KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman?

Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman?
Started by: Entity

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Thor.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Mar 31st, 2010 06:40 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Marvel really doesn't have a flagship female character. Closest is probably She-Hulk, because she's a ri...er, take-off on a well-established Marvel character.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2010 06:48 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

The problem is Marvel doesn't have a flagship female superhero.

As to Marvel's Wonder Woman counterpart, probably Ms. Marvel.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2010 11:05 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

After thinking it over again, I now think the answer is Thundra.

It occurred to me today - Thundra is Marvel's interpretation of Wonder Woman, just as Orion is DC's interpretation of Thor.

Both of them appeared right around the same time, in the early 1970's. Jack Kirby, after all his time on Thor, decides to take Marvel's Norse mythos and do it in a science fiction setting at DC, with the New Gods. Orion parallels Thor in many ways: great strength & fighting skills, enormous temper, uses a weapon only he can wield (instead of mjolnir, the astro harness), even his silver helmet has some stylized wings on the side.

Likewise, Thundra comes from a female matriarchy (instead of a mythical island, an alternate future), and is the greatest fighter and champion among her female peers.
(Coincidentally, both Orion & Thundra have red hair.)
Just as Diana has a tiara and favours her lasso, Thundra has a stylized metal crown/headband and favours a long, weighted chain in battle. Also, Pre-Crisis Diana didn't have the ability to fly, which is like Thundra currently.

It's also more interesting to watch Wonder Woman interact with 'Man's World' instead of with her family; just like Thundra is more interesting acting away from Femizona.

Attachment: thundra&thehulk-prologue.jpg
This has been downloaded 138 time(s).

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 8th, 2010 07:30 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

^Plus - Thundra is an original character, like Diana. While other contenders like Miss Marvel, She-Hulk and Thor Girl are female versions of already established male heroes.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2010 07:51 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
novablast16
I will bite you to death

maybe she hulk or ms marvel

Gamer tag. Novablast15. teams AMC and Authority

Old Post Apr 9th, 2010 02:22 AM
novablast16 is currently offline Click here to Send novablast16 a Private Message Find more posts by novablast16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
novablast16
I will bite you to death

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
^Plus - Thundra is an original character, like Diana. While other contenders like Miss Marvel, She-Hulk and Thor Girl are female versions of already established male heroes.
no marvel ww not just powers but Thundra isnt as well know like ww< it has to be some one who has powers and is sort of well know.Thundra is good thou

Gamer tag. Novablast15. teams AMC and Authority

Old Post Apr 9th, 2010 02:26 AM
novablast16 is currently offline Click here to Send novablast16 a Private Message Find more posts by novablast16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

The closest in influence/role would probably be Storm- she's sometimes been the leader, and always an influential member, of Marvel's biggest selling team. At this moment she doesn't get to do a lot, but traditionally she's big.

Ororo does also have that 'weather goddess' thing going for her, sorta like how Diana has a 'Goddess of Truth' thing.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2010 07:15 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Can't forget about this one as a candidate - very powerful (I remember when she was slugging it out with Juggernaut), and shares Wonder Woman's empathy with nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meggan

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 01:48 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Mindship
Marvel really doesn't have a flagship female character. Closest is probably She-Hulk, because she's a ri...er, take-off on a well-established Marvel character.

I'd like to think comparisons go like this:

Thundra - Wonder Woman
She Hulk - Power Girl
Miss Marvel - Supergirl
Tarene/Thor Girl - Mary Marvel

Old Post Apr 10th, 2010 10:12 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

If you went with Miss Marvel, one parallel would be she's the only woman who's outfit makes less sense than Wonder Woman's. stick out tongue

(And yes, I am counting Power Girl.)

Old Post Oct 19th, 2010 04:30 PM
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Philosophía
Thor.

This.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2010 05:23 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Entity
If Captain American is their Superman and Ironman is there Batman who on the Avengers or otherwhys is Marvels Wonder Woman?
Ms. Marvel?
She-Hulk?
Who???

If we're talking power, I'd go with Zarda/Power Princess (lots of potential but mishandled). If we're talking popularity Ms. Marvel pretty much fits the bill.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2010 04:04 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Stoic
If we're talking power, I'd go with Zarda/Power Princess (lots of potential but mishandled). If we're talking popularity Ms. Marvel pretty much fits the bill.

I'd be better to go with a character who isn't a deliberate analogue, like Zarda. And besides, she's not even part of 616 continuity.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2010 05:46 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Wasp of course.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 10th, 2010 11:47 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Marvel didn't set out in the 1960's to create their own versions of DC characters - it was actually the opposite, to do what hadn't been done in comics before and turn the medium on it's head. But as it worked out, aspects of power and personality of DC's big three are spread out among dozens of Marvel characters (discounting deliberate analogue characters like Hyperion, Gladiator etc.)

Superman - Spider Man (the sunny central character of the company)
Captain America
Silver Surfer
Thor (the closest comparable, though early in his career
he was more like another version of Shazam)
Sentry (arguably closer to Miracleman)

Batman - Moon Knight
Spider Man
Iron Man (very close in terms of character, being rich,
paranoid control freaks who aren't far removed from
being a dictator in the name of justice)
Daredevil (probably the closest comparable)
The Punisher

Wonder Woman - Thor (mythological might)
She-Hulk
Storm (close personalities)
Valkyrie
Thundra
Captain Marvel
Thor Girl/Tarene

But now that Neil Gaiman's Angela is at Marvel, and seeing how she's Thor' s half sister and seems close to matching his might & fighting prowess - maybe she's the one, going forward.

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 24th, 2015 07:26 PM
Q99

Angela may be 'warrior grr Wonder Woman,' while Carol is more 'hopeful inspiring hero Wonder Woman.'

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 09:36 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

Originally posted by Scoobless
I suppose it really has to be Power Princess

Which- Squadron Supereme or Supreme Power?

Thanks for the sig Scot-and for the help with my avatar
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 09:55 AM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

Re: hello

Originally posted by kenobi
I always thought that Valkyrie SHOULD be Marvels version of Wonder WOman, but she is never written well.

Bingo

When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 09:56 AM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

Originally posted by Madvillain
Thena of the Eternals.

She's barely seen

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 09:57 AM