KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » u

u
Started by: Bouboumaster

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bouboumaster

u

What's for you the worst pieces of works ever written in a comic book world?
What events, arcs or stories make you do nightmares, when you sleep?

We are talking here about the absolute crass.

For exemple, I think that Brand New Day, One More Day and One Moment In Time are a slap in the face, and probably THE most outrageous thing to ever happens in the long comic book history. IMO, it was like Quesada shat on about 30 years of comics.

Other piece of crap worth a mention: The Clone Saga and Chaos War.

What do you think?

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 12:44 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Re: u

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
What's for you the worst pieces of works ever written in a comic book world?
What events, arcs or stories make you do nightmares, when you sleep?

We are talking here about the absolute crass.

For exemple, I think that Brand New Day, One More Day and One Moment In Time are a slap in the face, and probably THE most outrageous thing to ever happens in the long comic book history. IMO, it was like Quesada shat on about 30 years of comics.

Other piece of crap worth a mention: The Clone Saga and Chaos War.

What do you think?
I actually just got back into spiderman (quit because of omd and came back because of the praise I hear for slott). So I am supposed to believe that Peter and MJ remember everything that happened pre OMD and they still decided it was best to separate? Thats the stupidest shit I have ever read. Just ridiculous. Also I gotta say AVX is making me miss chaos war and I didnt think that would be possible.

Dont forget Sins Past, The x-men forgiving magneto and allowing him to stay on utopia, schism, and shadowland.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 01:43 AM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man is pretty great, actually.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 02:52 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

I was fairly disgusted in just about every way by Galactus Seed.

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 03:03 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I find it odd that people still hate on OMD, bad as it was. DC just did that to their entire company. And pointing to good stories in the DCnU isn't a pass either, because Spider-Man's been pretty awesome once they got past the BND arc.

Just weird how we can overlook some things but not others, largely just due to how it's marketed.

Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I actually just got back into spiderman (quit because of omd and came back because of the praise I hear for slott). So I am supposed to believe that Peter and MJ remember everything that happened pre OMD and they still decided it was best to separate? Thats the stupidest shit I have ever read. Just ridiculous.

Not quite.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 03:24 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Digi
I find it odd that people still hate on OMD, bad as it was. DC just did that to their entire company. And pointing to good stories in the DCnU isn't a pass either, because Spider-Man's been pretty awesome once they got past the BND arc.

Just weird how we can overlook some things but not others, largely just due to how it's marketed.

Not quite.

It was only the same thing in the vaguest of terms. With Spidey, they didn't just "reboot" him, they completely altered his life in the present too, and broke up his marriage, something that for a lot of people wasn't acceptable, even with how good Slott is as a writer.

DC's reboot was a continuity one, not neccessarily a character one for the most part. Batman is still in his strange relationship with Selina Kyle (it's actually more promiment in the new 52). Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris are working things out. Aquaman and Mera are still together a la Brightest Day. DC used it's reboot to change histories, not neccessarily it's character's situations, which was what they did with OMD.

The only "big" DC character that suffered the same kind of issue was Superman, but most people don't care because most people don't care about Lois Lane.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 03:47 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Final Night is a complete crap

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 03:59 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man is pretty great, actually.
I've been enjoying it. The only thing thats annoying is the teasing of MJ and Peter together when we know thats not happening.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 04:23 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

@Pr: Alan also likes dudes now and is young.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 06:57 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Bentley
@Pr: Alan also likes dudes now and is young.

Yes, there are exceptions. Of course there are. I just disagree with it being their "whole universe" when it's a small minority of characters.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 07:46 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Cry for Justice was awful

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 07:57 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by -Pr-
Yes, there are exceptions. Of course there are. I just disagree with it being their "whole universe" when it's a small minority of characters.

I think we disagree on what constitutes a minority. For example, the entire JSA is different by all counts. Numerous other heroes are, and everyone had something changed about them. I also consider the Wildstorm cannibalization to be part of their sweeping changes.

Also, you seem to highlight relationships in your earlier post, but that's simply honing in on one aspect of the character. Staying with the same person romantically doesn't constitute no changes. And we know everyone underwent either significant change in some way, or they're simply not connected to their past appearances.

I mean, it's a "reboot" by very definition. Wholesale change and continuity resetting is literally what it is. Whereas, exactly one thing changed for Pete. And it's something they've put in the rear-view, so that it's not permeating every issue.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 08:20 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Cry for Justice was awful

Totally agree.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2012 08:27 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think we disagree on what constitutes a minority. For example, the entire JSA is different by all counts. Numerous other heroes are, and everyone had something changed about them. I also consider the Wildstorm cannibalization to be part of their sweeping changes.

Also, you seem to highlight relationships in your earlier post, but that's simply honing in on one aspect of the character. Staying with the same person romantically doesn't constitute no changes. And we know everyone underwent either significant change in some way, or they're simply not connected to their past appearances.

I mean, it's a "reboot" by very definition. Wholesale change and continuity resetting is literally what it is. Whereas, exactly one thing changed for Pete. And it's something they've put in the rear-view, so that it's not permeating every issue.

Changing one small detail about a character through a retcon really isn't the same thing as OMD, tbh. We're talking about a substantial life change for Spidey, not altering one event in his past that won't count when the next arc rolls around.

But that's where you're wrong; several characters are almost identical to what they were beforehand; any changes are superficial at best, like Batman or the Lanterns, whose pre-Flashpoint stuff has remained largely if not completely intact.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but I very much disagree that it's the same thing. It's not a fundamental change to every character like you're saying it is, the way it was for Spider-Man, imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 01:19 AM
Bouboumaster

Ok ok, I got two others here:

Onslaught, and probably one of the worst thing ever written: Ultimatum

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 01:25 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Rise of arsenal.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 01:29 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Ok ok, I got two others here:

Onslaught, and probably one of the worst thing ever written: Ultimatum

I didn't get through all of Ultimatum. That was the definition of bad writing. It brought the Ultimate Universe to it's knees. But of course Loeb is still strong in Marvel.

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 01:31 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Originally posted by Damborgson
I didn't get through all of Ultimatum. That was the definition of bad writing. It brought the Ultimate Universe to it's knees. But of course Loeb is still strong in Marvel.

Loeb is an interesting dude, because he can do both masterpieces, and mastepieces of shit.
What's for sure is that he can't write huge scale events. He has to be put on more "down-to-Earth" stories.
As for Ultimatum, he killed the Ultimae Universe for me.

Now, let's get serious:
Fraction's take on Silver Surfer/Galactus vs Thor/Odin.
What did we learn from that?
- Surfer and Thor are pretty much equals
- Galactus stomp Odin hard
- Surfer, Thor and Odin LOVE the headbutt. They love that shit. The headbutt is the "way-to-go" attack.
- Galactus fired every heralds he had, and scrapped his Punishers robots, and now use the Space Demons (wtf is that shit!?)
- Galactus is born from a seed (ret-coning the Big G's origins, AGAIN)
- Galactus will take anybody has a herald
- Odin is a retard: giving the Galactus seed to Galactus prevents billions of worlds to be eaten, and also prevents an ass whoopîng . Still, he keeps it. And he knocked himself out on Galactus. Who saw that coming?
- Silver Surfer and Thor are foul mouthed.
- Fraction don't know shit on both Silver Surfer and Thor, and didn't give a single ****.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 04:37 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by -Pr-
Changing one small detail about a character through a retcon really isn't the same thing as OMD, tbh. We're talking about a substantial life change for Spidey, not altering one event in his past that won't count when the next arc rolls around.

But that's where you're wrong; several characters are almost identical to what they were beforehand; any changes are superficial at best, like Batman or the Lanterns, whose pre-Flashpoint stuff has remained largely if not completely intact.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but I very much disagree that it's the same thing. It's not a fundamental change to every character like you're saying it is, the way it was for Spider-Man, imo.

Heh. Ok. I can encapsulate the entirety of Spider-Man's changes in one sentence. "He's not married to Mary Jane anymore." Try doing that for any DC character. Even the ones you mentioned like Batman and the Lanterns need new backstory on, for example, how the Robin "system" works, or what, if anything remains continuity from Pre-Flashpoint. What story arcs from the past are invalidated. Who they know and how they know them. Their aptitude with their power. Etc. etc. Remaining mostly the same in terms of character portrayal isn't a small change when their entire history gets rebooted or invalidated, and often changed. And by that logic, Spider-Man's not just similar to before, he still is the character from before. He just didn't have to go through the whole "new universe" thing. Just compare the scope...how can you say it's the same thing with a straight face when we could make a list of dozens of things for each character that have changed, and Spider-Man's can be summarized in a sentence?

It just seems pretty absurd to me to consider them anywhere near the same. You're right that SM won't shrug off the OMD change in subsequent story arcs, but that's an unfair point to make when the same can be said with Flashpoint for literally hundreds of characters. DC rebooted a universe and merged it with another. Spider-Man's single now.

But yeah, otherwise, they're pretty much the same.

wink

Last edited by Digi on Jul 2nd, 2012 at 04:58 AM

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 04:51 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Heh. Ok. I can encapsulate the entirety of Spider-Man's changes in one sentence. "He's not married to Mary Jane anymore." Try doing that for any DC character. Even the ones you mentioned like Batman and the Lanterns need new backstory on, for example, how the Robin "system" works, or what, if anything remains continuity from Pre-Flashpoint. What story arcs from the past are invalidated. Who they know and how they know them. Their aptitude with their power. Etc. etc.

It just seems pretty absurd to me to consider them anywhere near the same. You're right that SM won't shrug off the OMD change in subsequent story arcs, but that's an unfair point to make when the same can be said with Flashpoint for literally hundreds of characters. DC rebooted a universe and merged it with another. Spider-Man's single now.

But yeah, otherwise, they're pretty much the same.

wink

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, tbh. Unless you've changed the subject.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 04:56 AM