KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2016)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2016)
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
You seriously need to lighten up, Kaz. roll eyes (sarcastic)

erm

go do something better with your time.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2017 08:20 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Kazenji
erm

go do something better with your time.

Like pray to God to give you a sense of humour?

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2017 12:55 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Like pray to God to give you a sense of humour?

laughing out loud

Originally posted by carthage
I liked it and it definitely had a lot of ideas that are worth revisiting. The movie does have issues with dialogue, Dehaan isn't a very good lead male, and some of the Find X object stuff is derivative. But I loved the visuals like when they go down into the Water portion of the planet, Delevigne isn't that bad of an actress, and the aliens/costume are mindblowing. Its nowhere near as good as the Fifth Element was, but its definitely something to check out if you can stand Dehaan's Keanu Reeve's style acting and some weak dialogue

7/10

Cool, that's kind of what I expect.

To me, I love big sci-fi space adventure shit with crazy aliens and worlds, so this is exactly the kind of thing I want to support on the big screen.

I'm making my contribution on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2017 01:19 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Obviously it's only my personal opinion but sometimes fondness & memory clouds the real quality of a film...

Juz saying The 5th Element was fun & cool 20 years ago but watching it again recently...there was a lot of cringeworthy cheesy moments.

I really forgot how annoying & how much Chris Tucker ruined the movie for me.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2017 02:40 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ I popped it in again today and I used to find Chris Tucker annoying too, and I guess I still do. But overall I still think the movie is fun. It's all the little subtle and amusing pieces of humor that I found charming. Like Leeloo's "Multipass" and the guy controlling the reflective light and the man who is almost poisoned at the beginning of the film. It's just fun.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2017 11:46 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

will catch this next month on STARZ

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 02:42 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Can't afford a movie ticket huh??

Poor Bastard...AHAHAHAHA!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 02:43 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Can't afford a movie ticket huh??

Poor Bastard...AHAHAHAHA!

his looks like shit son... this will be on cable prolly in six months

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 02:46 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Oh just admit you are crying on the inside....

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 02:47 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Oh just admit you are crying on the inside....

lol thats you .. lmao...

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 04:28 AM
Flyattractor

Sure, sure... need a tissue?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 04:33 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

On probation are you, Fly?

Someone needs to lock your ass back up. lol

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 06:38 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Sure, sure... need a tissue?

haven;'t you been banned yet??

hahahahahahahahaha

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 08:32 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
his looks like shit son... this will be on cable prolly in six months
Do you even have a TV?

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2017 09:15 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Just got back from this.

Overall I say it should be seen on the big screen to encourage this kind of fun, imaginative space adventure. Because it looks like it's going to need all the support it can get.

The middle third is a bit of a slog to get through, with some derivative bits, but the visuals of the 1st and 3rd acts are spectacular. I think the best way to describe this film is sort of a mixture of Star Wars, Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy, and some weirdness that's all its own. Like I said, the middle third lacks much of a gripping narrative flow, but ultimately I enjoyed it for its weirdness, fun, imagination, and sheer visual spectacle. It'll be a shame to see this flop, but it appears to be happening already. It may do well overseas, but I doubt that'll save it. It's a shame, because it's a rich, diverse and exciting universe to explore. Not sure how they expected it to recover from a $200+ million budget. It looks like it's going to make #5 opening weekend.

sad

I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. That might fluctuate upon other viewings, but I really think it would be fun to watch again, like the Fifth Element.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2017 12:33 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Nice little featurette...

Old Post Jul 24th, 2017 08:35 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Do you even have a TV?

i have two pee brain... both are 100 inch smart tvs..

do you love to troll Adam Grimes?? Shal I ask a Mod to chat with you about that???

anyways will catxh this free of charge on cable in a few months

Old Post Jul 24th, 2017 09:39 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Very whiny -and cheap- post, my old-as-shit friend.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Last edited by Adam Grimes on Jul 24th, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2017 10:34 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Great visuals and the world building was nice.

Characters were just OK though.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2017 10:44 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by playa1258
Characters were just OK though.

I will agree to some extent, but I've seen reviewers complain that the two main character are extremely unlikeable and I disagree with that because I think the point of the two main characters is that they are just normal people with flaws. But at least they have personalities (unlike Rogue One-- in fact they almost reminded me of Han Solo and Leia in the original Star Wars). Valerian is sort of arrogant and full of himself and Lauraline is very tough, but she also shows a vulnerable side when she takes care of that little creature and her little speech [SPOILER - highlight to read]: toward the end about love reveals a lot about her. And at least you have this dynamic between them where he really is trying to win her heart. He's not a total douche-bag, or at least he was in the past, but not anymore. I think their chemistry works well enough. Not spectacular like Guardians of the Galaxy, but considering the wondrous visuals and universe it was fun.

But the film did drag a little in the middle, so it might have benefited from losing 10 minutes or so. And Jesus, the budget was so high, I can't believe it. They should have simplified some of those scenes to save some money. I'll be cheering for Germany and France, etc to really save it, but I don't have much hope, not with a $200 million budget.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2017 11:39 PM