KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Flash

The Flash
Started by: juggernaut74

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (109): « First ... « 83 84 [85] 86 87 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

No, but the plot point of the episode was certainly better than I thought.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 11:33 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

So someone working on the show likes My Hero Academia.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 12:10 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Amunet Black looks utterly ridiculous lol.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2018 01:49 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Amunet Black looks utterly ridiculous lol.

Agreed, but I'm not sure what the answer is. Low budget, so they can't go nuts. The closer they get to the comics, the more ridiculous it's likely to be in a live-action show. And if they depart from the comics for something reasonable, they're blasted for ignoring source material. I legit feel for the producers who are trying to make believable characters with some leather scraps and a D-list special effects budget.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2018 05:36 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

CW vfx are weird. You get full-CG characters, like King Shark, who actually look really good, all things considered. But then you get instances where fairly basic costumes get made to look like cheap cosplay.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 03:44 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
CW vfx are weird. You get full-CG characters, like King Shark, who actually look really good, all things considered. But then you get instances where fairly basic costumes get made to look like cheap cosplay.

"All things considered" is right. King Shark could have been a lot worse, I agree, but I still laughed about as hard as I can when he first appeared onscreen. It still doesn't quite fit, and the occasional full-CG transitions to powered moments can be jarring.

But I'm forgiving of that stuff. Flash remains a step ahead of its CW peers for its willingness to fully embrace the comic book goofiness, of which King Shark is a perfect example. I also think they have the best core cast, though that's obviously a bit subjective. If they would ditch the teenage rom-com style drama and write some deeper arcs, it would be a legitimately excellent show.

To that point, Tom Cavanaugh (Harry/Wells/Thawn/etc.) talks with fans fairly frequently and they love picking his brain on the show. He loves it but isn't afraid to admit its limitations, and he's squelched more than a handful of fan theories - even when he himself isn't certain of what the answers are - with the admission that many are too complicated or nuanced to be feasible, given the level of writing on the show.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 21st, 2018 at 07:51 PM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 07:47 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Digi
"All things considered" is right. King Shark could have been a lot worse, I agree, but I still laughed about as hard as I can when he first appeared onscreen. It still doesn't quite fit, and the occasional full-CG transitions to powered moments can be jarring.

But I'm forgiving of that stuff. Flash remains a step ahead of its CW peers for its willingness to fully embrace the comic book goofiness, of which King Shark is a perfect example. I also think they have the best core cast, though that's obviously a bit subjective. If they would ditch the teenage rom-com style drama and write some deeper arcs, it would be a legitimately excellent show.

To that point, Tom Cavanaugh (Harry/Wells/Thawn/etc.) talks with fans fairly frequently and they love picking his brain on the show. He loves it but isn't afraid to admit its limitations, and he's squelched more than a handful of fan theories - even when he himself isn't certain of what the answers are - with the admission that many are too complicated or nuanced to be feasible, given the level of writing on the show.

Yeah, the writing on this show doesn't exactly lend itself to really deep plot lines. Or when they try to, it gets bogged down by all the other typical angsty drama they like to throw in. Which is a pity, because I actually think that Grant Gustin makes a really good Barry Allen (way better than Ezra Miller at least).

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2018 02:02 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

So was that Jay and Silent Bob or what?

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2018 04:52 PM
juggernaut74 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Seems like it. Kevin Smith directed the episode as well.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2018 05:32 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Ralph... Saw that coming but still hated it. DeVoe is an OP unlikable villain for me.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 06:14 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Little late here, but Enter Flashtime was a very emotional episode. I know we focus on the feat (which, yes, was absurd even by comic standards, let alone TV/movie standards, which tend to be a lot lower). Best episode in a while imo.

Legit interested how they'll beat DeVoe, and what his plan is. Maybe it's that I'm tired of other speedsters being the big bad of the season.

Yeah, the writing on this show doesn't exactly lend itself to really deep plot lines. Or when they try to, it gets bogged down by all the other typical angsty drama they like to throw in. Which is a pity, because I actually think that Grant Gustin makes a really good Barry Allen (way better than Ezra Miller at least).

Yeah, Ezra's not bad, but Gustin embodies the role really well, and I think is underrated in terms of being true to the comic Barry.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2018 06:07 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Lol, Flashtime is so broken. They have to invent reasons why it won't work from now until forever, or just have Barry conveniently forget to use it. Not that I mind; it's part of the Flash as a character. But it will be a recurring sore spot for those who focus on feats and power portrayals.

The opening scene with DeVoe's power display was pretty cool.

I'm probably done with Flash on a weekly basis after this season - at best, I'll watch crossovers and season launches/finales - and done with the CW-verse in general outside those same crossovers/events/finales. But this has been a good season to go out on.

Old Post May 17th, 2018 03:52 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I liked the DeVoe bit as well. It made for a very entertaining scene, visually. Problem I have with him now though is kind of similar to the Flashtime thing. They've made DeVoe damn near unstoppable at this point. So, who wants to bet that he is going to suffer from a big ole' pile of PIS in order to lose in the finale?

Old Post May 17th, 2018 04:18 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I liked the DeVoe bit as well. It made for a very entertaining scene, visually. Problem I have with him now though is kind of similar to the Flashtime thing. They've made DeVoe damn near unstoppable at this point. So, who wants to bet that he is going to suffer from a big ole' pile of PIS in order to lose in the finale?

Slightly disagree. The season-ending villains SHOULD be a bit OP. Because they only have to come up with one great plan to overcome them. With the protagonist, it's more of an issue because they constantly have to write around the broken mechanics.

I'm not saying PIS won't be involved. It likely will be. But hopefully we get a great battle sequence and a believable victory over DeVoe.

Old Post May 17th, 2018 08:46 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

At this point would say this season has been okay for me. Not terrible/disappointing or great, just okay.

Old Post May 18th, 2018 04:24 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Digi
Slightly disagree. The season-ending villains SHOULD be a bit OP. Because they only have to come up with one great plan to overcome them. With the protagonist, it's more of an issue because they constantly have to write around the broken mechanics.

I'm not saying PIS won't be involved. It likely will be. But hopefully we get a great battle sequence and a believable victory over DeVoe.

I'm fine with a bit OP. But DeVoe is extremely OP, IMO, to the point where even someone like the Flash shouldn't be able to defeat him. Hazard's luck ability alone should ensure that any plan doesn't go quite right, after it's likely been predicted in anyways by his Limitless-style intellect, and that's assuming he doesn't just kill everyone with brain aneurysms or crush them to death with gravity. And that's just addressing four out of his grab bag of overall abilities.

The sheer fact that he has allowed characters like Barry and Cisco to keep their abilities, even after acquiring Melting Point's, is already some serious PIS. Even if he doesn't specifically need those powers for the Enlightenment, there is no reason not to take them in anyways. Become more powerful, and ensure that two potential threats are taken out at the same time.

I really want to stay optimistic, but CW finales have been a serious mixed bag in recent times. I mean the S3 Flash finale wasn't great IMO.

Old Post May 18th, 2018 04:53 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Calling it now, Cecile is going to "become" DeVoe via tp. It's too big a Chekovs Gun not to use.

Old Post May 19th, 2018 06:48 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

While it didn’t quite go down the way mentioned above, was a decent finale, and was glad to see a certain someone back. Even with the obligatory cliffhanger though, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: of Barry’s daughter from the future, none of these finales feel as overall impactful as they used to, as kinda mentioned before.

Old Post May 23rd, 2018 03:13 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Not a bad finale. I saw the thing with [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the daughter coming for a while now. Especially after comments she made during one of her previous encounters with some members of Team Flash. The bit with the satellite was pretty cool though, and it's really nice to have Ralph back.

Still a few PIS moments that made me shake my head though, like [SPOILER - highlight to read]: why bother with that whole mind fight when Barry could literally have just steamrolled through all of them like he ended up doing in the end in anyways? And DeVoe resurrects himself as a hologram only to die like a chump again a minute later lol. The chair has blasters and crap but hey, just wait for her to slowly walk up behind the chair and pull out the power source. There is more, but those were two pretty big ones.

Old Post May 23rd, 2018 06:16 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I'm fine with PIS. This is superhero television with an OP protagonist. You either reconcile to it, or watch in frustration forever. They got around [SPOILER - highlight to read]: DeVoe being OP, at least, since they never actually had to straight-up beat him with all his powers. I also thought it was cool that he chose those specific bus metas so that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: he could combat any potential help Barry could bring in, like Kara or the Legends. Kind of a confirmation that DeVoe is probably the most powerful single entity we've seen in the CW-verse.

Also, Tom Cavanagh is a treasure.

I'm done watching this show regularly. It's been fun, though, and this was a good season to go out on. I'll circle back for crossovers and finales, but probably only for Flash and maybe Legends at this point.

Old Post May 23rd, 2018 03:39 PM