KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Third Riddick Movie

Third Riddick Movie
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (22): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Wasn't implying you though PB was shit.

That is was everything PB wasn't. I didn't care for the expanded story, the villains, the love interest, the villains turned savior of the galaxy etc. I much preferred Riddick as the guy out for himself.
thumb up

Although, he showed some compassion for when that one annoying ***** died, but still.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 13th, 2011 12:58 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Mindset
thumb up

Although, he showed some compassion for when that one annoying ***** died, but still.

Word.

When Fry died towards the end? He showed a moment of guilt, cos he killed her by setting her up as bait so he could escape the monster(s) he knew was coming from behind her. Riddick killed Fry, cos that's how he rolled, when he was cool.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 13th, 2011 04:54 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Word.

When Fry died towards the end? He showed a moment of guilt, cos he killed her by setting her up as bait so he could escape the monster(s) he knew was coming from behind her. Riddick killed Fry, cos that's how he rolled, when he was cool.

You've got to be trollin' now... haha..

I think (at least momentarily), Riddick did "rejoin the human race" in Pitch Black. He didn't WANT Fry to die at that point. (He says "Not for me, not for me.") And then he admits on the little escape skiff that "part of Riddick died on the planet." I might have to go back and look at the scene, but I don't think anything in the filmmaking (editing) indicated that Riddick wanted her to die, or even LET her die at that point. He was too battered and bruised himself to do much for her.. she was helping HIM up.

However, I have a feeling we're going to see a much more callous and cruel Riddick in the next film.. devil

Old Post Sep 17th, 2011 11:19 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Btw, doing a bit of searching on Google and some new details are popping up about characters that are in the process of being cast. I found some interesting tidbits, but I'll leave them for anyone interested to search for on their own, as it is likely unconfirmed.

http://io9.com/5829863/tons-of-ridd...-to-pitch-black

I'm not reading most of it too closely, as I want to keep SOME of it a surprise. But there you go. That's one of MANY articles on the subject.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2011 01:10 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Old Post Sep 19th, 2011 08:21 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
You've got to be trollin' now... haha..

No, I just understand the subtleties of the character and plot. It's okay, most people didn't get it.

He had to make a choice, her or him and as much as he might have started to care for Fry up to that point, Riddick (in PB) looks out for Riddick first.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2011 05:04 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I don't agree with the notion that Riddick stabbed Fry and used her as bait, if only because it doesn't make any sense regarding the context of the scene.

By the time Fry came back for Riddick after reaching the ship, he was literally DRENCHED in his own blood, and he was stumbling wildly (due to being injured). If the aliens really were attracted to blood then they wouldn't have gone after Fry instead of Riddick, as even after being stabbed, there's no way she'd have been bleeding as much he was.

Point being, I don't think he used her as bait, because using her as bait wouldn't have worked, and the man would have smart enough to realize that.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 19th, 2011 06:49 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I don't agree with the notion that Riddick stabbed Fry and used her as bait, if only because it doesn't make any sense regarding the context of the scene.

By the time Fry came back for Riddick after reaching the ship, he was literally DRENCHED in his own blood, and he was stumbling wildly (due to being injured). If the aliens really were attracted to blood then they wouldn't have gone after Fry instead of Riddick, as even after being stabbed, there's no way she'd have been bleeding as much he was.

Point being, I don't think he used her as bait, because using her as bait wouldn't have worked, and the man would have smart enough to realize that.

Your "Riddick's blood would have countered Fry's blood" can be dismissed due to PIS/MIS.

Not the first time something illogical happened in a sci-fi film.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2011 09:57 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

True, but if we're going to ignore what the movie shows us, for whatever reason, then I don't see what remaining evidence there is that shows that Riddick by the end of the film was still a selfish killer who sacrificed Fry. I definitely got the vibe in the movie by that point that her constant insistance that he was a good man had gotten through to him, and that he'd undergone a kind of character metamorphosis.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 19th, 2011 10:04 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Considering he just met the chick and they didn't even ****, not sure why he would have risked himself. Riddick definitely didn't seem like the pussy-wiped type in Pitch Black. imo.

Character metamorphosis from a guy who commits murder to pay for night-vision to selfless hero in a matter of a couple days? Nah, it's romantic, but nah.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2011 10:58 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I think from a story point of view, Fry's character had to be killed off, if anything but to absolve her of her early decision in the film to nearly killing the crew off to save her life when the ship was crashing.

Her death had nothing to do with whether Riddick set her up as bait.
As far as he (& the audience) was concerned, Fry made it to the ship & was home-free.

Having Riddick as the anti-hero that survives means that the (flawed) heroine couldn't survive also & thus had to die.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2011 05:56 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I don't think you're WRONG, necessarily, Rob. There's certainly an element of that.. and I'm sure the filmmakers want you to consider the idea that what was running through Riddick's mind was, "Better her than me." But Blaxican and Esau both bring up excellent points..

Namely that Riddick was in no position to CONSCIOUSLY use Fry as bait at that point. There's just no way. Not with the condition he was in.

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I definitely got the vibe in the movie by that point that her constant insistance that he was a good man had gotten through to him, and that he'd undergone a kind of character metamorphosis.

Well put. I agree.

Twohy is all about character reversals. You see it in (Pitch Black) Riddick, Fry, and you see it in the Pacifier in TCOR. Flawed though many critics might think he is, that's one of the things I love about how he writes characters. It creates an interesting arch and provides great emotional character involvement. The Pacifier in TCOR was particularly good because there are little touches throughout the film that hint at him not being fully revealed as a character. He sort of turns away when the Lord Marshal takes the soul of the gentleman at the beginning of the film. And he also asks Vaako if he ever has "doubs.." And then of course he eventually saves Riddick and has that epic death.. lol.

Originally posted by Kazenji
Brand new concept art

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/...9/news/?a=46610

And omg, I've got a stiffy. That is some badass concept art. This is gonna f**king rock.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Sep 21st, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2011 11:18 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Character metamorphosis from a guy who commits murder to pay for night-vision to selfless hero in a matter of a couple days? Nah, it's romantic, but nah.

Doesn't mean a brutha can't have relapses. Just like a drug addict. It's called being a human being. Having a psyche that constantly battles itself. Hence Riddick being the "flawed antihero."

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Sep 21st, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2011 11:26 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I don't think you're WRONG, necessarily, Rob. There's certainly an element of that.. and I'm sure the filmmakers want you to consider the idea that what was running through Riddick's mind was, "Better her than me." But Blaxican and Esau both bring up excellent points..

Namely that Riddick was in no position to CONSCIOUSLY use Fry as bait at that point. There's just no way. Not with the condition he was in.

Exactly, cos that's the cold-hearted mofo he was in PB. No, their points are fail; not cos they're idiots, they just missed the subtleties of PB like most people. It happens.

Disagree, wounded Riddick could have easily stabbed Fry in the back, they were that close and she foolishly trusted him at that point in the film.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 21st, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2011 11:39 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Okay, brah. Mr. Master of Subtleties. You're the only sane one in the world. You must be seeing a different film from the rest of us, cuz he never stabs Fry, and if he did, why would he regret her death immediately..? lol

Old Post Sep 21st, 2011 11:53 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Okay, brah. Mr. Master of Subtleties. You're the only sane one in the world.

You must be seeing a different film from the rest of us, cuz he never stabs Fry, and if he did, why would he regret her death immediately..? lol

No, not implying that I am better. There was also at least one other poster who has felt the same in here too, maybe more.

We've covered that, cos he's flawed and he felt a twinge of guilt, which he quickly let go of. It was like "Damn, that ho I just ****ed over trusted me, not feeling so great about it", then moments later he was all "Meh, **** it, better her than me."

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2011 12:14 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Alright, well, I don't think Riddick is really quite that psychotic and schizophrenic to have feelings for someone one second and literally the next second kill them. Flawed yes, but I don't see him as psychotic. That just wouldn't make a good character at all... even an antihero. If he was truly THAT anti-social, then he would have just gutted Imam and Jack before taking off and leaving the planet... just so he could have complete alone-time!! lol

And we could debate whether he stabbed her or not from now to the end of time, but it never shows it. It is an opinion that I do not agree with; however, I would fight to allow you to have it. wink

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2011 12:30 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

From memory you do see a surprised look on Riddick's face when Fry was killed.

He clearly expected her to be on the ship, whether he liked it or not.

Riddick respected the balls Fry had to stand up to him & question his conscience. He felt her weakness was her responsibility to save others that meant very little to her & yet he respected her determination & leadership qualities.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2011 02:26 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Alright, well, I don't think Riddick is really quite that psychotic and schizophrenic to have feelings for someone one second and literally the next second kill them. Flawed yes, but I don't see him as psychotic. That just wouldn't make a good character at all... even an antihero. If he was truly THAT anti-social, then he would have just gutted Imam and Jack before taking off and leaving the planet... just so he could have complete alone-time!! lol

And we could debate whether he stabbed her or not from now to the end of time, but it never shows it. It is an opinion that I do not agree with; however, I would fight to allow you to have it. wink

Riddick never showed psychotic and schizophrenic behavior, he was cool, collected and in-touch with reality and his surroundings throughout the film. Him stabbing Fry as a means to help himself shows that he's remorseless and a survivor first, or to a degree as such. Which is the image we got of Riddick early in the film, ie casually telling the story of murdering someone to pay for his "surgical shine job".

Except it's obvious he did and for the reasons stated. [edit]Don't get me wrong, if he could have thought of a better way to help his chance of surviving and it didn't involve sacrificing Fry, he would have, as having a third person on the escape ship could possibly come in handy to a highly wanted felon on the run.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 03:43 AM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2011 03:33 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Riddick never showed psychotic and schizophrenic behavior, he was cool, collected and in-touch with reality and his surroundings throughout the film. Him stabbing Fry as a means to help himself shows that he's remorseless and a survivor, or to a degree as such. Which is the image we got of Riddick early in the film, ie casually telling the story of murdering someone to pay for his "surgical shine job".

Except it's obvious he did and for the reasons stated.

What version of Pitch Black did you see?

Riddick never stabbed Fry.
Neither physically or metaphorically.

As far as murdering someone for his "surgical shine job"...it was revealed to be a tall-tale in Chronicles, to put the fear in the kid in Pitch Black.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2011 03:38 AM