KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why Gandalf didn't fight the Witch King

Why Gandalf didn't fight the Witch King
Started by: K3VIL

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's not vitally important, the point is that the earlier poster said "Gandalf fought all 9 with no problem", which is so much bull. The Nine together were more than anyone could handle, and the Witch-King was the central part of that.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 01:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Witch-King is the strongest of the nine and what Ush said is true. It is said that no one can stand against all Nine ringwraiths.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 09:18 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Im providin my quotes again to prove that Gandalf is more powerful

"Gandalf: Dangerous, And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet."

also here's another quote....

"The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier then they are: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him."

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:29 PM
JediMasterLuke5 is currently offline Click here to Send JediMasterLuke5 a Private Message Find more posts by JediMasterLuke5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That was a comment made ABOUT Gandalf. It's just opinion.

As quotes from Gandalf himself in this thread earlier have shown, he himself did not think he was the Witch-King's superior come to a fight. He at least had the possibility that he might not prevail.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:36 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
That was a comment made ABOUT Gandalf. It's just opinion.

As quotes from Gandalf himself in this thread earlier have shown, he himself did not think he was the Witch-King's superior come to a fight. He at least had the possibility that he might not prevail.

Tolkien doesnt lie. In books opinions are facts. Tolkein wouldnt have wrote that if it wasnt true.

The witch king sucks get it through all your stubborn heads. Peter Jackson isnot Tolkein. Gandalf is Maiar of course he beats a man.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:41 PM
JediMasterLuke5 is currently offline Click here to Send JediMasterLuke5 a Private Message Find more posts by JediMasterLuke5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by JediMasterLuke5
Tolkien doesnt lie. In books opinions are facts. Tolkein wouldnt have wrote that if it wasnt true.

The witch king sucks get it through all your stubborn heads. Peter Jackson isnot Tolkein. Gandalf is Maiar of course he beats a man.

How asinine a statement is that?

It was the opinion of a character in the book. Do all character's opinions in books immediately become fact because it's in a book? Don't be stupid.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:43 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

But when Tolkien gives his characters lines that contradict the lines of others, then you know they are opinion, not fact. Try readng his conversation with Denethor.

You say we are stubborn- we have simply done our research. Try again.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:44 PM
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Originally posted by Ushgarak
But when Tolkien gives his characters lines that contradict the lines of others, then you know they are opinion, not fact. Try readng his conversation with Denethor.

You say we are stubborn- we have simply done our research. Try again.

You have done research that BS, I just gave you proof that Gandalf was greater......

"The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier then they are: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him."

That right there is proof.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:48 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Opinion from another character. Not proof. AGAIN. Go read the convo with Denethor.

Please do the courtesy of reading posts correctly.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:50 PM
Peach
mordrem

You have done research that BS, I just gave you proof that Gandalf was greater......

That right there is proof.

Except, it's not proof. I cannot remember who said that in the book, because as I've said, I haven't read it in a couple years, but it remains the opinion of a character. That does NOT make it fact.

(yay for posting at the same time....)

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:51 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Im providin my quotes again to prove that Gandalf is more powerful

"Gandalf: Dangerous, And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet."

also here's another quote....

That was Aragon saying that not Gandalf.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Chapter IV: The Siege of Gondor Pg. 800-801 (One volume edition)
'Is Faramir come?' he asked.
'No,' said Gandalf. 'But he still lived when I left him. Yet he is resolved to stay with the reargurad, lest the retreat over the Pelennor become a rout. He may, perhaps, hold his men together long enough, but I doubt it. He is pitted against a foe too great. For one has come that I feared.'
'Not - the Dark Lord?' cried Pippin, forgetting his place in his terror.
Denethor laughed bitterly. 'Nay, not yet, Master Peregrin! He will not come save only to triumph over me when all is won. He uses others as his weapons. So do all great lords, if they are wise, Master Halfling. Or why should I sit here in my tower and think, and watch, and wair, spending even my sons? For I can still wield a brand.'
He stood up and cast opened his long black cloak, and behold! he was clad in mail beneath, and grit with a long sword, great-hilted in a sheath of black and silver. 'Thus have I walked, and thus now for many years have I slept,' he said, 'lest we age the body should grow soft and timid.'
'Yet now under the Lord of Barad-dur the most fell of all his captains is already master of your outer walls' said Gandalf. 'King of Angmar long ago, Sorcerer, Ringwraith, Lord of the Nazgul, a spear of terror in the hand of Sauron, shadow of despair.'
'Then, Mithrandir, you had a foe to match you,' Said Denethor. 'For myself, I have long known who is chief captain of the hosts of the Dark Tower. Is this all that you have returned to say? Or cab it be that you have withdrawn because you are overmatched?'
Pippin trembled, fearing that Gandalf would be stung to sudden wrath, but his fear was needless. 'It might be so,' Gandalf answered softly.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 07:53 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Originally posted by Lana
Except, it's not proof. I cannot remember who said that in the book, because as I've said, I haven't read it in a couple years, but it remains the opinion of a character. That does NOT make it fact.

(yay for posting at the same time....)

Tolkein doesnt lie, he doesnt write down statements unless theyre true. If it is said then it is true, opinions do not exist in books becuz of this very reason becuz people think theyre opinions. Opinion in books equal truth.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:29 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Gandalf said himself the Witch-King is his equal or even his better and Aragon (who has no idea how strong Gandalf the White is) says he is greater then the nine.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:31 AM
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Just look at it this way
Maiar>>>>>>Man

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:34 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Look at it like this

Sauron>>>>>Witch-King>(=)Gandalf

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:36 AM
Peach
mordrem

Tolkein doesnt lie, he doesnt write down statements unless theyre true. If it is said then it is true, opinions do not exist in books becuz of this very reason becuz people think theyre opinions. Opinion in books equal truth.

That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. So every opinion held by a character in a book must be truth? Characters in books CAN be wrong. Opinions CAN exist in books, believe it or not. Just because an author has a character think a certain way, does NOT mean the author himself thinks that way.

Goodness.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:36 AM
kimmeh
vixen

Originally posted by Lana
That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. So every opinion held by a character in a book must be truth? Characters in books CAN be wrong. Opinions CAN exist in books, believe it or not. Just because an author has a character think a certain way, does NOT mean the author himself thinks that way.

Goodness.

messed i thought this was common sense

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:38 AM
kimmeh is currently offline Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by bilb
messed i thought this was common sense

So did I...

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:39 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

He's stubborn and doesn't want to admit Gandalf is defeated

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 12:40 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Why the heck do you never do the courtesy of reading posts properly?

Even if it were so, and Tolkien liked to put truth in people's mouths, as we have pointed out, other characters in the book CONTRADICT that pov with their words.

They can't BOTH be speaking truth, can they? So obviously your idea there is wrong. And you know what- we already told you that. Several times. Aragorn says that and Gandalf passes no comment. But Denethor says the opposite- that the Gandalf cannot stand against the Witch-King- and Gandalf admits it MIGHT be true. There is no certainity, for sure, but he allows for the possibility. We tell you all this... and yet all you can do is repeat that "Aragorn said it so it must be so because Tolkien would otherwise have not said it". This is one of those 'Why do we bother?' situations.

There is a phenomenon via which people are used as vessels to convey facts- though it is normally in films, not books, as books can simply state facts in prose. But as noted, it is simply common sense to see that it is not the case here!

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 13th, 2005 at 07:51 AM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 07:39 AM