KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Omnipotence vs. Omniscience

Omnipotence vs. Omniscience
Started by: LordGod

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LordGod
The One

Omnipotence vs. Omniscience

In a forum fight, what would be more useful?

A character with true omnipotence (absent omniscience) or a character with true omniscience, but no other powers?

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 02:49 PM
LordGod is currently offline Click here to Send LordGod a Private Message Find more posts by LordGod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

If you're truly omnipotent, you can give yourself omniscience.

But if you're just omniscient you can be.....impotent.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 02:52 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

"I know the exact second my opponent's fist will smash into my nose!!"

VS

"I turn my opponent into a swarm of soap bubbles."

Hmm. Tough.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 02:53 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

"I know all the ways I will lose to my opponent and there's nothing I can do about it. Swell. "

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 02:54 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Phil
If you're truly omnipotent, you can give yourself omniscience.
Or remove it from your opponent. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 03:43 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

yeah that's a weird question. omniscience is just one part of omnipotence...

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 04:57 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

what about impotence?

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 05:18 PM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Going by the Doctrine of Divine Simplicity omnipotence and omniscience is the same thing, just as any other absolute attribute.

The argument is based on the premise that God is the greatest being conceivable, and since aseity is better than a dependent existence, God is a se. So God's existence is independent of everything which means that God isn't a composite of parts (since a composite of parts depend on its parts to be what it is), that is to say God is simple. In other words God's existence and essence, essence and attribute, and attribute and attribute are all the same thing.

This is pretty cool because it implies that the attributes associated with God (omnipotence, omniscience, etc.) are facets of the same indivisible concept.

Last edited by Astner on Jun 4th, 2021 at 07:43 PM

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 07:39 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HumbleServant

Originally posted by Astner
Going by the Doctrine of Divine Simplicity omnipotence and omniscience is the same thing, just as any other absolute attribute.

The argument is based on the premise that God is the greatest being conceivable, and since aseity is better than a dependent existence, God is a se. So God's existence is independent of everything which means that God isn't a composite of parts (since a composite of parts depend on its parts to be what it is), that is to say God is simple. In other words God's existence and essence, essence and attribute, and attribute and attribute are all the same thing.

This is pretty cool because it implies that the attributes associated with God (omnipotence, omniscience, etc.) are facets of the same indivisible concept.
Good post

Old Post Jun 4th, 2021 07:43 PM
HumbleServant is currently offline Click here to Send HumbleServant a Private Message Find more posts by HumbleServant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ambient
MAJIN_OVERLORD

I’ll take omnipotent it’s more of a physical form than the metaphysical and your always hard 🤙

My Artwork

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 02:33 PM
Ambient is currently offline Click here to Send Ambient a Private Message Find more posts by Ambient Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

God can transform so that your argument of simplicity is wrong. Jesus transforms after the resurrection.
I’d choose omniscience. I’d be able to evoke any action.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 03:13 PM
Wonder Man is online now! Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

With Omnipotence, you’re all powerful. That means you can give yourself omniscience, or take it away like a few posters claimed already.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 03:19 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

God said ‘ I am the first and the last.’ That means that one is throughout. So that taking away wouldn’t win.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 03:28 PM
Wonder Man is online now! Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

I mean that there are ways to counter things.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 03:42 PM
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Energy that increases forever ♾ could form a unclassified stop on the ball that rolls back down the hill for instance if you use that example.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 03:47 PM
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

So you can see how knowing any solution can improve the battle. Then you can outdo the power.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 03:54 PM
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Of course the power throughout would become something infinitely greater and the battle can rage on.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 03:57 PM
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Originally posted by MrMind
what about impotence?

What about it, you have a problem???? Huh do you???

Oh you weren't talking about me......

Move along nothing to see here

Old Post Jun 7th, 2021 01:42 PM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by MrMind
what about impotence?

Asking the real questions here thumb up

Old Post Jun 7th, 2021 01:45 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Omnimpotent

Old Post Jun 7th, 2021 04:59 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote