KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How Do You Rate Snoke?

How Do You Rate Snoke?
Started by: victreebelvictr

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
It's very simple.

Snoke has a hard time walking around due to injures sustained, this is confirmed. So his Guards do his melee fighting for him. So his Guards are needed in that aspect.

Just as Yoda has a hard time walking with a cane due to old age. He did not have to melee fight since his powers were adequate for his defense. At no point did he deploy his guards when she became aggressive. He waved them off.

quote:

Palps can fight both melee and Force combat, this is shown. So he doesn't need his Guards, I'm pretty sure this is also noted somewhere in the current canon as it was before the wipe too. Sure his Guards are functional and can do fighting for him, but they aren't needed.

Ok...so we got that cleared up? Now back to the thread at hand. [/B]
Yes, Sidious can fight in melee and there is no evidence Snoke can but there is none he cannot draw upon the force to amp his physical deficiencies like yoda has.

Sidious felt confident in that situation in dismissing them due to his manipulation and Vader being there in defense of him. We see Vader block a saber strike that would have most likely killed him. So in a situation that was not under his control against overwhelming odds he would deploy his guards just like any other intelligent leader when they believed their life was in jeopardy.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:22 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BestDebaterEver
Head of Debate Club

Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
Who is we? You’re not the OP. why am I even talking to you. If you don’t know anything about Star Wars then go read up.

I gave you an answer, I’m not obligated to even acknowledge your newb ass.
We is you and I. Presumably you are talking to me because it benefits you in some way. I agree, if I didn't know anything about Star Wars I would do well to read up on it if I plan to continue posting on an esteemed Star Wars debating forum such as KMC.

You are not obligated to acknowledge my posterior, no. Was there anything else you needed help clarifying?
Originally posted by ares834
Sheev’s guard were obviously superfluous. Anyone who was actually a threat to Sidious in combat would be capable of defeating the guards with utter ease as shown, ironically enough, in Quan’s gif.
Finally, an argument worth listening to. I find myself agreeing with "ares834" on this matter.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:24 PM
Click here to Send BestDebaterEver a Private Message Find more posts by BestDebaterEver Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Depends on the amount and skill of the guards.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:31 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by BestDebaterEver
Let's back up a moment. I originally said (to someone other than yourself) "Proof Palpatine's guards were just to "feign weakness"?" - you began responding to me from this point on. I said your response didn't answer my question. I answered your question, no, we have not seen Sidious employ his guards. You did not answer my question, despite engaging me in rhetoric.

How do we "know" Sheev doesn't need them? Doesn't need them for what exactly, and what is your evidence? He clearly needs them for something, unless he simply has them as extremely expensive, well trained sentient decorations. That Snoke's guards might be better does not mean he needs them any more than Sidious needs his own guards. That's like saying Snoke "needs" better military assets, ships, technology, soldiers and so on. It's less a matter of "need" and more a matter of "well, a better army is more preferable than to have a worse army", and in the same way, it is more preferable to have better guards than it is to have worse guards.

So like our other fine man said, the guards may simply compliment Snoke rather than only compensating for him. It is preferable to have guards than to have no guards at all.
I didn't ask the question to substantiate his point, I asked the question because I was wondering if Sheev ever threw them at his enemies instead of engaging himself. Your point seemed the most relevant to that topic.
I don't think he's feigning weakness (unless we go into his powers being a secret topic), but I don't think he needs them for personal protection. Them existing isn't a reflection on Sheev's personal power, or an inability on his part. Snoke would have more use for them in that aspect.

Because we've seen Sheev directly engage in solo threats without Guards against beings that would decimate his Guards. Even in the gif Quan posted, Yoda defeated Sheev's guards with a wrist flick while Sheev fought evenly or close against Yoda in close quarters combat and with the Force.
And he doesn't need them to protect him, obviously, that's what I mean. Anyone who actually presents a threat to Sheev would obliterate the Guard, but that doesn't mean he has to deal with every threat personally. We have seen them try and filter out people like Doctor Aphra and they are uber trained. In that sense they are essentially bouncers. I'm not sure if Disney has turned them into Assassins yet, but that is a possible use as well.

Very possible, I never said otherwise. However you can't deny that Snoke's Guards are better equipped to protect him than Sheev's are. In terms of combat, Snoke's Guards are created to shell up a potential weakness of his, whereas Sheev's are useless (in comparison) as he has no weaknesses in a certain area. So when you bring up the Guard angle, it's more relevant to Snoke than Sheev and you can't simply red herring the attention away from Snoke by mentioning Sheev, is all.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:32 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Originally posted by One Big Mob
I didn't ask the question to substantiate his point, I asked the question because I was wondering if Sheev ever threw them at his enemies instead of engaging himself. Your point seemed the most relevant to that topic.
I don't think he's feigning weakness (unless we go into his powers being a secret topic), but I don't think he needs them for personal protection. Them existing isn't a reflection on Sheev's personal power, or an inability on his part. Snoke would have more use for them in that aspect.

Because we've seen Sheev directly engage in solo threats without Guards against beings that would decimate his Guards. Even in the gif Quan posted, Yoda defeated Sheev's guards with a wrist flick while Sheev fought evenly or close against Yoda in close quarters combat and with the Force.
And he doesn't need them to protect him, obviously, that's what I mean. Anyone who actually presents a threat to Sheev would obliterate the Guard, but that doesn't mean he has to deal with every threat personally. We have seen them try and filter out people like Doctor Aphra and they are uber trained. In that sense they are essentially bouncers. I'm not sure if Disney has turned them into Assassins yet, but that is a possible use as well.

Very possible, I never said otherwise. However you can't deny that Snoke's Guards are better equipped to protect him than Sheev's are. In terms of combat, Snoke's Guards are created to shell up a potential weakness of his, whereas Sheev's are useless (in comparison) as he has no weaknesses in a certain area. So when you bring up the Guard angle, it's more relevant to Snoke than Sheev and you can't simply red herring the attention away from Snoke by mentioning Sheev, is all.
I believe that Stupendous Wave stated that Sid’s guards were for a royal or formal appearance.

As said, this is from SW so I’m not sure it’s true.

They may be for ceremonial reasons as well.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:41 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

SW farts on wieners.

He may be right but he's also not proof of anything. He's an authority on not sourcing your claims.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:51 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Originally posted by One Big Mob
SW farts on wieners.

He may be right but he's also not proof of anything. He's an authority on not sourcing your claims.
Yeah, he doesn’t claim where h found it, but it may be out there and we just haven’t found it.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:52 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

I don’t rely on him as a source, but he is like the Wookieepedia on YouTube, so he isn’t much to determine on. I’m still looking for the exact quote.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:54 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

I swear there's a quote out there basically saying the same thing, but I don't have it, so I'm not going to say it 100 percent exists.

Gaylad might have it though. If he doesn't have it, then I dunno.
Things would be so much easier if SW content was as easy to find as comics. It's easier to read through 100 comics to find two words than to find dl links for random books. But that's the pirate life for me, and may be the reason I never jumped head first into this Star Wars fad.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 09:56 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don’t think the ones Yoda ***** slapped were the same as the later royal guards who went though intense training.

Last edited by DarthPlaguis12 on Oct 18th, 2018 at 10:20 PM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 10:16 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
I don’t think the ones Yoda ***** slapped were the same as the later royal guards who went though intense training.

It doesn't matter. Also we don't have anything on their training in Canon, other than out of the millions of troops that they were the most skilled. Trained in various forms of combat.

But it's freaking Yoda, so....either way he wouldn't have any issues.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2018 11:25 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Eh, are people really trying to pretend like Palpatine...f*cking Palpatine...'needed' the Royal Guards to do his melee fighting for him, like Snoke did? Jesus christ.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 12:02 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Sidious could match Yoda in dueling Skills, so no, he didn’t need them.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 12:12 AM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
Eh, are people really trying to pretend like Palpatine...f*cking Palpatine...'needed' the Royal Guards to do his melee fighting for him, like Snoke did? Jesus christ.

Lol

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 02:18 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by quanchi112
Just as Yoda has a hard time walking with a cane due to old age.

No Dummy, its more like Vader who needs his mechanical suit to fight.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 02:39 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Darth Thor
No Dummy, its more like Vader who needs his mechanical suit to fight.
Vader needs his suit to live, lol. I gave my opinion so just accept it. It will not change but I will not argue Snoke uses a saber in a versus until I see evidence. I am extremely consistent.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 02:44 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by BestDebaterEver
You want an exact number? How do you suppose I dig up such data?

Sidious seemed to easily deal with Maul and and his brother Savage without a lightsaber. Him using a lightsaber at all was beneficial to the brothers and a detriment to his own chances of success, because he came within striking distance of them, something he would not have to do if he just made telekinetic playthings of them.

Is it a stretch? Sidious never seemed to need his lightsaber to keep Dooku in check when he was choking him from across the galaxy.

I wasn't questioning how great Snoke's TK demonstrations have been. I am questioning the idea that he "cannot fight for himself."

Pretty easy because there’s hardly any wh can do that.

Yes I already stated Sidious/Yoda can do that to Maul level opponents.

We already know he cant get into physical confrontations. This whole debate is how powerful can he be with TK and FL alone. Even assuming his TK and FL were Sidious level (highly improbable but lets speculate for a second), even then we know that without being able to engage in High Level Lightsaber combat Windu would whoop his butt. Vader almost certainly would. And I suggest Dooku would as well.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 02:49 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by quanchi112
Vader needs his suit to live, lol.

And to engage in Saber combat Dummy!

There is Zero comparison to Yoda here. Absolute Zero.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 02:51 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Darth Thor
And to engage in Saber combat Dummy!

There is Zero comparison to Yoda here. Absolute Zero.
Of course since he cannot fight if he is dead. Must I really hold your hand? Both physically are old and cannot demonstrate normal gait on their own. You are free to disagree but yoda looks like a hobbies old hunchbag when he does not use the force. My opinion will not change and my reasoning is sound. Feel free to disagree but you thought Rey was going to own Snoke so it is safe to see you are out of touch with Disney Star Wars.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 02:54 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

No flaming Quan...remember

Also Yoda could use the force to boost his physical abilities and fight, he was one of the best swordsman. He’s old not crippled

I don’t think Snoke can fight at all, and guess what...in the films which you say are the superior canon he can’t and doesn’t fight.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2018 06:22 PM