KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why atheism?

Why atheism?
Started by: Regret

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Regret
One Among Many

Why atheism?

Most questions on here are directed at religious people, given this, I decided to question the atheists.

Why atheism over religion? Why do you believe that there is no God? Why not agnostic at the least?

It seems to me that a stance such as atheism takes a decent amount of faith in the absence of such a figure, as the absence of evidence cannot be held as evidence.

In my opinion, atheism presents itself as a possible stumbling block to discovery and advancement as it is based in an assumption that is just as untestable as the opposing assumption. I do not believe it necessary to consider the possibility of God as an explanation in scientific research just because it is possible, but I believe the absolute denial of the possibility is illogical and poorly rationalized.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 07:18 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Technically, am I an atheist because I do not believe in a god, if it is defined as a supernatural male being worshiped as the creator of the universe? I do believe that the universe is a living being that we are a part of, that I call God for continents sake. So, were would you categories me?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 07:28 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

For me it more because of human nature and seeing how people use religion and God as an excuse to do about anything. There are so many religions in this world and more made up everyday, even the older ones are being revised on a daily basis so how can this be a truth from “one that knows all” if it has to change.

The concept of God is much like a Sci-Fi novel that one person has all this power and has this divine plan of all of its creations is just absurd to me. I find more belief that there is a higher being with powers or technology that is responsible for life but not a God, much the way an ant would look up to a human.

Relying on the writings and accounts of people that thought that anything they didn’t understand was the power of some unseen god or spirit when it was a simple everyday occurrence or a trick of the eye like heat rising from the ground looks like water. This makes any account suspicious to me and unreliable.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 07:29 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Technically, am I an atheist because I do not believe in a god, if it is defined as a supernatural male being worshiped as the creator of the universe? I do believe that the universe is a living being that we are a part of, that I call God for continents sake. So, were would you categories me?
I would not categorize Buddhists as atheist in my view of atheism. I think the term needs to be slightly redefined as I think the term was created in a civilization where religions such as Buddhism were not present.

quote:
Theology
1 The study of the nature of God and religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions.
2 A system or school of opinions concerning God and religious questions: Protestant theology; Jewish theology.
3 A course of specialized religious study usually at a college or seminary.

Definitions 1 and 2 should be altered to have and/or such that:

1 The study of the nature of God and/or religious truth; rational inquiry into religious questions.
2 A system or school of opinions concerning God and/or religious questions: Protestant theology; Jewish theology.

I believe Buddhism would be defined as a theology, thus Buddhist Theology is an accurate term I believe.

Perhaps I should restate my subject to atheologists that have a atheistic stance?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 07:47 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by ThePittman
For me it more because of human nature and seeing how people use religion and God as an excuse to do about anything. There are so many religions in this world and more made up everyday, even the older ones are being revised on a daily basis so how can this be a truth from “one that knows all” if it has to change.

The concept of God is much like a Sci-Fi novel that one person has all this power and has this divine plan of all of its creations is just absurd to me. I find more belief that there is a higher being with powers or technology that is responsible for life but not a God, much the way an ant would look up to a human.

Relying on the writings and accounts of people that thought that anything they didn’t understand was the power of some unseen god or spirit when it was a simple everyday occurrence or a trick of the eye like heat rising from the ground looks like water. This makes any account suspicious to me and unreliable.
But as to the denial of the possibility, why is this view held? Skepticism and suspicion I can respect, but they are not absolute. I am not referencing religions in any manner, only the possibility of the existence of God. Religious skepticism and disbelief hold much more validity for me than atheism, which I find to be irrational.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 07:54 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Regret
But as to the denial of the possibility, why is this view held? Skepticism and suspicion I can respect, but they are not absolute. I am not referencing religions in any manner, only the possibility of the existence of God. Religious skepticism and disbelief hold much more validity for me than atheism, which I find to be irrational.

You misinterperet atheism and agnosticism.

Agnositcs don't have an answer. They don't want to prove or disprove existance of gods. Many just don't think the question matters.

An athiest thinks that no gods exist. That doesn't mean that any they deny total possibility. The same holds true for religion. Religious people have to rationally concede that there is a possibility that no god exists.

Personally, most of my beliefs come from a progression basically stating that religions were false pretenses made around personal interpreations of percieved gods. In my opinion the only reason that religion is still around is because people choose to teach it from birth. Therefore it would be my personal opinion that if a god existed (which is both irrational and contradictory to every other aspect of existance) the probability that we here on Earth have a proper religiondescription of that god is about as close to 0 as you can get.

There come a point, in all rational thought, where if the probability approaces zero so much that your functial probability becomes 0. The intellectual proabalilty is still a physical number, and you have to admit that, but for all intents and purposes, god is fake.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:04 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Regret
Religion and the belief in God go hand and hand, trying to separate them is not possible. It is the religion that says what God is and the rules to follow, it’s like the chicken and the egg and which came first.

The denial of the possibility of God can also go both ways, who to say that someone that believes can’t have the possibility that God doesn’t exist and what they have believed all their life is false. Most Atheists that I know would believe if shown some type of real proof that he exists and I’ve never seen anything of such. It would be hard pressed to show this evidence because of the twisted nature of some believers and twisting logic and facts to suit their purpose so it would have to be more irrefutable proof.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:05 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Alliance
There come a point, in all rational thought, where if the probability approaces zero so much that your functial probability becomes 0. The intellectual proabalilty is still a physical number, and you have to admit that, but for all intents and purposes, god is fake.
Very well said thumb up

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:07 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Thanks, I've thougut this through a lot over the years.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:08 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

However, my religion does not worship a God. I personally believe in a God but other members would consider themselves as atheists.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:08 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Regret, also don't forget that there are degrees of atheism as well, I'm weak athiest, which is basically an agnostic that opens his eyes ninja.

Like in any religion (in this case religious pilosophy) the radical elements do not reflect well on the moderate majority.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:11 PM
Peach
mordrem

The simple and short of it, for me, is that I find the idea of some higher being controlling everything silly and irrational. There is more to it, and it's mostly due to a lack of evidence to show otherwise (and remember that burden of proof is on the one making the positive claim), but that is largely why I do not believe in any sort of god or religion.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:12 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

You misinterperet atheism and agnosticism.

Agnositcs don't have an answer. They don't want to prove or disprove existance of gods. Many just don't think the question matters.

An athiest thinks that no gods exist. That doesn't mean that any they deny total possibility. The same holds true for religion. Religious people have to rationally concede that there is a possibility that no god exists.

Personally, most of my beliefs come from a progression basically stating that religions were false pretenses made around personal interpreations of percieved gods. In my opinion the only reason that religion is still around is because people choose to teach it from birth. Therefore it would be my personal opinion that if a god existed (which is both irrational and contradictory to every other aspect of existance) the probability that we here on Earth have a proper religiondescription of that god is about as close to 0 as you can get.

I am not misinterpreting. I am speaking to the absolute denial, and I know many absolute atheists. In my experience, atheists I have met tend towards the absolute, or true, atheist position. I would classify you as borderline atheist, as your view is agnostic with a more rational stance on the subject causing your position to be much closer to atheism than to theism, imo.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:12 PM
Kayne Archeron

it's an interesting thought though... are creatures like us, with our intellectual and imaginative possibilities, really the products of chance?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:16 PM
Kayne Archeron is currently offline Click here to Send Kayne Archeron a Private Message Find more posts by Kayne Archeron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I don't consider myself agnostic and calling me one would not be correct. I'm athiest, however I am rational and have a stance that is not confrontational. However, if a person walked up to me on the street and said do you believe in god, I would say flatly "no."

Have you ever asked these "athiest" firends of yous to concede that there is an unnaturall small unnatural possibility that a god in some form exists. What did they say?

Can you personally deny the probability that a god does not exist?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:17 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The road to atheism tends to be very personal and individual, based upon the specific circumstances of a person’ s life, experiences, and attitudes. As goes for theism.

Perhaps the most basic reason for not believing in any gods is the absence of good reasons for doing so.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:38 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Thats right. Remeber, burden of proof is on those people of religion. There is no natural reason why god should exist or even thought to exist. God is an unnatural concept. The default positon should be atheism, but because of the pervasiveness of religion in socities...people view the situation the other way.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:42 PM
Trickster
True KMC Jester

I find that both flatout denial and blind faith are distateful positions to hold. There is no, nor will their ever be any, conclusive evidence on the existence of God.

However, if someone is going to hold one or the other, athiesm seems more rational than faith. When one decides that things for which there is no evidence, then they really have no basis to deny the existence of anything else. How can a theist deny the existence of fairies? An athiest has the benefit of being able to deny everything which cannot be proved.

(As an aside, being an athiest carries with it other more negative connotations. If someone refuses to accept things without proof, then can they decide what is right or wrong?)

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:44 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

I don't consider myself agnostic and calling me one would not be correct. I'm athiest, however I am rational and have a stance that is not confrontational. However, if a person walked up to me on the street and said do you believe in god, I would say flatly "no."

Have you ever asked these "athiest" firends of yous to concede that there is an unnaturall small unnatural possibility that a god in some form exists. What did they say?

Can you personally deny the probability that a god does not exist?
The majority of them deny the possibility, but yes I see what you mean, none of them would make an absolute statement to God's nonexistence. They cite typical responses that diminish the probability of such an entity. They are well educated people, and their rationale

I would agree that there is a possibility that God does not exist. Perhaps all stances are agnostic with varying degrees. And pure atheism and pure theism are merely points along this agnostic continuum. Perhaps without evidence to either stance, true theism and atheism are impossible.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:46 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

My take?

Neither Religion or Atheism is above each other in my world. Period! Live with it.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:47 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote