KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Order vs. Anakin

The Order vs. Anakin
Started by: Luminatus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

doesn't matter. the taking of the law into ones own hands is essentially against the law. Anakin had every lawful right to save sideous. the jedi are just monks, not police or government officials.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 07:04 AM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Personally I support the unofficial support of vigilantes. To an extent. For me, Mace falls within that extent. Plus Palps was a Sith, they're not protected by law.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 07:07 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sure they are. There is no law against being a Sith. So killing one is just like killing anyone else.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 07:15 AM
Click here to Send Luminatus a Private Message Find more posts by Luminatus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Pfff. Law. Law is a creation of mortals, not of the gods. Laws can be changed. Laws can be broken. Laws can be misguided. Laws should exist to protect the peaceful and the innocent, not the warmongers and murderers. None of the latter who are known to be as such should be protected by law. Once it is recognized that you forfeit law, law should forfeit you and your so called "rights."

Sith are not lawful. They defy the Republic's law and the intent of its morals. They are the ultimate perpetrators of anti-law. The savagery that their nature has inflicted is not lawful, why should the law protect them? No law exists decrying the Sith, and no law exists protecting them. They're outside the law, neither above it nor within it. Law is a product of morals and values. Sith are outside the law. Sith are outside morality.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 07:48 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Personally I support the unofficial support of vigilantes. To an extent. For me, Mace falls within that extent. Plus Palps was a Sith, they're not protected by law.

This is a good discussion. There is a difference between vigilantes and vigilantism. The former decides to take the law into his own hands when it suits him. The latter is done by people who genuinely believe that at the moment of their decision, it is the best decision and for the good of the state/humanity. Mace practiced vigilantism because the law was inadequate to deal with Palpatine, and he would have done even more damage knowing that the Jedi found out about his sith status. Ergo, what Mace did might not be legal, but it is justifiable.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 12:53 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
This is a good discussion. There is a difference between vigilantes and vigilantism. The former decides to take the law into his own hands when it suits him. The latter is done by people who genuinely believe that at the moment of their decision, it is the best decision and for the good of the state/humanity. Mace practiced vigilantism because the law was inadequate to deal with Palpatine, and he would have done even more damage knowing that the Jedi found out about his sith status. Ergo, what Mace did might not be legal, but it is justifiable.
In the same way what anakin did was justifiable.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 05:39 PM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
In the same way what anakin did was justifiable.

Absolutely not. Anakin did what he for purely selfish reasons. It wasn't for the greater good, it was for him based on a dream or premonition he had. Not even close to being the same thing as what Mace did.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 06:49 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Though Anakin "thought" he was justified, so in his mind it was okay. Just like the Sandman from Spiderman 3. "I'm not a bad guy. I have a little girl who's sick. That makes it okay to break the law."

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 12:06 AM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Though Anakin "thought" he was justified, so in his mind it was okay. Just like the Sandman from Spiderman 3. "I'm not a bad guy. I have a little girl who's sick. That makes it okay to break the law."

I wouldn't go as far as call them the same. The Sandman (or Lowell from Wings) was trying to save his little girl's life because of an imminent threat. Anakin was trying to save Padme's life because he wanted her for himself, and because of a "dream" he had. They seem similar but I would be more inclined to call the Sandman's issue, while illegal and legally reprehensible, in some ways, justifiable.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 12:10 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, he was legitimately doing it for someone else, not for his own desires (in a sense). But personally I don't care about such sentimentality. If I had it my way, Anakin would be put to death and Sandman's going away for life. Without his sand of course.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 12:13 AM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, he was legitimately doing it for someone else, not for his own desires (in a sense). But personally I don't care about such sentimentality. If I had it my way, Anakin would be put to death and Sandman's going away for life. Without his sand of course.

Well as explained, the Sandman committed manslaughter. I genuinely felt bad for the guy and I'm as conservative as they come. Maybe a few years in jail, no more than 5 for involuntary manslaughter.

Anakin deserves the needle or my personal favorite, the firing squad.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 12:18 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Well as explained, the Sandman committed manslaughter. I genuinely felt bad for the guy and I'm as conservative as they come. Maybe a few years in jail, no more than 5 for involuntary manslaughter.

Anakin deserves the needle or my personal favorite, the firing squad.
LOL I see him just catching the bullets. Firing squad via Metal Storm.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 12:31 AM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

LOL I see him just catching the bullets. Firing squad via Metal Storm.

I don't know what force properties bullets have but I'd guess with 10 automatic assault rifles firing at him, it's conceivable that he will miss at least half the bullets as they paint his body full of lead.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 12:38 AM
Pyron_Knight
Eater of Worlds

Anakin did what he did because he knew his dreams were not just dreams. He had a dream before of someone he loved dying..and oh look, he was totally right.

Anakin believing Padme would die in childbirth and trying to prevent this is completely understandable as he had evidence that those visions were right.

And I like the subjective morality of your condemnation.
"I feltt bad for this guy but not this other guy. Kill the one I don't feel bad for."

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 09:25 AM
Click here to Send Pyron_Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Pyron_Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
Anakin did what he did because he knew his dreams were not just dreams. He had a dream before of someone he loved dying..and oh look, he was totally right.

Anakin believing Padme would die in childbirth and trying to prevent this is completely understandable as he had evidence that those visions were right.

And I like the subjective morality of your condemnation.
"I feltt bad for this guy but not this other guy. Kill the one I don't feel bad for."

Except the two cases aren't the same. Try again.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 12:05 PM
Pyron_Knight
Eater of Worlds

Yes they are. Both were trying to save someone they loved from death.

Not like it matters. Who the hell wants to remember Spiderman 3?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 07:06 PM
Click here to Send Pyron_Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Pyron_Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'm siding with Pyron on this issue. Plus, if it was me, I'd probably have done the same thing as Anakin in his position (though I would have to think on it because I'm not a twit who forgets that Sith are habitual lier's)

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 07:26 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes they are. Both were trying to save someone they loved from death.

Not like it matters. Who the hell wants to remember Spiderman 3?

Except one was doing it for selfish reasons while the other one was doing it to save his daughter's life. One was also doing it based on premonitions, while the other one was doing it based on things that have already transpired.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2009 09:36 PM
Pyron_Knight
Eater of Worlds

quote:
Except one was doing it for selfish reasons while the other one was doing it to save his daughter's life.

This makes no sense at all. Explain how one attempt to save a person you love's life is selfish and the other is not?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 12:05 AM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

This makes no sense at all. Explain how one attempt to save a person you love's life is selfish and the other is not?

Anakin's premonition wasn't based on anything tangible, it was his belief. His attempt to save Padme's life had less to do with her safety and more to do with his selfish reason.

The Sandman's attempt, while definitely reprehensible, was more selfless because his little girl was dying. There was no admonition about him not being able to live without her, no selfish reasons.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 04:11 AM