KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Eye Beams Vs Hand Beams

Beam me up
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Eye-beams 45 60.81%
Hand-beams 29 39.19%
Total: 74 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eye Beams Vs Hand Beams
Started by: Scoobless

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Utrigita

magnetos daugther, what a father is law wink

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 09:37 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

Im going with the hands. I can shoot in 2 different dsirections that way. With the eyes, they are pretty much gonna be the same direction parallel to each other. That kinda sucks.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 09:39 PM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

The Vision is probably the weirdest in-law Magneto will ever have. What can you say when your daughter dates a robot?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 09:41 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Utrigita

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
The Vision is probably the weirdest in-law Magneto will ever have. What can you say when your daughter dates a robot?

"I must have been a bad father my daughter is dating a Robot that can defeat the entire avengers" wink

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 09:49 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Eye Beams Vs Hand Beams

All else being equal: eyebeams. Advantages...

1. Faster and easier to look at something than point your hand.
2. More accurate. If you're looking at it, you're on target (and while you might be able to shoot in two different directions with your hands, you can still only look in one direction at a time to aim).
3. Less conspicuous, harder to anticipate.
4. Glowing eyes (should one choose this option) do look cooler than glowing fists because "the eyes are the window to the soul," thus suggesting powerful energies emanating from the very core of one's being.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Mar 10th, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 09:57 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Soljer
You can't just glance? I mean, if you're gonna aim with your hands, you're gonna have to look in the general direction anyways.

I'd say, assuming the power is the same, that eye beams would be better. Mostly due to accuracy, and stealth.

This raises a really interesting point

do the beams fire straight out from the eye sockets (ala superman and cyclops) or from the pupil of the eye itself?

Most often, humans do not turn their head the whole way to look at things, they just move their eyes. So, if the beams do fire straight out of the face, you would still have to take time to properly target something with your head as opposed to just looking at it out of the corner of your eye. It would still be quicker than your hand, but the range of things you can directly face is much smaller than the range of things you can see.

lol, and if the beams are generated by the pupils, then it would be almost impossible to hit something. Saccidic movement refers to very small and quick movements your eyes make every second, averaging like 6-7 a second. They are unconscious and uncontrollable smile Eyebeams like this would be more like shotguns than precision instruments.

but wow am i a nerd

anyways, hand beams for multi directional blasts

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:00 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Versatility could possibly go to HB's though , you could melt objects at a touch , reinforce your punches and possibly do the whole 'Punch the ground energy shockwave' shtick.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:02 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by inamilist
This raises a really interesting point

do the beams fire straight out from the eye sockets (ala superman and cyclops) or from the pupil of the eye itself?

Most often, humans do not turn their head the whole way to look at things, they just move their eyes. So, if the beams do fire straight out of the face, you would still have to take time to properly target something with your head as opposed to just looking at it out of the corner of your eye. It would still be quicker than your hand, but the range of things you can directly face is much smaller than the range of things you can see.

lol, and if the beams are generated by the pupils, then it would be almost impossible to hit something. Saccidic movement refers to very small and quick movements your eyes make every second, averaging like 6-7 a second. They are unconscious and uncontrollable smile Eyebeams like this would be more like shotguns than precision instruments.

but wow am i a nerd

anyways, hand beams for multi directional blasts

Wow talk about over analyzing stick out tongue

Based on how EyeBeams work in comics none of that should be a problem.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:05 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Another interesting point/question: what does the world look like to someone who's shooting energy out of his/her eyes?

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:06 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Mindship
Another interesting point/question: what does the world look like to someone who's shooting energy out of his/her eyes?

I assume it depends on the color of the EyeBeam . . .

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:06 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Wow talk about over analyzing stick out tongue

Based on how EyeBeams work in comics none of that should be a problem.

LOL

ya, i do try really hard sometimes smile

The first part should actually be a problem (ie, you would loose some ability to target things with eye beams due to head movement being more restricted then hand movement) but ya, the seccade stuff is just me blowing smoke out of the bum

Honestly, it seems like a really even balance between speed and versatility on the eye vs hand thing

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:10 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

LOL

ya, i do try really hard sometimes smile

The first part should actually be a problem (ie, you would loose some ability to target things with eye beams due to head movement being more restricted then hand movement) but ya, the seccade stuff is just me blowing smoke out of the bum

Honestly, it seems like a really even balance between speed and versatility on the eye vs hand thing

Well its hard to target at anything you can't see (unless you have some additional supersensory power or decades of MA experience). Also you could just turn your whole body to face an opponent.

I think that EyeBeams have the additional advantage of also making it so that if someone ties of you hands you can still blast them.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:13 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Well its hard to target at anything you can't see (unless you have some additional supersensory power or decades of MA experience). Also you could just turn your whole body to face an opponent.

I think that EyeBeams have the additional advantage of also making it so that if someone ties of you hands you can still blast them.

...But then you can't blast off your bonds. Wheras if you had handblasts you'd be incapable of having your wrists tied.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:15 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Saccidic movement refers to very small and quick movements your eyes make every second, averaging like 6-7 a second.

Eyebeam energy discharge temporarily stifles the saccades, thanks to evolution. Those superorganisms in which eyebeam firing did not stifle the saccades (making target-strike less likely) were less likely to survive and have offspring.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:18 PM
tsilamini

hehe

its not that you can't see them, its that there is a big difference between "looking" at something and "aiming" your head at something. Honestly, the majority of the time when you are looking at something, your head is not directly facing it.

Very true on the last part, though hand beams could theoretically get out of being bound unless it is a special alloy metal or whatever, but then the same could be said for blindfolds of the like smile

I can see advantage to both of them, I just prefer the advantages of handbeams. The speed and accuracy advantages, once accustomed to the power, are going to be almost negligible and the multi directional shooting is something I'd really like.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:22 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by Mindship
Eyebeam energy discharge temporarily stifles the saccades, thanks to evolution. Those superorganisms in which eyebeam firing did not stifle the saccades (making target-strike less likely) were less likely to survive and have offspring.

*bows*

i am not worthy

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:22 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Handbeams, hands down.

*cough*

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:23 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

*bows*

i am not worthy

I only stand on the shoulders of those before me.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:30 PM
Rhinoceros
PM me for nudes ;)

Handbeams. Imagine if your powers malfunctioned and you burnt off your eyes!. And I wouldn't like any side effects either. Brain cancer isn't what I'd wish for. Neither would I like a "hand" cancer stick out tongue

"Don't you know who I am? He must not know who I am! I'm The Ju.. Eh, Rhino! B*tch!"

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 10:53 PM
Rhinoceros is currently offline Click here to Send Rhinoceros a Private Message Find more posts by Rhinoceros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I pick to have eyes on my hands, and shoot beams from there

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 10th, 2007 11:09 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote