KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Luke Cage (Netflix)

Luke Cage (Netflix)
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

It starts off as a slow burn, but that's on purpose since Luke is quietly determined to mind his own business. Once the setup is complete it does heat up nicely. The action is different from Daredevil, Batman or any other vigilante story since Luke does not bob & weave, leap around, throw or use weapons. He's just a human battering ram who shrugs off whatever he's hit it and keeps coming. Imagine Superman going to ghettos and just busting up drug houses with raw power; it has that kind of feel. It eventually does pay off in laughs by episode 7, where he just has to show up at a gun deal and say "Do I have to say it?" - They all run off. big grin

Still, I did feel the final episode was somewhat unsatisfying. They don't perfectly wrap up the season and put the cherry on top, not like they did so terrifically with the seasons of Daredevil and also Jessica Jones. It ends, but with so many threads that can only be dealt with by a season 2.

Maybe that's what they wanted.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 4th, 2016 03:54 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Have to say this was a proper let down.

I've come to expect high quality from these Marvel Netflix shows, so was pretty shocked at how bad the story was at times. The villains were dumb, the cops were dumb, everything just got so damn dumb at times.

They wanted to go political, so then instead of making the cops so damn dumb, just make them pure racists. Where they know Luke Cage is a good guy, but purposefully spread lies about him, because you know, he's a bullet proof Black guy which is like a racist cop's worst nightmare.

Started off well, and was a good concept, but the story just went off on the silly tangents, and aside from Shades, the villains sucked.

Just not even in the same league as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2016 09:09 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

shaddup, we all be in da hood now, ya know what I'm sayin bruh?

Pretty much what most of the above posts said though, really. Still like Luke Cage's characterization and Diamondback was cool, but the writing and pacing was just painful, more often than not. Give this 1st season a 6/10 or so.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2016 09:55 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

just 6 shows in and this isn't good... diamondback just always talked tough...the fights coulda ben better.. right now 5/10

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 10th, 2016 10:10 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

I thought Luke himself was the most likeable of the Netfilx heroes but he does have the weakest show as of now. Also the Diamondback fight had almost as many cuts as any given ScarJo scene in the MCU.

Though I figured the show would reference Hulk specifically at least once and not as a generalization of super-hero fear.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2016 02:20 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I'm only on episode 9, but I gotta say this show is mediocre at best. It pales in comparison to DD and JJ. It's got a great sense of style, I love the music, and Cottenmouth was great but unfortunately that's all I can really say that is good about it.

The pacing is atrocious, I'm fine with a show being slow but this is ridiculous especially since the plot line is frankly weak. And Diamonback is one of the worst villains I have had the displeasure of watching. Heck, even the fights are boring. I think I'm not even going to bother finishing it as I hear it's all downhill after the, admittedly, fabulous episode 7. A shame really; it had a lot of potential.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 03:25 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Cottonmouth was weak imo.

In any case, hope this isn't a taste of what's to come quality-wise for the next Marvel shows, though Punisher's the only one I care about at the moment.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 08:26 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

It did have great potential. So no idea what went wrong, especially with not only Marvel's but Netflix's great track record.

The plot and the villains were just all over the place. It's like the show kept changing it's mind what it was going to be. And yes Diamondback was atrocious.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 10:05 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Oh geez that final fight between Luke and Diamondback...

Did anyone here actually find that exciting?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 11:59 AM
Mindset

I liked it, dunno what you guys are talking about.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 06:10 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Bit of a sluggish series. I liked it though!

Daredevil is still the best. It's pacing and development is more exciting. I'm sure they can do something like that for Luke Cage.

Am impressed with the (almost) all-black cast and its links to the modern days problems concerning 'Black Lives Matter'. The first Marvel thing that actually links up with modern day.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2016 06:58 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Watched the first episode of this and probably will not continue. Doesn't have the charisma and charm that I grew to love in Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I'm sure it gets better, but Luke Cage just seems too invincible, no vulnerability, and he's obviously not as interesting of an actor. The plot doesn't seem to be setting up to be particularly original or interesting either. It's a shame.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2016 09:08 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, actually harming Luke (and succeeding) is a big part of the series. It's worth watching.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2016 08:04 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Watched the first episode of this and probably will not continue. Doesn't have the charisma and charm that I grew to love in Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I'm sure it gets better, but Luke Cage just seems too invincible, no vulnerability, and he's obviously not as interesting of an actor. The plot doesn't seem to be setting up to be particularly original or interesting either. It's a shame.

I feel you that's why I don't like most superman iterations. that being said Luke Cage is more about the person and the community rather than powers. frankly if you read comics then none of the tv shows will seem particularly original. I kinda liked the throwback feel of the show, the way the drama built up it was interesting to me.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2016 09:58 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

His only weakness is the concussive force generated by a shotgun.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2016 11:43 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
His only weakness is the concussive force generated by a shotgun.

At first, I just thought that was a low-end. But, re-watching Jessica Jones, the vast majority of that series was a low-end for him. In, Luke Cage, there are numerous scenes where he absolutely steamrolls through groups of armed thugs/opponents. And he does so with almost comical ease. During one of the very few fights he actually had in the previous show, some random thug and his handful of unarmed henchman gave Luke serious trouble. Was even staggering him with hits (compared to people breaking their arms etc. on his own show). I think that they hadn't really fleshed out his power levels at that point, hence why his showings were rather suspect.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2016 02:41 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Iron Fist, Punisher, and the reunited Defenders next month as well as a rumored Ghost Rider show, Inhumans, and Daredevil Season 3 (confirmed). I'm stoked

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 18th, 2016 02:36 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

misty knight

Old Post Nov 18th, 2016 03:19 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 10:10 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I'm not sure I'll be along for the ride with season 2 after the first one, honestly.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2016 01:26 AM