KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 99 100 [101] 102 103 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

My problem with the hybrid is that I have rarely seen a device that can do both reasonable well.

And I cannot see parents buying this if the child has a tablet or phone.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2017 08:14 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

PS4 patch adds a "boost" mode for PS4Pro that improves gameplay performance for games that don't have a pro patch yet. As well as external HD support for the PS4.

Awesome patch for the PS4!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 06:42 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'm still waiting for my PS4 to get fixed

started having problems downloading patche & games.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 06:49 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Get a ps4pro imo. stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 09:00 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Get a ps4pro imo. stick out tongue

no point

i don't own a tv that does 4K.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 09:08 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

The pro is also more suited for the PSVR (and omg on the awesome immersion you get for games like RE7) and the more recent update allows for improved framerate performance in resource hungry games for games without a Pro graphics upgrade.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 09:24 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Well i'm not really a graphics whore when it comes to games, Going all ooooh ah over something.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 12:16 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by Kazenji
Well i'm not really a graphics whore when it comes to games, Going all ooooh ah over something.

Framerate isn't about making things just look nice, it's more about making movement look smooth and making sure the immersion isn't broken by choppy graphics.

The VR experience in RE7 is also about immersion as you get 10x the immersion on RE7 in VR as you do in normal mode.

Anyway, was just joking about the upgrade thing. ;p unless you got a lot of extra cash laying around, buying 2 PS4's and a VR headset might not be the most efficient way go spend one's cash.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 05:13 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by Smasandian
My problem with the hybrid is that I have rarely seen a device that can do both reasonable well.

And I cannot see parents buying this if the child has a tablet or phone.
Yeah, this thing with Nintendo shooting itself in the foot is getting old.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Feb 4th, 2017 07:56 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Framerate isn't about making things just look nice, it's more about making movement look smooth and making sure the immersion isn't broken by choppy graphics.

The VR experience in RE7 is also about immersion as you get 10x the immersion on RE7 in VR as you do in normal mode.

Anyway, was just joking about the upgrade thing. ;p unless you got a lot of extra cash laying around, buying 2 PS4's and a VR headset might not be the most efficient way go spend one's cash.

I don't really give a shit about VR at this point

but i'm glad you're enjoying it.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2017 01:46 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Project Scorpio specs revealed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...o-tech-revealed

The most interesting thing is how he mentions how the hardware was dictated by software. I'm guessing this would mean most pre-Scorpio games would be easy to "port" for the more powerful console.

I wonder if the device has an SSD in it.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2017 01:54 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

So been a while since anyone posted in this thread.

I'm now in the unique position (for me) of owning a version of every console that is currently relevant (no Wii U).

Got a PS4 at launch.

Got a Switch several months ago shortly after it launched.

And got a Xbox One S for Christmas mostly to use as a 4k blu ray player to go along with my new 4k TV.

Also just today I traded in my launch PS4 for the PS4 Pro.

Anyways. I'm really impressed with the Xbox One S. For the price of $200 it's an absolute steal. It's a very attractive looking console and it feels very generous given it's ability to stream 4k content and play 4k blu ray. Honestly this is the console that MS should have launched back in 2013, if they had this generation would look much different.

That said, Xbox is really suffering in the exclusives department this gen. Which is weird. X360 had some outstanding exclusives. Gears of War was a great new IP and of course things like Halo were still hugely popular. It's really the only reason I opted to get a PS4 Pro over an Xbox One X, the PS4 exclusives are just so much better and more plentiful this gen that being able to play those in (almost) 4k mattered more than the more power that the One X offers.

Speaking of the 4k consoles. It's interesting how they've esentially flipped from where they were at launch as far as the power comparison goes. Xbox One X is an absolute beast and now the PS4 Pro is the one lagging behind in comparison. Games still look very good on it compared to the standard PS4, especially if you're on a 4k TV. I wonder how Sony will respond, they're in kind of a weird position now as the PS4 is still selling extremely well so that may make them want to delay the release of the PS5 more than they otherwise would, even though they'd probably stand to benefit from releasing it sooner than later so that they can say "look we've got the most powerful console now".

Also I hope the trend of mid gen upgrades doesn't stick around. Hopefully it just happened this time because 4k TV's started to become relevant right in the middle of a console generation, which hasn't really happened before. We'll see, but if it's a new trend then I don't like it.

Then of course there's the Switch, which is an outstanding console. Nintendo has obviously smashed it out of the park with the Switch and I'm so glad they're being rewarded like they are for it. It's such a great idea and the functionality is perfect on that little thing. It works exactly as advertised and they've really gone all out making a good library for it quickly. Having a new Mario and Zelda game come out the same year is pretty unprecedented as far as I know, plus things like Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2. Really like that console.

Honestly aside from the potentially worrisome development of mid generation consoles, now's a great time to get a new console if you haven't. They're all really good options right now and I feel like you can't really go wrong with any of them. They all fill their own little niche very well and offer something all the others don't.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 08:11 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by BackFire
They're all really good options right now and I feel like you can't really go wrong with any of them. They all fill their own little niche very well and offer something all the others don't.

Cosigned. Unlike other generations that had clearcut losers you now have more of a nuanced choice of a console depending in what you want to play in a specific timeframe.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 08:19 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'm still using my PS4 Slim, Not really bothered about getting a PS4 Pro just for some extra's pixels.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 08:32 AM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by Bentley
Cosigned. Unlike other generations that had clearcut losers you now have more of a nuanced choice of a console depending in what you want to play in a specific timeframe.
This has been Xbox's worst gen though.

I'm amazed at how this generation went from being the most lackluster so far to the top 3 as of now.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 08:38 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I will say the Xbox One X console itself is a the best I have seen in a very long time. It's powerful as hell, basically silent, has 4k player, backward compatible with 360/original Xbox and small. It's heavy but that's understandable.

I have been using it as my main console for the last few months and not blip from it. I haven't touched my PS4 in probably 6 months because the Xbox One X kills it with the third party games.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 01:33 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
This has been Xbox's worst gen though.

I'm amazed at how this generation went from being the most lackluster so far to the top 3 as of now.

Maybe I'll check it out in my 60's.

Not because I can't afford it, I just look at my backlog and have trouble justifying an excuse to pile up even more games I'll never finish..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 02:26 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by Smasandian
I will say the Xbox One X console itself is a the best I have seen in a very long time. It's powerful as hell, basically silent, has 4k player, backward compatible with 360/original Xbox and small. It's heavy but that's understandable.

I have been using it as my main console for the last few months and not blip from it. I haven't touched my PS4 in probably 6 months because the Xbox One X kills it with the third party games.

I came very close to getting the Xbox One X. It's a really nice console.

I'm really impressed with how MS has turned it around this gen. While they're not going to be able to really compete with Sony this gen because they got off to such a bad start, they've made pretty much all the right decisions over the last few years. If they can just get their exclusives situation handled then they'll be in great shape for next gen.

That is if there's a next gen for them. One of the most interesting things to come out of this gen is that there seems to be a bit of a split between Sony and MS as to whether or not they will support console generations at all. Mark Cerny for Sony has said that they do believe in generations and will continue doing them as normal, but MS has said that they don't. So we may just see more iterations of the Xbox One from MS from now on. Where as Sony will release a PS5 and PS6 and so on.

I think there's definitely an argument to be made in favor of MS' stance, but I can't help but think they'll just find themselves missing the boat with the hype game. Announcing a new generation console always generates a ton of hype. So when Sony announces a PS5 in a few years, what will MS do? Announce an Xbox One Z? The aesthetics of the situation will be in Sony's favor and so will most of the hype. Plus it'll be interesting to see how MS would handle game releases. When would they stop releasing games that are compatible with older weaker Xbox Ones?

Anyways, just started rambling. But yeah Xbox One is very solid now.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 09:18 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

They are just missing games that are exclusive (even though as gamers, we should abhor exclusive games.) I guess the question is if people want another generation of consoles. If the PS5 comes out without backwards compatibility then I think it would be a big mistake.

I think what's best for gamers is the Xbox model from now on. Have two different SKU's and let people decided on what they want. You got an S and was happy, I bought an X and was happy but at least there is a choice.

I suspect MS will release an updated version of the console in 3 years and it will probably work the same way PC games do. From a console perspective, it's radically different but it's just borrowing from how the tablet, phone and PC work with software releases.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 10:15 PM
BackFire

Agreed, a PS5 with no backwards compatibility with at least the PS4 would be really bad. I have trouble imagining them doing that, though, but then again I wouldn't have guessed MS would come out of the gate as badly as they did with the initial ideas for Xbox One so who knows.

I too think MS will release another revision that is more powerful in 2 or 3 years. It does make sense, but you know, the fanfare for a "new" gen console is something to consider. A new revision of the Xbox One wouldn't really have that.

And really both Sony and MS are offering the same choice. With MS it's the S or the X, with Sony it's the Slim or the Pro. I guess it just depends on if there really needs to be a refresh or not. This gen it made some sense for both of them to do that to take advantage of 4k started to get adopted in the middle of the console gen. That won't always be the case, though.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 11:20 PM