in the ROTS novel as well.....

edit2: You do realise you're on ignore hwkn?

Last edited by Nephthys on Jun 3rd, 2010 at 08:30 PM

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:27 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nephthys
Its been a while since I read it but I distinctly recalling that he was able to recognise that Palps had been manipulating him for a very long time, questioned whether he was even telling the truth about his masters immortality thing and put two and two together and figured out just who had been behind the war. He seems to have been pretty much in the know for a deranged psychotic.

This either makes him smarter, dumber or more evil than he's generally portrayed as at that point.

edit: Ah, I can't remember though whether he figured this out at the time or after though. I think theres mentions of him figuring shit out in the ROTS novel as well.....

If that's true, then all of them.

Smart for figuring it out.
At the same being in another way stupid for letting Sidious manipulate him like that without having any sort of counter.
Evil for not alerting the Jedi about it.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:29 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

N,

Vader realized (when Palpatine revealed himself to be Darth Sidious) that he had been manipulated practically his whole adult life, hence his admission in Revenge of the Sith that he would like to kill Palpatine (which Palpatine confirms, "I know you would"). But it's not like Vader just went along with it.

He was plotting to usurp and destroy Sidious for that bullshit from day one. He just accepted he wasn't powerful enough to do it right now.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:36 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Originally posted by truejedi
Read the new book:"Stealth" Or "Gambit" or something like that. Lots of anakin backstory. He was taking the death of every clone trooper personally.

That's all well and good, but how to justify going from there to killing younglings at the order of a decrepit evil sorceror?

This is where ROS falls on its face. He doesn't have to turn pure evil to fall, simply making bad judgments (like wounding Mace Windu) would have sufficed, especially if those judgements were followed up by an accidental death of his love, and the severe injuries he suffered in Mustafar.

Anakin was a troubled Jedi but he was far from being the cold ruthless murderer that we saw killing younglings.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 01:48 AM
Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

The killing younglings thing is the ONE THING that is so far out of character that it doesn't even begin to fit. Everything else was justifiable. (in anakin's mind, anyway) The Jedi were traitors, to him, he could justify killing them.

However, the younglings... You are right, it just doesn't fit in ANY OTHER dark side story that we see.

However: What if he didn't? Sidious got his force-sensitives somewhere. Obi-Wan said that Anakin killed Younglings. Said it to Padme in order to get her tell him where Anakin was.

What if he lied? What if Anakin merely captured the younglings and turned them over to Sidious?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 01:54 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

"Killed not by clones, this... Padawan. By a lightsaber, he was."

"Who? Who could have done this?"

Anakin: "You Separatists fight like children! I'd know!"

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 02:08 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Padawans =/= younglings. Younglings could have lived. The Padawan shot down by troopers on the docking bay was an enemy. A viable enemy. Kenobi in TPM was a Padawan. As was Anakin in AOTC.

Perhaps Anakin simply delivered the Younglings to Sidious.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 02:42 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

considering he was actually shown fighting/killing them on the security camera... no.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:06 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

killing the younglings on the security camera? I guess I don't remember that. I'll go look. and so help you if you are wrong!

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:14 AM
truejedi

Nope wrong! he wasn't killing Younglings! Killing people just as tall as he was at .39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt4G6RPrO64

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:16 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

D=

maybe i am wrong! perhaps what was shown in the security footage was him fighting cin drallig instead. . .

edit- fuuuuu!

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:18 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

So what if Kenobi LIED?!?! I don't remember Stover confirming the murder of Younglings either.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:20 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

well there were dead younglings here.

yoda is talking about a padawan there being killed by a lightsaber but for one thing that padawan looks like hes like 13, and for another its pretty unrealistic that all of the younglings were killed by clones and anakin only killed that padawan, considering the padawan is amidst a sea of dead younglings. seems like wishful thinking.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:24 AM
truejedi

Not wishful thinking so much as trying to make it all fit. Notice Yoda says that "Padawan, killed by a lightsaber, he was."

If the younglings were also killed by a lightsaber,why did Yoda point out the Padawan, instead of saying "they were killed by a lightsaber?"

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:32 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

because when youre trying to point out a hard to distinguish observation its easier to put focus on one object that represents your point at a time then to make a general statement. for example if you want to point out the low quality of a row of cars you'd specify by saying "look at the scratches on this ones body, and the cracked windshield on that one." as opposed to just "these cars are low quality".

thats actually the entire of point of even saying "for example". we understand specific instances better than general statements. thats also why sterotypes exist.

Last edited by AthenasTrgrFngr on Jun 6th, 2010 at 03:50 AM

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:46 AM
truejedi

Well, considering Anakin came up the temple steps with an entire division right behind him, and consider THIS from the novelization where Kenobi is watching the video

:"Stone-Faced, Obi-Wan watched younglings run into the room, fleeing blaster-fire. He watched Cin Drillig and a pair of teenage Padawans--was that Whie, the boy Yoda had brought to Vjun? Backing into the scene, blades whirling, cutting down the advancing clone troopers with deflected Bolts.

He wached a lightsaber blade flick into the shot, cutting down first One Padawan, then the other. He watched the brisk stride of a caped figure who hacked through Drallig's shoulder, then stood aside as the old Troll fell dying to let the rest of the clones blast the children to shreds.

Eso.... He didn't do it. Defintly complicit to the crime though.

Also: I thought Whie was the boy who Bail saw die? But Kenobi saw him in this shot. So WHO WAS THAT then?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2010 03:58 AM