KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Third Riddick Movie

Third Riddick Movie
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (22): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Someone had posted a synopsis early last year in here and it implied the next Riddick film would be a prequel (ie before planet/people Furyan was destroyed), hence my fvcking question. "Is it still planned on being a prequel?"

Okay, fair enough. I had never heard that, though. Don't think that was ever a part of the official plan, and I've followed this series for quite a while. Perhaps the sequels would include some back story/prequel type material. Maybe that's the confusion. I don't remember. The original plan, though, was Chronicles (1), visit the Underverse (2), and then return to Furya (3).

Probably because Chronicles was a shitty action movie and Riddick went from being some bad-ass killer to hero of the galaxy. An R rating wouldn't have helped Chronicles all that much, some more blood and gore can't help a flawed story and writing.

Well, as you may recall in Pitch Black, he went from bad-ass killer to hero of Imam and Jack. So they didn't really change anything, just beefed it up a bit. And in my opinion they beefed it up with some interesting themes... faith vs. religion, ethnocentrism vs. worldcentrism (universe-centrism, heh).. that kind of thing. I find that stuff interesting. But they did turn it into a bit more of an esoteric sci-fi mythology, and I can see how that might turn some people off. Some of that can feel a little goofy (like with the Elementals). But I can look past that. It's like Star Wars for grown ups, I f**kin' love it. No Ewaks 'n shit.. lol.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2011 09:18 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by quanchi112
I'd like to see a spin off the Chronicles of Lord Marshal.

That would probably consist of him jerkin' himself off for 2 straight hours... haha. laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 8th, 2011 09:20 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Okay, fair enough. I had never heard that, though. Don't think that was ever a part of the official plan, and I've followed this series for quite a while. Perhaps the sequels would include some back story/prequel type material. Maybe that's the confusion. I don't remember. The original plan, though, was Chronicles (1), visit the Underverse (2), and then return to Furya (3).

Well, as you may recall in Pitch Black, he went from bad-ass killer to hero of Imam and Jack. So they didn't really change anything, just beefed it up a bit. And in my opinion they beefed it up with some interesting themes... faith vs. religion, ethnocentrism vs. worldcentrism (universe-centrism, heh).. that kind of thing. I find that stuff interesting. But they did turn it into a bit more of an esoteric sci-fi mythology, and I can see how that might turn some people off. Some of that can feel a little goofy (like with the Elementals). But I can look past that. It's like Star Wars for grown ups, I f**kin' love it. No Ewaks 'n shit.. lol.

Link is in the 1-2 page, iirc.

Pretty sure it was implied he saved them to further his own ends. It wasn't until Chronicles that we get the hero-Riddick who is selfless.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 9th, 2011 12:15 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Someone had posted a synopsis early last year in here and it implied the next Riddick film would be a prequel (ie before planet/people Furyan was destroyed), hence my fvcking question. "Is it still planned on being a prequel?"

Probably because Chronicles was a shitty action movie and Riddick went from being some bad-ass killer to hero of the galaxy. An R rating wouldn't have helped Chronicles all that much, some more blood and gore can't help a flawed story and writing.

Like OR hate Chronicles...what everyone has to understand is that Pitch Black was only ever meant to be a B-grade, small budget sci-fi thriller. Diesel wasn't even marketed as the star of the movie.

It was a one-off movie that was made with no sequels in mind.
Having said that, it was a fan base for the character of Riddick & Vin's growing popularity as an action actor that made way for Chronicles.

I personally enjoyed Chronicles without having to compare it to Pitch Black. The Furyans, the Underverse, faith, religion, fantasy all rolled into one sci fi movie.

It was a pleasant change to see a sci-fi flick with dark gothic undertones compared to the pretty sparkly lights of Star Trek.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2011 06:20 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I disagree, Pitch Black while low-budget in comparison, was a solid Sci-Fi. Simple story, good monsters and a few good characters.

I don't think Chronicles brought anything really new to us; that's fine, if the movie had been good.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2011 04:08 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I think I see now where you might have thought it was a prequel. The synopsis says, "Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead..." or something like that. But I'm pretty sure it's referring to the Necromongers as his kind. Not the Furyans. Because he killed their leader and become one of them (so to speak).

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Like OR hate Chronicles...what everyone has to understand is that Pitch Black was only ever meant to be a B-grade, small budget sci-fi thriller. Diesel wasn't even marketed as the star of the movie.

It was a one-off movie that was made with no sequels in mind.
Having said that, it was a fan base for the character of Riddick & Vin's growing popularity as an action actor that made way for Chronicles

That's true, Twohy himself has said something like that. People asked if he had sequels in mind during the filming of Pitch Black and he said he was just trying to get through an incredibly tough shoot and sequels weren't on his mind. Buuuuut... I still think he must have had some ideas a brewin' from the beginning about where this character might go. He's a writer, and I'm sure he's always looking ahead.

I dunno, though. That's really just speculation on my part. *shrug*

Old Post Sep 9th, 2011 06:21 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I think I see now where you might have thought it was a prequel. The synopsis says, "Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead..." or something like that. But I'm pretty sure it's referring to the Necromongers as his kind. Not the Furyans. Because he killed their leader and become one of them (so to speak).

This is what lead me to conclude a prequel was in the works:"before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction."

That's implies it's a prequel as The Lord Marshal had already obliterated Furya and the Furyans (except for Riddick and his blond boy-toy) in order to stop the prophecy that a Furyan would end him.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2011 06:36 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Ah, I do indeed see the confusion now. In fact, you've managed to confuse ME a little. heh. But I think that's just saying he's finally returning to his home planet for the first time. Meaning the Necromongers have left him for dead on a planet, then he has to go to his home planet to save it." Because if it was a prequel, Riddick wouldn't "[become] more powerful and dangerous than ever before." And well, unless they are deceiving us all, I do know for a fact that it picks up (more or less) where Chronicles left off.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2011 07:28 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Ah, I do indeed see the confusion now. In fact, you've managed to confuse ME a little. heh. But I think that's just saying he's finally returning to his home planet for the first time. Meaning the Necromongers have left him for dead on a planet, then he has to go to his home planet to save it." Because if it was a prequel, Riddick wouldn't "[become] more powerful and dangerous than ever before." And well, unless they are deceiving us all, I do know for a fact that it picks up (more or less) where Chronicles left off.

"To save it from destruction" implies it's sometime before Chronicles of Riddick, as The Lord Marshal had already conquered the Furya/Furyans in order to do away with the prophecy.

Don't see how if it's after Chronicles, how he can go save an already dead planet. But it seems the idea for a prequel has been scrapped.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 9th, 2011 at 09:33 PM

Old Post Sep 9th, 2011 09:19 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I disagree, Pitch Black while low-budget in comparison, was a solid Sci-Fi. Simple story, good monsters and a few good characters.

I don't think Chronicles brought anything really new to us; that's fine, if the movie had been good.

I never said anything was wrong with Pitch Black, regardless of its low budget. It's simplicity is what makes it enjoyable.

What EXACTLY didn't you like about Chronicles?
I read alot of peeps hating it but never saying WHY...

Old Post Sep 10th, 2011 08:55 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

I didn't care for pitch black at all yet I enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 04:32 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I didn't care for pitch black at all yet I enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick.
no expression

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 05:42 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Did'nt mind Pitch Black, but i enjoyed Chronicles a bit more.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 08:55 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Don't see how if it's after Chronicles, how he can go save an already dead planet.

Well, we don't really know HOW dead the planet is. I don't think it was totally obliterated. I don't think the Lord Marshal destroyed the planet back THEN the same way he did in Chronicles. It looks like he just went in killing hand-to-hand... strangling infants by their birth cords. I'm thinking he was mainly concerned about the prophecy at that time, mainly killing the infants. That wouldn't totally destroy the planet. There are still living Furyans; maybe some have gone back to attempt to repopulate and rebuild... we'll see...

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 02:36 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Mindset
no expression
The funny thing is Pitch Black wasn't even really about Riddick he just stole the show. The effects were sub par, the plot was sub par, I just never saw what the hub bub was all about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion sure but I think the second film is far more enjoyable than the first low budget flick.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 04:32 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

And the games are ace, prequel's to Pitch Black.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 06:41 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

The funny thing is Pitch Black wasn't even really about Riddick he just stole the show. The effects were sub par, the plot was sub par, I just never saw what the hub bub was all about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion sure but I think the second film is far more enjoyable than the first low budget flick.
The plot and the acting were better in Pitch Black.

Chronicles was cheesy, but I still liked it.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 12:26 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Mindset
The plot and the acting were better in Pitch Black.

Chronicles was cheesy, but I still liked it.
I thought the acting was worse in Pitch Black but to me there wasn't really anything entertaining about the first one considering I never thought Riddick was that cool to begin with.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 02:33 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I never said anything was wrong with Pitch Black, regardless of its low budget. It's simplicity is what makes it enjoyable.

What EXACTLY didn't you like about Chronicles?
I read alot of peeps hating it but never saying WHY...

Wasn't implying you though PB was shit.

That is was everything PB wasn't. I didn't care for the expanded story, the villains, the love interest, the villains turned savior of the galaxy etc. I much preferred Riddick as the guy out for himself.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 04:55 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Well, we don't really know HOW dead the planet is. I don't think it was totally obliterated. I don't think the Lord Marshal destroyed the planet back THEN the same way he did in Chronicles. It looks like he just went in killing hand-to-hand... strangling infants by their birth cords. I'm thinking he was mainly concerned about the prophecy at that time, mainly killing the infants. That wouldn't totally destroy the planet. There are still living Furyans; maybe some have gone back to attempt to repopulate and rebuild... we'll see...

I'd have to watch Chronicles again (I won't), but iirc, it was stated that the Lord Marshal had wiped out the Furyan race as a means to do away with the prophecy of his death

That was the point why the Lord Marshal shit his pants when the necro-computer named him as a Furyan and why he wanted him dead (or possibly converted) so bad.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 04:58 PM