KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman: Man of Steel

Superman: Man of Steel
Started by: SupezM'

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (111): « First ... « 106 107 [108] 109 110 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Redwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
Superman killing Zod is justified within the context of the film. There was no Justice League, no kryptonite, no depowerment, no Phantom Zone - nothing that could have stopped him, and Superman was the only force that could stand against him. That was made quite clear, and the decision to kill Zod was forced on Superman, who really had no other way.

But, like I've already said, this shouldn't have happened on the part of the writers. "How can we put Superman in a situation where he must kill?" misses the idea of the character completely.

I know Superman is a fantasy character. Yet it's not realistic to have a character who fights the villians he does not to be put in a situation where he may have to kill them. There comes a time when an enemy can only be stopped by killing them.

If that never occurs Superman becomes more distant and unrealistic to us....(again I know I'm talking about a flying man who shoots fire out of his eyes.) big grin

I think it's ridiculous to portray Superman as always having a way without killing. Killing should be the last resort but not off the table completely. Just look at the real heroes out there fighting the bad guys. Sometimes they have to kill the bad guys. I don't see them as any less of a hero.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2013 02:21 PM
Redwolf is currently offline Click here to Send Redwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Redwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Redwolf
Just look at the real heroes out there fighting the bad guys. Sometimes they have to kill the bad guys. I don't see them as any less of a hero.

I do. Because 9/10 times there's no need for it at all.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2013 04:31 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

I know Superman is a fantasy character. Yet it's not realistic to have a character who fights the villians he does not to be put in a situation where he may have to kill them. There comes a time when an enemy can only be stopped by killing them.

If that never occurs Superman becomes more distant and unrealistic to us....(again I know I'm talking about a flying man who shoots fire out of his eyes.) big grin

I think it's ridiculous to portray Superman as always having a way without killing. Killing should be the last resort but not off the table completely. Just look at the real heroes out there fighting the bad guys. Sometimes they have to kill the bad guys. I don't see them as any less of a hero.

Depends on the circumstances. Killing is not something to take lightly.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 12th, 2013 02:22 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

And Supes didn't take it lightly. At first I was upset that he killed Zod, but his reaction immediately after was perfect.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2013 10:53 AM
stickman618 is currently offline Click here to Send stickman618 a Private Message Find more posts by stickman618 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by stickman618
And Supes didn't take it lightly. At first I was upset that he killed Zod, but his reaction immediately after was perfect.

What specifically was perfect in his reaction, may I ask?

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 06:18 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

You could tell that he really didn't want to do it, but he had no choice. You can see that he was filled with regret.

Hopefully they focus on this a bit more in the sequel.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 09:53 AM
stickman618 is currently offline Click here to Send stickman618 a Private Message Find more posts by stickman618 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

I found it strange that he felt he had to kill Zod at that moment rather than before when Zod threatened the entire Earth or when they were destroying buildings without regard for whoever was in them if I recall the film correctly.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 09:23 PM
stickman618

I think Supes was still trying to overpower and subdue Zod before he "awakened". After that, shit got real.

And yeah, I never really liked how Supes never tried to take the battle away from the city.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 10:14 PM
Based
iPinoy

Sorry guys but for all the bashing about the too much action, people really ignored everything but the action..

This is a new take on Superman. It's a new version of the Kents. Pa Kent is not Uncle Ben. He's not teaching Clark heroic values, rather he's more interested in keeping Clark safe in order for a better future. He'll be something the human race looks up to. That does not translate into saving each and every person. When Clark tried, he was reprimanded..

Clark is not fighting to save every person he sees unlike previous incarnations. He's fighting to fight for humanity, not to save it.

Whether people like it is obviously subject to opinion but people are viewing the movie as if it were pre-Crisis Superman. He's not. He's different in a myriad of subtle ways.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 10:31 PM
Based is currently offline Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

I think it was Angry Joe who said it's best to look at this as an "Else-worlds" title instead of comparing every little thing to past incarnations.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 10:36 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Based
Sorry guys but for all the bashing about the too much action, people really ignored everything but the action..

IKR? The complaints of some of the past Superman movies (like Returns) was that there wasn't enough action (fight scenes and such). Now they're complaining that there's too much with MoS? Make up your minds people.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2013 12:51 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by stickman618
I think it was Angry Joe who said it's best to look at this as an "Else-worlds" title instead of comparing every little thing to past incarnations.

Yeah. That's the right idea.
I guess we should view this as a whole new Superman.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 14th, 2013 01:46 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

It is a whole new Superman.

SMH.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 14th, 2013 03:05 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
IKR? The complaints of some of the past Superman movies (like Returns) was that there wasn't enough action (fight scenes and such). Now they're complaining that there's too much with MoS? Make up your minds people.

It's hard to make people happy.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2013 09:28 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
It's hard to make people happy.

More like its impossible to please everyone, especially fan bases.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Aug 15th, 2013 06:25 AM
Based
iPinoy

Originally posted by Vensai
More like its impossible to please everyone, especially fan bases.

Nah, it happens. Marvel got away with mediocre films like Captain America or the Hulk and a straight up bad one in IM2 and no one bats an eye.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2013 07:43 AM
Based is currently offline Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brockalizer
A midget among dwarves.

The problem is that part of what makes Superman Superman is his restrait, desire not to kill, and his ability to find ways to take down powerful adversaries without killing them.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2013 06:01 PM
Brockalizer is currently offline Click here to Send Brockalizer a Private Message Find more posts by Brockalizer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Based
iPinoy

Maybe the film directors don't want to rely on PIS to save every life possible. Damned if you do...

Old Post Aug 15th, 2013 08:20 PM
Brockalizer
A midget among dwarves.

Originally posted by Based
Maybe the film directors don't want to rely on PIS to save every life possible. Damned if you do...
Honestly, I think that DC/WB tried to emulate that Marvel formula i.e completly embracing the fantasy element and running with it, when they made Green Lantern. Unfortunately, that movie failed to deliver the box office reciepts that were anticipated. Consequently, they were under so much pressure to produce a block buster on par with the Avengers, and start their own movie-verse that rather than risk failure again by running with the fantasy element as they did in Green Lantern, they tried to play it safe with the more realistic aproach that made Batman so profitable.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2013 05:50 AM
Brockalizer is currently offline Click here to Send Brockalizer a Private Message Find more posts by Brockalizer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Wow Ben Affleck has been confirmed as the new Batman for man of steel 2. oh god..

just, oh god, lol.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2013 03:31 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote