KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Gandalf the White against Voldemort

Gandalf the White against Voldemort
Started by: srandle317

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

i don't think it has. yet.......

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 08:10 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

just you wait.....a few hit to the pride like that....and something's gotta give roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 08:24 PM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

quote:
Originally posted by Maikahyandowen
HAHA! she has a point there. Gandalf's never lost to a kid, and Voldy's lost 5 TIMES.

Exactly when did he lose 5 times? He hasn't lost to Harry yet...

1. Separated from body because of Lily Potter, not Harry.
2. Could not physically touch Harry so Quirrell died, again, because of Lily, not Harry.
3. Harry ran from Voldemort in GoF.

The only times he's fought the actual Voldemort and lived was because of Lily or when the spirits emerged in GoF.

And as said "Tolkien at no point defines what the limits of Gandalf's magic were", that doesn't mean he's almighty, his limits are never said. His powers strongest powers in his mortal body may be just a little stronger than what he has shown.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 10:14 PM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

almighty might give you an idea, i think. and he did lose to harry. lily is just a sort of shield for him.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 04:16 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

well voldy IS going to lose to harry, or even worse neville.

gandalf full power is never shown as it would be disastrous i mean come on his powers are limitless, that is why they are not shown to the full tolkien knew no words he could write would be able to explain properly gandalfs powers

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 09:05 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Ryugen
No longer hairy

I've never read the LOTR books so I have go by movie standerds. This means Voldermort would win since movie Gandalf can only make fire works or use the force. (Don't believe me watch the Gandalf and Saruman fight in the Fellowship)

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 10:30 AM
Lord Ryugen is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Ryugen a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Ryugen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

good guys always win. and gandalf is soooo much more powerful than Voldy ever was.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 04:13 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

I know they don't always go by the book in movies, but if Gandalf's so powerful, why didn't he just take out the army when attacking Minas Tirith(sp?)? And Maikahyandowen, he didn't lose to Harry. Harry had nothing to do with it, Lily put the spell on him.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 09:38 PM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

lord ryugen you havent read the books, youve seen the films his magic is far more powerful in the books than in the movies

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 09:38 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

ive said why he never destroyes sauron before, they are both maia and it would be perilous for him to try as he may lose, and who then would protect middle earth. he is like a guardian, he makes sure dark forces dont win but he lets people fight on there own, otherwise they would become dependant on him, and when he left they would be dismayed

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 09:43 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

Anyways, as soon as Gandalf would move his staff, Voldy would easily apparate behind him and nail him with the instant, unstoppable death spell.

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 09:56 PM
ravenclaw_guy

I am ewally sure that Voldemort would win, not just because I really like Harry Potter, but because Gandalf the White is very powerful but he would really have to chant a lot of magick just to hurt Voldemort whereas Voldemort has got Avada Kedavra, just two words, not long hard complicated words. Yes Avada Kedavra does take a lot of power, but Voldemort can do it with a wave of his wand, almosyt lazily. Yes Voldemort would win because he wouldn't have to mutter all the complicated magick.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 01:55 AM
ravenclaw_guy is currently offline Click here to Send ravenclaw_guy a Private Message Find more posts by ravenclaw_guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

will yuou shut the **** up about apparating man, gandalf doesnt have to move his staff, if it even looked as though gandalf would lose illuvatar would fry voldy

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 03:29 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

This thread is whether Voldy or Gandalf would win, so Illuvatar has nothing to do with this. And why stop talking about apparating, maybe because I prove a point?

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 09:41 PM
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

lily didn't " put" the spell on harry. and, as i said, it is mearly a shield for him, not unlike kthe one Voldy used when he was fighting Dumbledore. if he's so powerful, why does he need a shield?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 11:56 PM
The Unknown
Anomaly

It's a spell, and it's never said if she did or not, she may have said it as he killed James, and even if she didn't, Harry had no willing part in it, so Harry never "defeated" Voldy. And I don't remember him using a shield, though you're probably right, but he used it because Dumbledore could possibly be as or stronger than Voldemort. Dumbledore would be like a stronger Saruman to Gandalf.

But anyways, the question asked was who would win, and it would probably be Voldy because he can apparate, Gandalf can't. And as ravenclaw_guy said, it would probably take Gandalf concentration or a spell, yet Voldy can do it in an instant. And besides, prophecy-wise, Gandalf can't kill him. Even though Gandalf theoretically has immense power, it doesn't mean he can do things that Voldy can. I doubt he can materialize things or say turn a person into a rabbit. That's all Voldy would have to do to Gandalf, lol.

-The Architect AKA Larry

Last edited by The Unknown on Dec 20th, 2003 at 01:25 AM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 01:15 AM
tombombadil155

Ok first of all Gandalf is basically more powerful than a demi-god, and on the other hand you have this dumbass that is constantly foiled by some prepubscent douche bag with a shitty magic wand, guess which one is going to win. Apparently the harry potter guy is an alterater, but Gandalf could basically cast any spell he damn well pleases, and if he ever was defeated he would just come back and start fighting becauses hes crazy like that. Also Gandalf just does whatever spell when he wants to, people in harry potter land always have some 20 page riddle to recite, leaving themselves quite vulnerable. But in the end we can all agree Tom Bombadil would roll up on them with his yellow boots and blue pimp hat, when they were fighting and the harry potter dude would be like I'm so ****ing cool your gonna die, and cast time stop , and Tom would sit there for a second and the dude from harry potter would eventually commit suicide because Bombadil would be hmmm, thats quite uninteresting.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 12:40 PM
tombombadil155 is currently offline Click here to Send tombombadil155 a Private Message Find more posts by tombombadil155 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

lol EXACTLY

plus in harry potter, when harry is going to duel with draco he needs a second or something incase one of you dies, well gandalfs second could be the witch king, no man can kill him so voldy would not stand a chance, be a wizard but so was gandalf and he and dont say voldy isnt a man , he may couldnt defeat him, voldy may be powerful BUT he has a penis, hes a man

Im Back happy

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 01:25 PM
heen68
heen68

Lord voldemort is just human who learnt magic but Gandalf is magic. Also he is not human. As it says in the book he is a more powerful being than any mortal, and has been sent to help men.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 01:38 PM
heen68 is currently offline Click here to Send heen68 a Private Message Find more posts by heen68 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

tombombadil155, so I'm guessing that imperio and accio are twenty pages. The longest spell is like six-syllables. Yeah, it really leaves them vulnerable... And when has Voldy "constantly" been defeated by Harry? The first time was because of Lily, as was the second time. The third time was because copies of the spirits of people who Voldy had killed helped Harry escape. The fourth time Dumbledore and all the other wizards arrived and Voldy had to leave. Even though he's powerful, a large group of wizards could still possibly beat him, as the same with Gandalf. And where is it ever shown Gandalf turning a rock into a bird or instantly killing someone?

sauron and heen68, Voldy IS NOT HUMAN. It states in the books, he's gone through many transformations, plus the final one, where he is resurrected into snakelike-creature's body. Gandalf may not be human, but he's in a mortal body, meaning he can die. And Voldy is also magic, he was born a wizard, and wizards have power w/o their wand...

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Dec 20th, 2003 05:42 PM