KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » GT vs. DBS

GT vs. DBS
Started by: DeadpoolXXX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
They're often pretty poor, actually. I'll check it out when I get home.
That's odd because even herms often defers to their translations when it comes to DB material... And he's obviously quite fluent in Japanese.

Regardless, I don't speak Japanese so I wouldn't know if a word was excluded either way. It's certainly possible I suppose. /shrug

Anyhow, my point is simply that as of the start of DBS, Goku/Vegeta were regarded as significantly > Gohan/Gotenks.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 29th, 2018 at 09:37 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 09:22 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

What are some examples of poor crunchyroll translations in the case of like DBS?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 10:13 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

So I just rewatched the clip, and took a crack at breaking the sentence down. Now, I'm not terribly confident about this; the last bit was really hard to hear because Beerus was mumbling and Vegeta was screaming autistically in the backround. Also, Beerus's way of speaking is different than what I'm used to, so some of the specifics are tricky. That being said, after replaying it several times, this is what I heard:

さしぶりだったよ。1割くらい本気をだした。まあ、北のKaiyoのところにSaiyajinよりな楽しみ--and then I can't hear the last bit of that word. It sounds a little like だけど, but I can't really tell. I don't think it's terribly important?

So if you romanize that, it comes out as, "Sashiburi datta yo... ichiwari kurai honki o dashita--... maa, kita no kaiyo no tokoro ni saiyajin yori na tanoshimi--"

"Sashiburi datta" basically means, "It's been a while." "Ichiwari"--although I'm not familiar with it--means "ten percent" according to Jisho dictionary, and "kurai" means "approximately." "Honki" doesn't really have an english equivalent, but it pertains to "seriousness" and "effort." If you were to translate the english sentence "I gave it my all," the word "honki" could be used. "Dashita" can mean a lot of things, but in this context it seems to have to do with him "revealing," i.e he's "revealed" his strength. "Maa" is kinda like "well," "kita" means north, "no" indicates possesion, "tokoro" means place, "ni" indicates location, and--while I'm not familiar with it--yori can mean "than" according to Jisho dictionary. Like I said before, I can't hear the last half of the last word Beerus says, but it starts with "tanoshimi," which is a variation of "tanoshii" which means "fun." So I can only assume, based on the context, that the latter half of the word is a modifier that transforms the word into something along the lines of, "more fun." So putting it together, I think the literal translation would be: "It's been a while... I showed about ten percent seriousness... Well, it was more fun than that Saiyan at the North Kaio's place."

I think the critical word here is "yori na." If we assume that it means "than," then in this sentence, the "you" is implied, so the object of the "yori" would be the word "saiyajin," which refers to Goku. So it would be, "more fun than Goku." That being said, I can't say for sure since I've never used the word "yori" before now, so this entire exercise has been completely pointless.

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
What are some examples of poor crunchyroll translations in the case of like DBS?

I couldn't say. I mostly notice in other shows, which have corresponding novels and such that I've read, so the mistakes tend to stand out. Even then, it's not like I keep track of these sorts of things, I just notice them as they happen.

In any case, it'd be unrealistic to expect Crunchyroll not to make mistakes. They only have an hour or so between the Japanese broadcasts and their own releases to translate entire episodes.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Dec 29th, 2018 at 10:49 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 10:45 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I can't hear the last bit of that word. It sounds a little like だけど, but I can't really tell. I don't think it's terribly important?

On second thought, I'm pretty sure this is what it was. だけど, romanized as "dakedo," essentially means "but." I initially thought it was supposed to be part of the same word as "tanoshimi," but I don't think so anymore. I think it's just him trailing off, which explains the mumbling. Something along the lines of, "Well, it was more fun than the Saiyain at the North Kaio's place, but..."

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 11:10 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Vegeta did way better than Goku though when he was assumed to be using the same strength. Hell in the anime he even tanked a punch while Goku was getting ****ed up by taps and shit.

Besides the words

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 03:15 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Nothing glaringly inconsistent comes to mind off hand. As mentioned, even fluent Japanese translators like herms and Cipher often defer to their translations where DB material is concerned, so I'm inclined to believe they are on point in most cases.

That being said, I can't say for sure since I've never used the word "yori" before now, so this entire exercise has been completely pointless.
laughing out loud

Fair enough.

Originally posted by One Big Mob
Vegeta did way better than Goku though when he was assumed to be using the same strength. Hell in the anime he even tanked a punch while Goku was getting ****ed up by taps and shit.

Besides the words
In the end Vegeta was still owned with a slight gesture, just like Goku was. So if we assume Beerus was using 10% of his power when he tap-KO'd each of them, then it would make sense for Goku and Vegeta to be roughly on par with one another(with one of them being slightly superior to the other, depending how Sherlockie we want to get with a completely irrelevant point.)

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 29th, 2018 at 06:16 PM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 05:52 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Galan007
In the end Vegeta was still owned with a slight gesture, just like Goku was. So if we assume Beerus was using 10% of his power when he tap-KO'd each of them, then it would make sense for Goku and Vegeta to be roughly on par with one another(with one of them being slightly superior to the other, depending how Sherlockie we want to get with a completely irrelevant point.)

My impression was that Vegeta's rage had already burned out by that point. I don't even think Beerus was necessarily using "10%" of his power when he one-tapped him, only that he had to use that much to counter the Galick Gun.

Also, why assume that Beerus was using "10%" of his power when he fought Goku? He told Vegeta that it had been a long time since he last had to use that much.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 09:02 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Because immediately after making that comment he compared Vegeta to Goku. Implying that he was using roughly the same percentage of power against both.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 10:52 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nothing glaringly inconsistent comes to mind off hand. As mentioned, even fluent Japanese translators like herms and Cipher often defer to their translations where DB material is concerned, so I'm inclined to believe they are on point in most cases.

laughing out loud

Fair enough.

Didn't Roshi or others claim Vegeta surpassed Goku, before he went ssjg?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 11:02 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by cdtm
Didn't Roshi or others claim Vegeta surpassed Goku, before he went ssjg?

Roshi did, but only in the movie version.

That's why we're talking about it.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 11:19 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

In the movie, yes.

The anime and manga weren't nearly as explicit as far as statements go. And again, the crunchyroll translation actually implies that Goku was slightly more powerful.

But as mentioned, this is completely irrelevant to the point I was making, so it's kind of funny that people are fixating on it so much. Whether Goku or Vegeta was more powerful doesn't matter -- BOTH were > Gohan and Gotenks, which is all I was saying.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 29th, 2018 at 11:26 PM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 11:19 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Just wait for the anime retelling of Broly.

Knowing TOEI, they'll re-hire this artist...

(please log in to view the image)

... and retcon everything that was enjoyable about it, as a bonus.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 11:31 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 11:42 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

laughing out loud

Looks amazing, can't wait

Old Post Dec 29th, 2018 11:44 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So the recent V-Jump states that Boohan was "on par" with SSJ3 Goku:
https://i.imgur.com/zJ8rupR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PG5gG1z.jpg

That's...interesting, to say the least.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2019 07:45 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe they meant "current" SSJ3?

No real proof any Buu Saga SSJ3 is equal to Mystic Gohan or Super Buu, let alone Buuhan.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2019 09:00 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It's referring to Goku from the Boo arc.

Regardless, I agree that V-Jump, on its own, cannot outright retcon Toriyama's original works...and his original works outright state that Goku was far inferior to the likes of Super Boo back then... Never mind Boohan.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2019 11:37 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

So the recent V-Jump states that Boohan was "on par" with SSJ3 Goku:
https://i.imgur.com/zJ8rupR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PG5gG1z.jpg

That's...interesting, to say the least.

Wow. Just wow.

Goku was pissing his pants against Buutenks (who was inferior to Buuhan) in the anime... and shouting at Gohan, telling him to find the Potara earring and put it on:

What about Kid Buu/Pure Boo? Does the V-Jump elaborate on his power level?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 06:21 AM
carver9

I've always said in the beginning that Goku was holding back and that Kid Buu was the most powerful Buu. It's just freaking common sense to me. I always found it funny people saying that crack neck Buu (who fought Mystic Gohan) was more powerful than SS3 Goku because of a statement Goku made when he didn't utilize SS3. Funny indeed.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 01:00 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Wow. Just wow.

Goku was pissing his pants against Buutenks (who was inferior to Buuhan) in the anime... and shouting at Gohan, telling him to find the Potara earring and put it on:

What about Kid Buu/Pure Boo? Does the V-Jump elaborate on his power level?
And that's just an anime-only filler scene. Goku never confronted Bootenks in the manga, but he was pissing his pants at the thought of fighting Super Boo:
https://i.imgur.com/psVBvTy.jpg
*And Boohan is around 3x more powerful than Super Boo.

Nothing on Pure Boo, though(other than he absorbed DaiKaoishin, of course.)

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2019 01:06 PM