KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Intelligent design

Intelligent design
Started by: Van Hohenheim

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
Not really.
Go on.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 10:16 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Random pet peeve: If a day ever came where intelligent design was proven, skeptics would still be pricks to the faithful, claiming they're still idiots because they didn't actually know.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2016 01:40 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Van Hohenheim

The many-worlds interpretation isn't part of string theory.

The main argument for the multiverse—without getting too technical—relates to the Calabi-Yau space through which the extra dimensions in m-theory are conjectured to be compactified. The problem with the moduli spaces of the Calabi-Yau space are solved with the superpotentials generated by two flux vacua leaving holes that correspond to a number different vacuums each of which is supposed to be a universe.

Once again, it's a very specific—and I'd argue: wishful—interpretation of a solution to a problem in a model that does not allow for predictions.

I was joking about ST giving scientist a bad name, just to be clear.

It does seem very ambitious and it's doubtful it is 100% accurate, but even Democritus with his very limited knowledge managed to get a mediocre solution for the problem of the constitution of the universe in realm of many diverse and countless models.
So even if the proposition is inadequate it might help in the future.

Originally posted by Robtard
I did actually, here it is again: "In the end I ultimately don't know, it's just what I choose to believe as it makes more sense to me."

I'm not an ID proponent in the sense of the actual ID theory, though I don't think we can call ID a theory.

Fair enough.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 12:08 AM
Van Hohenheim is currently offline Click here to Send Van Hohenheim a Private Message Find more posts by Van Hohenheim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Van Hohenheim

Originally posted by cdtm
Random pet peeve: If a day ever came where intelligent design was proven, skeptics would still be pricks to the faithful, claiming they're still idiots because they didn't actually know.

You do the skeptic little justice: the skeptic wouldn't claim that they would be skeptic of the the evidence.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2016 12:12 AM
Van Hohenheim is currently offline Click here to Send Van Hohenheim a Private Message Find more posts by Van Hohenheim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Btw, does everyone here know that 'Intelligent Design' was original invented to claim aliens made life on Earth, and it was later repurposed by creationists?

Originally posted by Van Hohenheim
Does anybody care to show me how this argument looks like? Any Christian's here?

I'll comment the wide majority of Christians don't believe in intelligent design. It's much more common to believe that God caused evolution.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2016 05:57 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Well, if Alliens created Earth, then Christians would believe they did so by God's will thumb up

Originally posted by Q99
It's much more common to believe that God caused evolution.

Like with everything.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 15th, 2016 06:18 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Van Hohenheim

Originally posted by Q99
Btw, does everyone here know that 'Intelligent Design' was original invented to claim aliens made life on Earth, and it was later repurposed by creationists?

I'll comment the wide majority of Christians don't believe in intelligent design. It's much more common to believe that God caused evolution.

Intelligent design has been around for centuries, but it wasn't named ID necessarily.

Yes, I suppose the Christian position is evolving with new scientific evidence and information.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2016 04:46 AM
Q99

Originally posted by Van Hohenheim
Intelligent design has been around for centuries, but it wasn't named ID necessarily.

The modern version of the argument, that specifically says that humans couldn't have come from nature because we're too complex (and which older creationism wouldn't have thought to say because us being evolved didn't seem on the table), as well as the term, and most importantly trying to pseudo-science it up in scientific language as a 'competing theory' with evolution, were set down by William A. Dembski who named the intelligent designer as a 'god or alien life force'.

Also for some irony, a number of Creationist groups are against it for not being properly biblical- it does, after all, tried to hide that t's an argument for god in non-religious term.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 12:04 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well yes I was just about to talk about that, I have no problem with the idea of intelligent design for humanity. Just looking at the stuff we can do with genetic manipulation..a race vastly more advanced? Could surely of engineered us. Or modified us. But with technology, not via magic powers.

That is a lot harder to swallow then "guy who exists outside of time and space did it".

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 04:30 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

One of my favorite themes in scifi is reinterpreting natural phenomena as works of/intervention by alien superintelligence. Eg, the 2001: space odyssey Monolith; Cygnus x-1 in Contact (the book, not the film); and my favorite, from Baxter's Ring novel: the Great Attractor.

I had written a short story some years back where the accelerating expansion of the universe was due to alien superintelligence.

I'm just fascinated by the theme.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 07:02 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

About 10 years ago a department at the University of Chicago basically announced that they thought that the human brain's evolution was the result of a "special event". Some later refer to it as the "big brain bang".

http://www.hhmi.org/news/human-brai...s-special-event

Old Post Feb 19th, 2016 07:56 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Van Hohenheim

Basically the belief of Intelligent design stems from people thinking life is too complex to have developed on it's own. So you attribute it to whatever thing you want.

I have a deep infatuation for(let's say) dinosaurs, I propose dinosaurs are intelligent, so intelligent they faked their own death and created life as an experiment.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2016 07:22 AM
Q99

Originally posted by Surtur
About 10 years ago a department at the University of Chicago basically announced that they thought that the human brain's evolution was the result of a "special event". Some later refer to it as the "big brain bang".

http://www.hhmi.org/news/human-brai...s-special-event

I do believe the biggest factor in the event they're referring to coincides with the invention of cooking- which allowed us to get more calories from the same amount of food (about 15% more), giving us more energy to work with, requiring less energy put into digestions, which, in turn, made possible a lot more high-energy adaptations related to the brain and similar.

You do sometimes run across keystone changes that make a whole lot of future changes more possible because the species is in effect running with extra power.

Like imagine if everyone just suddenly switched to a fuel that was 20% more efficient. You'd see a lot of changes from car makers that'd continue to happen for years as people found new ways to take advantage of the extra power. Different engines, some more efficient, some higher power. Things becoming lighter (doesn't have to carry as much gas for the same performance) or heavier (can carry more stuff including gas) become possible, etc..

Neanderthal can be considered 'sports utility humans,' that while popular for a time, ultimate got phased out in favor of lighter humans with better gas millage.

Originally posted by Surtur
Well yes I was just about to talk about that, I have no problem with the idea of intelligent design for humanity. Just looking at the stuff we can do with genetic manipulation..a race vastly more advanced? Could surely of engineered us. Or modified us. But with technology, not via magic powers.

That is a lot harder to swallow then "guy who exists outside of time and space did it".

It is arguably more plausible, yet at the same time we have a couple 'errors' that I feel makes it unlikely.

For example, we have a small blind spot in our eyes due to where the nerves connect to the cornea.

There's no particular reason for nerves to connect there, and in some animals they connect elsewhere, resulting in no blindspot.

There's a lot of little things that could be tweeked and improved pretty easily, and a genetic engineer would likely notice these types of things in an error check.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2016 08:13 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe they didn't want to make us perfect? After all some say at first it was done to use us as slave labor, so I could see them not going all out. Assuming that is true of course.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2016 10:48 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Mindship
Go on.

Because the multiverse—in general—is not falsifiable. You could argue for a model where the universes in the multiverse are casually independent—i.e. there can be no interaction between universes—and there is literally nothing anyone in the universe could do to prove you wrong.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2016 01:50 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Q99
For example, we have a small blind spot in our eyes due to where the nerves connect to the cornea.

There's no particular reason for nerves to connect there, and in some animals they connect elsewhere, resulting in no blindspot.

There's a lot of little things that could be tweeked and improved pretty easily, and a genetic engineer would likely notice these types of things in an error check.

I just wanted to say this argument does make a bit of sense, but to me it especially then shows there is no benevolent god-like force, since why would God purposely give us a blindspot?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2016 09:58 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean either God isn't perfect or he's a douche and gave us a blindspot on purpose.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2016 10:04 PM