KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Gandalf the White against Voldemort

Gandalf the White against Voldemort
Started by: srandle317

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

corretion. harry. if voldemort had a duel face to face with gandalf gandalf woudn't even have to break a sweat to blow him to pieces.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2003 04:32 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nephalim27

It'll probably go something like this:

*Voldemort pulls out his wand*
*Voldemort gets sliced in two*

Voldemort's head: Hey....that's...cheating...

*The End*

Old Post Dec 12th, 2003 08:12 PM
nephalim27 is currently offline Click here to Send nephalim27 a Private Message Find more posts by nephalim27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

voldemort: lets bow
*gandalf does not*
voldemort: i said bow, *uses spell to make gandalf bow, no effect* ah aveda keda.....*dead*

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 12th, 2003 08:14 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

quote:
Originally posted by Maikahyandowen
corretion. harry. if voldemort had a duel face to face with gandalf gandalf woudn't even have to break a sweat to blow him to pieces.

No, it may be either Neville or Harry that are the only ones to kill Voldemort, meaning Gandalf wouldn't be able to.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 12th, 2003 09:42 PM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

yeah but thats a technicality subsideing in only one book, rules like that are cast aside in duesl like this as that would be wholly unfair

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 12th, 2003 09:44 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

Voldemort could easily just use a disarming spell, then use the summoning spell to steal Gandalf's staff and then easily kill him. And if Gandalf used magic, Voldemort could just apparate out of the way and trick him.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Last edited by The Unknown on Dec 13th, 2003 at 04:05 AM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2003 03:41 AM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

right, about the apperating, gandalf can see spirit world, earlier explaine
gandalf has only been defeated twice once by sauron and once by saruman, both higher in power than him and he still escaped

gandalf doesnt need to say long pointless words to cast a spell like abracadabrliucioflagomuffun just for a simple death spell, so he ould fry volde in mid sentence

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 13th, 2003 12:26 PM
its_magic
ORDER OF MERLIN

gandalf dosnt have practicle magic like u seem to think sauron each wizards power is unique to themselves gandalf power is best used in the wild as he has control over alot of the creatures in middle wheres as voldemort he does have the famous hocus pocus and in harry potter they have a charm for everthing, so soon as gandalf losers his staff he is practilcly human useless, so he got no chance against voledmort.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 08:38 AM
its_magic is currently offline Click here to Send its_magic a Private Message Find more posts by its_magic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

actually its_magic his power has nothing to do with the wild, thats radagast the brown

Dates: Immortal. Radagast came to Middle-earth c.III 1000, and remained there at least until III 3018; his final fate is unknown.
Race: Ainur
Division: Maiar of Yavanna
Order: Istari (Wizards)
Meaning: Adûnaic for 'tender of beasts'1
Other Names: Aiwendil
Titles: The Bird-tamer, The Brown, The Fool, The Simple

The third, with Gandalf and Saruman, of the three Wizards who remained in the northwest of Middle-earth; he formerly dwelt at Rhosgobel on the borders of Mirkwood.

gandalf on the other hand

Dates: Immortal. In Middle-earth c. III 1000 to 29 September III 3021
Race: Ainur
Division: Maiar of Manwë and Varda
Order: Istari (Wizards)
Other Names: Incánus, Mithrandir, Olórin, Tharkûn
Titles: The Grey, Grey Pilgrim, Grey Wanderer, Stormcrow, The White
Meaning: 'Wand Elf' (but note that this name was given mistakenly by Men; Gandalf is a Maia, not an Elf)
Pronunciation: ga'ndalf
(A note in Appendix E of The Lord of the Rings that final 'f' should be pronounced 'v' leads some to mispronounce this name 'gandalv'. 'Gandalf' is not an Elvish name, however, and this rule does not apply)

In origin a Maia of Manwë and Varda, Gandalf came to the northwest of Middle-earth after a thousand years of the Third Age had passed, with four others of his order. At the Grey Havens, Círdan entrusted him with the Red Ring, Narya, to aid him in contesting the will of Sauron.

Gandalf wandered widely in Middle-earth, and learned much of its races and peoples. Unlike his fellow Wizards Saruman and Radagast, he never settled in a single place. He was instrumental in the victory of the War of the Ring, but during that conflict he battled with a Balrog, and though he was ultimately victorious, his spirit left his body, but was sent back to Middle-earth to complete his task.

Gandalf finally left Middle-earth in 3021 (Third Age), when he departed over the sea with the Ring-bearers

The Magic of Gandalf
Tolkien at no point defines what the limits of Gandalf's magic were. As a Maia, he had many natural abilities that would seem magical to mortal races, but he also had a great store of knowledge of more 'mechanical' magic, worked through spells and incantations, and especially through the agency of his staff. It is clear that he had far greater power, especially after his return as Gandalf the White, than he ever displayed in Middle-earth.
His magical powers seem to be particularly associated with fire, a fact that is perhaps related to the Ring of Fire, Narya, that he bore.

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 11:56 AM
The Unknown
Anomaly

quote:
Originally posted by sauron
right, about the apperating, gandalf can see spirit world, earlier explaine
gandalf has only been defeated twice once by sauron and once by saruman, both higher in power than him and he still escaped

gandalf doesnt need to say long pointless words to cast a spell like abracadabrliucioflagomuffun just for a simple death spell, so he ould fry volde in mid sentence

Uh, apparating doesn't take a person to the spirit world... they just instantly teleport. And as you said, Gandalf needs his staff to perform a lot of his magic, so once he loses it, most of his powerful magic is gone.

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 12:35 AM
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

we don't know just how much he needs that staff of his. having Glamdring wouldn't hurt to have either. half of Voldy goes this way...... half of Voldy goes that way.......

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 04:12 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

At least with Gandalf the Grey, he needs the staff for most of his power, which is probably why he lost to Saruman so easily after his staff was taken.

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 10:10 PM
ElvenQueen

Gandalf...cause hes just so awesome.

A place that I can share with you

http://www.shirtless4ever.cjb.net

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 11:16 PM
ElvenQueen is currently offline Click here to Send ElvenQueen a Private Message Find more posts by ElvenQueen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

gandalf

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 03:07 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

Actually, Voldemort would win.

1. He can apparate, easily dodging any of Gandalf's attacks.
2. Gandalf is pretty much powerless, though he can do some magic, without his staff. All Voldemort would have to do is use the disarming spell and blast Gandalf with the death spell.
3. Gandalf has a mortal human/human-like body, however Voldemort does not.
4. To perform difficult spells, such as controlling someone, Gandalf would need deep concentration, unlike with Voldemort, who can instantly do a spell.
5. Voldmort can only be killed by Neville/Harry.

Voldemort definitely would win. Even though Gandalf is cool, it doesn't mean that he stands a chance against Voldemort.

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 03:47 AM
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

You don't know what kind of a body Voldy has. and besides, you're forgetting the cardinal rule about bad guy versus good guy: GOOD GUY ALWAYS WINS. duhhhhh. and gandalf is quite obviously the good guy. and he only lost to sauruman that time because at the time, sauruman was a slightly more powerful wizard than him. Voldy is not.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 04:25 PM
The Inkeeper

saruman was head of the order and was white, gandalf lost because he was superior to him, did you even read my last post

Gandalf wandered widely in Middle-earth, and learned much of its races and peoples. Unlike his fellow Wizards Saruman and Radagast, he never settled in a single place. He was instrumental in the victory of the War of the Ring, but during that conflict he battled with a Balrog, and though he was ultimately victorious, his spirit left his body, but was sent back to Middle-earth to complete his task.

Gandalf finally left Middle-earth in 3021 (Third Age), when he departed over the sea with the Ring-bearers

The Magic of Gandalf
Tolkien at no point defines what the limits of Gandalf's magic were. As a Maia, he had many natural abilities that would seem magical to mortal races, but he also had a great store of knowledge of more 'mechanical' magic, worked through spells and incantations, and especially through the agency of his staff. It is clear that he had far greater power, especially after his return as Gandalf the White, than he ever displayed in Middle-earth.
His magical powers seem to be particularly associated with fire, a fact that is perhaps related to the Ring of Fire, Narya, that he bore.

^^how is he powerless, unknown have you even read any tokien, plus you really think a disarming spell would work on gandalf, plus he has narya

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 07:40 PM
Julie
The Student

ok...if Voldermort's destined to be bested by a kid like Harry...then I believe Gandalf wins hands down

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 07:46 PM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

HAHA! she has a point there. Gandalf's never lost to a kid, and Voldy's lost 5 TIMES.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 08:04 PM
Julie
The Student

ouch....poor Vol.....that's gotta take something out of the old pride

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 08:06 PM