KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » David Cronenberg Is Not Fan Of Superhero Movies

David Cronenberg Is Not Fan Of Superhero Movies
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Golgo13
lol! No wonder you hate Quentin Tarantino. I love Leone myself along with Scorsese. I would put David Lean in my top 10 or so for epic movies. Woody Allen would have to be in my top 5 as well.

Yeah lol. My problem with Taratino is that I'm familiar with all the movies he is trying to write love letters too with his films... and his work comes off more as a parody, then the send up he is intending it to be. Most people don't know what he is referencing... so they don't get as angry as I do. He just isn't very subtle... also he has never had a soundtrack that hasn't made me want to kill myself. lol

David Lean is in my top 10 too (love Laurence of Arabia), Woody is there as well but I don't think he is cracking the top 5. Maybe if we just look at his good films, but he has made a lot of stinkers as well.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:28 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Where would you rank Aronofsky? BTW, I think Clint Eastwood is a fantastic director. He would be top 15-20.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:37 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Actually my #2 would be Billy Wilder. I practically love all his movies. Srank?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:40 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Golgo13
Where would you rank Aronofsky? BTW, I think Clint Eastwood is a fantastic director. He would be top 15-20.

Actually my #2 would be Billy Wilder. I practically love all his movies. Srank?

I really like Aronofsky, his sensibilities as a director really appeal to me as an artist, he always has just stunning art direction and cinematography. He'd make the top 100... I'm just not sure where, same goes for Fincher and Lynch.

I love Clint, even though I think that The Bridges of Madison County is one of the WORST movies I have ever seen. lol.

I've been digging Nicolas Winding Refn a lot lately. I think the guy is almost supernaturally gifted. Valhala Rising is one of the creepiest, most unsettling movies I have ever seen... and virtually nothing happens. The atmosphere this guy can created with sound and framing his shots is second to none. So eerie. He can get more from an actor's facial expression then other directors get out of an interior monologue.

Billy Wilder is one of the greats. Love Sunset Boulevard.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 03:21 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by srankmissingnin

He was asked a question about super hero movies from an interviewer. He answered.

The notion that Cronenberg is jealous is absurd, even relative to the dumb ass shit you normally post. Let me guess, you think Scorsese and Spielberg are sitting by they phone this instance praying the get a call form Marvel or DC?

laughing

grow up a little ...

i gave my opinion on the matter ,, unless you know cronenberg personally, just how exactly do you know Marvel or WB hasn't approached him about directing a comic book film

well also if you can;t realize everyone has an opinion on things then maybe you should stop coming on a message board

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 04:00 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
grow up a little ...

i gave my opinion on the matter ,, unless you know cronenberg personally, just how exactly do you know Marvel or WB hasn't approached him about directing a comic book film

well also if you can;t realize everyone has an opinion on things then maybe you should stop coming on a message board

Everyone as the right to stated their opinion... unfortunately the internet does protect you from ridicule when your opinion is retarded. cool

Old Post Aug 20th, 2012 07:29 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

David Cronenberg was in the running for the Return Of The Jedi job in the early 1980's, alongside David Lynch. I'm not surprised that neither got the job, since they'd have to answer heavily to George Lucas and have little freedom (and it worked out for the best.) He was also developing his own version of Total Recall during that time, before it finally got made by Paul Verhoevan. So no, I don't think he's suffering from envy about never having made a mega-budget SciFi/Fantasy/ Comic book adaptation. I just think he made a shortsighted comment about the maturity level of comics, and fell into the old stereotypes about them being 'funnybooks for kids.'

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 20th, 2012 07:42 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Can you imagine David Lynch's Return of the Jedi?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 20th, 2012 07:45 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Everyone as the right to stated their opinion... unfortunately the internet does protect you from ridicule when your opinion is retarded. cool

as i said grow up some.. .. since you are someone to talk

Originally posted by roughrider
David Cronenberg was in the running for the Return Of The Jedi job in the early 1980's, alongside David Lynch. I'm not surprised that neither got the job, since they'd have to answer heavily to George Lucas and have little freedom (and it worked out for the best.) He was also developing his own version of Total Recall during that time, before it finally got made by Paul Verhoevan. So no, I don't think he's suffering from envy about never having made a mega-budget SciFi/Fantasy/ Comic book adaptation. I just think he made a shortsighted comment about the maturity level of comics, and fell into the old stereotypes about them being 'funnybooks for kids.'

nice post

Old Post Aug 20th, 2012 09:08 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi90

Originally posted by roughrider

That's cause superhero comics are for kids, especially young males but it's okay to indulge in something childish. Everyone seems to miss the fact that he was not talking about comics but about "SUPERHERO MOVIES" . I enjoy Batman movies but don't think they're cinematic masterpieces. take batman out of TDK or TDKR and you have one crappy crime drama full of plot holes. i mean, you guys can't seriously be disagreeing with him? Yeah, i enjoy reading superhero comics but i don't care how mature you call the writing when the basis of the superhero genre is male bodybuilders running around in tights and all women are big breasted and half naked.

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 11:17 PM
jedi90 is currently offline Click here to Send jedi90 a Private Message Find more posts by jedi90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Exhibit B>Exhibit A!

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 11:50 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

so how will Cronenberg react to Videodrome being remade???

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 12:21 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by jedi90
That's cause superhero comics are for kids, especially young males but it's okay to indulge in something childish. Everyone seems to miss the fact that he was not talking about comics but about "SUPERHERO MOVIES" . I enjoy Batman movies but don't think they're cinematic masterpieces. take batman out of TDK or TDKR and you have one crappy crime drama full of plot holes. i mean, you guys can't seriously be disagreeing with him? Yeah, i enjoy reading superhero comics but i don't care how mature you call the writing when the basis of the superhero genre is male bodybuilders running around in tights and all women are big breasted and half naked.

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

Putting large breasted super women aside, if The Dark Knight Returns (for example) was done literally as it was on the page for live action, you'd have something close to an R-rated film. The argument that superhero films are literally by definition for kids - F**k That. no

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 12:58 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

[B]That's cause superhero comics are for kids,

Fail......

when comparing that statement with the likes of Ghost Rider, Punisher, Wolverine and many other ones.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 03:31 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Who is this guy?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 24th, 2012 10:08 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

The guy who made a movie about monsters and TV people is saying comics are for kids? I respect his work, but he has no room to talk.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2012 04:47 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

Dark Knight Returns
Any Question series
Any Alan Moore story
Kraven's Last Hunt
Hellblazer
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Vertigo Comics
Whatever Happened To The American Dream?
Long Halloween
Batman: Dead End
Any 90s Bane story
Stormwatch
The Authority
Kickass
The Boy Who Collected Spider-Man
Smoke and Mirror
The Goon
The Spider (Dynamite Entertainment's reboot)
Any Jonah Hex series
Punisher MAX
Sandman

That was all just by thought. Imagine if I looked it up.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2012 04:54 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Oops

Old Post Aug 24th, 2012 04:55 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Bentley
Who is this guy?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000343/

you may have seen some of his movies.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2012 04:16 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi90

Originally posted by Kazenji
Fail......

when comparing that statement with the likes of Ghost Rider, Punisher, Wolverine and many other ones.

LOL, yeah ok. if those were your best examples then yeah, cronenberg's point is dead on.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2012 02:51 PM
jedi90 is currently offline Click here to Send jedi90 a Private Message Find more posts by jedi90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote