KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » One Piece

One Piece
Started by: missbloom19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (186): « First ... « 137 138 [139] 140 141 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Well Sanji becoming worse didn't really bother me since it was an admittedly funny gag(to me anyway).

But him valuing seeing Shirahoshi over seeing All Blue was awful.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 02:40 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

OP treats women far better than Naruto or Bleach though.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 02:46 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

No it doesn't.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 02:47 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

It does actually.

Everyone should really just go along with what I say. I am smarter than all of you combined.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 02:49 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Noooot really.

It's easily the worst of the big 3 in the area.

Bleach has boob jokes, but the female characters are presented with plenty of agency and power. Though Orihime being a wallflower once she was kidnapped and not really having anything to do with the resolution, and in general too many female characters being kidnapped, but still, there's multiple female characters with better records than Renji and Chad.

Naruto, you have Sakura caught in 'can't keep up,' and slide from a main character to a secondary (still doing some stuff like identifying the infiltrators and beating NejiZetsu, and saving multiple other character's lives with healing, so not all bad), but on the flip side you have multiple females in the high tier, Tsunade doing very good even when compared to her fellow Kage, Ino who's recently leveled up enough to pull off some major day-saving not once but thrice, Temari who's never lost a fight, Kushina who was instrumental in passing on power to Naruto, Hinata who despite being low-level is show as strong of will and actively driving Naruto forward, and none of the consistently problematic stuff.

One Piece... for a long while it was ok (though there was some stuff like 'every powerful group has one, and only one female member,' and the rather skeezy 'Nami gets molested in the shower' scene), but the attitude towards women has gotten bad. Suddenly Zoro can't attack women either, Sanji's previous chivelric attitude have been flanderized, Taishigi cries on the battlefield and should really be a mom, there's a country full of beautiful women who 'stab men who break their hearts'. What the heck Oda?

It hasn't affected Robin or Nico yet, but I'm worried.

Last edited by Q99 on Mar 7th, 2013 at 03:47 AM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 03:43 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

One Piece does have Boa who was able to take out several Pascifistas pre-skip where it took the entire Straw Hawt Crew just to beat one.

But yeah One Piece is the worst in terms of women treatment: that and the fact that mostly every female in One Piece has the same face or body.

Um...Nico and Robin?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 03:52 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Q99

I think you mean Nami. O:

Mind you Vivi is also pretty good. But all of the girls have the same giant breasts. Unless they're ugly of course.

Makes me love Rukia all the more for not seeming to care at all cause comfortable in her own skin. :3

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 04:13 AM
Q99

Not saying it doesn't have some good female characters too, just mentioning the issues ^^

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 04:15 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Q99
Noooot really.

It's easily the worst of the big 3 in the area.

No.

quote:
Bleach has boob jokes, but the female characters are presented with plenty of agency and power. Though Orihime being a wallflower once she was kidnapped and not really having anything to do with the resolution, and in general too many female characters being kidnapped, but still, there's multiple female characters with better records than Renji and Chad.

Aura actually successfully convinced me via Skype that Bleach is, from a feminist standpoint, the best of the three. thumb up

quote:
Naruto, you have Sakura caught in 'can't keep up,' and slide from a main character to a secondary (still doing some stuff like identifying the infiltrators and beating NejiZetsu, and saving multiple other character's lives with healing, so not all bad),

You forgot to mention the epic moment where she decides to give up and leave the fighting to the guys.

No seriously, One Piece doesn't have a single example nearly that bad. What's worse than Chickification? REchickification.

quote:
but on the flip side you have multiple females in the high tier, Tsunade doing very good even when compared to her fellow Kage, Ino who's recently leveled up enough to pull off some major day-saving not once but thrice, Temari who's never lost a fight, Kushina who was instrumental in passing on power to Naruto, Hinata who despite being low-level is show as strong of will and actively driving Naruto forward, and none of the consistently problematic stuff.

You forgot to mention the crux of Tsunade's motivations coming down to three male characters, he grandfather, her dead fiancé, and her little brother.

Ino is doing okay as of late sure.

Temari was beaten by Shikamaru. This lie needs to stop persisting. The only reason Temari proceeded through the tournament was because he lacked the stamina to continue, and decided to throw in the towel.

Kushina, hmmm... Well, I could bring up that she hasn't really shown any unique motivations or dialogue that didn't relate to her son or husband, but I could possibly let that slide because she had so little screentime.

Hinata's entire character revolves around a guy, lol.

quote:
One Piece... for a long while it was ok (though there was some stuff like 'every powerful group has one, and only one female member,'

I wasn't aware that Robin was a guy.

The Yonkou have two men, a woman, and one probable monster, so the ratio isn't too bad there.

Baroque Works had an equal amount of strong men and women by design.

But sure, OP does adhere to the Smurfette Principal often.

And... Naruto doesn't?

One female Genin to any team that matters. One female Jounin sensei. One female Chunin Exam Proctor. One female in the Sound Five. One female in Akatsuki. One female Hawk.

quote:
and the rather skeezy 'Nami gets molested in the shower' scene),

Kind of reminds me of the scene where Rangiku rapes Orihime in the bath.

Or the blatant Hinata fanservice in the sauna, but that one didn't involve girl on girl action so hey.

quote:
but the attitude towards women has gotten bad. Suddenly Zoro can't attack women either,

Zoro doesn't like to cut women, if he can avoid it, but he will use blunt force on them. When was the last time he tried to harm a woman with his sword? Think back. He beat Ms. Monday with a facepalm.

quote:
Sanji's previous chivelric attitude have been flanderized,

I'm not sure how Sanji's character decay detracts from the manga's portrayal of women but h'okay.

quote:
Taishigi cries on the battlefield and should really be a mom,

Tashigi is weak. This is true.

Monet, from the most recent arc, was also capable of beating a physically and martially superior opponent (Luffy) through nothing but wits.

quote:
there's a country full of beautiful women who 'stab men who break their hearts'. What the heck Oda?

I'm not sure how to counter this point because I'm not sure that it is really a detriment towards its portrayal of women.

So Dressrosa has a weird**** culture. So has every island.

quote:

It's a knee-jerk reaction based on the most recent arc. Calm down.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 04:49 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka But yeah One Piece is the worst in terms of women treatment: that and the fact that mostly every female in One Piece has the same face or body. [/B]

You're not counting the downright ugly ones, like the girl that joined BlackBeard.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 05:34 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

^^ I did say most big grin

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 05:48 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote:
And... Naruto doesn't?

One female Genin to any team that matters. One female Jounin sensei. One female Chunin Exam Proctor. One female in the Sound Five. One female in Akatsuki. One female Hawk.

One female to any team generally... but the teams are only 4.

quote:
No seriously, One Piece doesn't have a single example nearly that bad. What's worse than Chickification? REchickification.

Taishigi's worse. Sakura's 'chickification' still leaves her crushing giant centepedes and evil copies of her friends and saving lives. Taishigi's is being told she's too weak to be on the battlefield and that she should go home and be a mom. And Sakura only decided to leave Sasuke to Naruto, not everything.

One female Supernova out of 11 (who is, in fact, the first and only one beaten, which happens almost immediately resulting in her capture). One female shichibukai out of 7. One female level 6 prisoner. One female vice admiral out of however many we've been shown.

Two female Kage out of five. Four known female jincuuriki (two of the latest generation).

The Strawhat crew is the only exception on the OP side, and the female characters get the fewest amount of fights- Nico gets almost no solo fights (I think she's still only had one, back in Skypeia), and neither have gotten a battle post-timeskip.

quote:

Temari was beaten by Shikamaru. This lie needs to stop persisting. The only reason Temari proceeded through the tournament was because he lacked the stamina to continue, and decided to throw in the towel.

Yea, someone losing because they're out of juice is still losing.

And she easily killed someone who was beating him later. One Piece doesn't have female characters beating foes who beat male characters like that.

And One Piece has zero examples of female characters beating a major foe like Chiyo/Sakura did Sasori (the *first* Akatsuki kill that happened).

quote:

Kind of reminds me of the scene where Rangiku rapes Orihime in the bath.

Or the blatant Hinata fanservice in the sauna, but that one didn't involve girl on girl action so hey.

-_-;;

An invisible villain molesting a female character in the shower is much worse than just a fanservice incident.

quote:

I'm not sure how to counter this point because I'm not sure that it is really a detriment towards its portrayal of women.

So Dressrosa has a weird**** culture. So has every island.

Because it's a female-focused issue that paints them in a bad light in a wake of problems with female characters?

quote:

It's a knee-jerk reaction based on the most recent arc.

No, you're simply wrong. It's an issue that's been growing. It was never great in the area, but it's gotten worse.

Last edited by Q99 on Mar 7th, 2013 at 02:31 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 02:27 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Tashiga was re-introduced as cutting a canonball in half. She isn't 100% fail all the time.

Personally I think OP is okay when it comes to women. Kuina from Zoro's backstory was a pretty cool character I thought and her thing was all about being a female swordsman. Nami and Robin are also really great characters, theres tons of strong female characters and fighters, there are female marines etc etc. The only bad elements are the titillation aspects, the fanservicey female designs and a few moments of lady-fail. But Bleach does color spreads of the girls dolled up looking sexy and there's a ton fanservice in all 3 comics.

IMO there are good and bad aspects to all 3 manga. But Magi whoops all their asses when it comes to lady characters anyway, so stfu.

Last edited by Nephthys on Mar 7th, 2013 at 03:05 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 03:02 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I dunno, I guess I obsessed over this and made a list:

Bleach.

Good: Tatsuki , Tatsuki punching Ichigo right in his stupid stoic face, Yoruichi and Soi-Fon (though Soi-Fon has been punked quite a bit), Rukia (sometimes >_< ), early Orihime.

Bad: Late Orihime >:[, Yoruichi hurting her hand punching Yammy, all the stupid ****ing damsel in distress storylines, Rangiku's boobs, Harribel, Chad being a main character instead of Tatsuki when Tatsuki is infinitely more awesome.

Also I can't decide if Nel is good or bad. On the one hand her thing is directly talking about misogyny and thats good, but on the other hand she is cheap-shotted by Nnoitra twice and reduced to another damsel needing to rescued.

Naruto.

Good: Sakura early-timeskip, Sakura in the Chunin-arc is alright, Hinata (sometimes), Temari, Tsunade being strong and being Hokage, Mei I guess, Chiyo.

Bad: Tsunade looking young and hot because of fanservice, SAKURA, Hinata (sometimes), Ino post-timeskip, Karin.

One Piece:

Good: Nami, Robin, ViVi, Hancock, Big Mom, Kuina, Dr. Kureha, Shishihoshi, Shishihoshi's mum, the Baroque's Works girls, Kalifa, Nami's mum, Monet (other than when she was beat so easily).

Bad: Tashigi, Sadi, Bonney being beaten.

Last edited by Nephthys on Mar 7th, 2013 at 03:48 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 03:40 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Otohime sh_t stomps the rest of OP as far as awesome female characters go. She's the only one that was actually more awesome than her peers. Best merfolk/fishman character in the story.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 04:07 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by Q99
And she easily killed someone who was beating him later. One Piece doesn't have female characters beating foes who beat male characters like that.

Well Nami beat Kalifa who beat Sanji. But that's because he wouldn't hit a girl lol.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 05:53 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by AuraAngel
Well Nami beat Kalifa who beat Sanji. But that's because he wouldn't hit a girl lol.

Boa also punked Pacifistas and Smoker. Smoker is weaksauce though.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 06:12 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Well Boa also promised to kill Smoker and well didn't lol.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 06:20 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Smoker gets his _ss saved by the plot every once in a while. He's been consistently punked for a while now.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 06:44 PM
Q99

Originally posted by AuraAngel

Have we actually met a female character who's either the strongest or among the strongest of her group? Besides Otohime, as Bentley mentioned.

Among the Strawhats, Robin is mid-tier, Nami's in the weakling trio. Kalifa was the weakest full CP9 agents. Boa's mid-tier shichibukai. Bonney was the weakest supernova. Most female characters get more support-type powers (soap suds, de-aging, etc.).

Boa's really pulling the heavy weight among female characters- she's not only strong but a front-line fighter type too.

I'll again mention that pre-timeskip the series was doing fine, with problematic bits fewer and farer between.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2013 08:07 PM