KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 102 103 [104] 105 106 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Well...it depends if you are talking about the Switch, or the Wii U because Nintendo ****ed up more with the Wii U than Microsoft did with the Xbox One.

Spin this? What am I spinning? Everybody knows they pooched this generation.

Just mentioning that it feels like Microsoft doesn't really care about console sales as much people think. The things they have done in the last couple of years has shown this. If they cared about console sales, why would they start releasing first party titles on the PC and allow consumers to pick up two copies with one purchase?

Hrrrm, the spin accusation was uncalled for.

Yeah, MS did make some changes.. The thing is, in my opinion, a business is informed by the top ranks. If they were pulling, say, "one disk, one console" schemes, it backfires, and someone gets fired over it, that smells like passing the buck to me.

Generally, these things are systemic.. Everyone from the top executives to the board are onboard with nickeling and diming in "clever" ways.

So I don't really trust ms, just like I don't trust Keurig after they wasted money on infra-red drm lockouts for competing K-cup brands..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 01:06 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

All business are informed by the top ranks. You think Sony is any different?

I'm not sure why you are singling out Microsoft for decisions made 7-8 years ago (when Xbox One was being developed) by an executive group that doesn't exist anymore. Since the release of the Xbox One, how has Microsoft differed in screwing over the customer from it's competitors? I believe each company roughly acts the same.

I think it's naive to think Nintendo and Sony do not follow the same shady business practices that Microsoft is alleged to have done (even though they reversed the decision to allow online checks prior to release).

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 09:18 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I'd say that MS has become very consumer friendly since their initial stumble when it comes to the Xbone. Implementing backwards compatibility is a big thing, allowing you to play a game on the PC or the console via one purchase is very nice, and having reasonable prices for the consoles that are very competitive and fair, and finally, the Gamepass program is simply an absurdly good deal for gamers. MS has done very well, all they need are some good exclusives to compete with Sony's and they'll essentially be neck and neck as far as console quality goes. MS may even have the upper hand in that case.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 09:32 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nintendo and Sony are both on the record for price fixing. smile

Yes, there are no heroes here. The main difference, imo, is..

Put it like this: If this is professional wrestling, then Nintendo is ECW, Sony is WWF (Pre loss to the tree hugger group), and MS is World Championship Wrestling.

Two of them are games oriented, and the third is suits who happen to deal in games. Two of them have people who care, one of them doesn't.

So anything MS does right, is in spite of whatever the execs think is good business, and not because of it.

I say that as someone who's last console was an MS one.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 09:34 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

That's not really accurate cdtm. As Smas pointed out, there has been a huge shift in executives in MS from when the Xbone was initially announced, it's essentially an entirely different group of people making decisions, and the decisions of this group have been very good thus far and they really do seem to care.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 09:36 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I cannot believe Microsoft Xbox division is not games oriented. Evidence suggest that is not the case.

They have clearly made mistakes but so has the other two companies. Nintendo is everybody's favourite darling but they have been against consumers for years and have made more mistakes than anything Microsoft has done.

I think its disingenuous to believe Sony cares more about their consumers than what is best for the company. I think both companies are in the same boat, it's just the Xbox One reveal is still somewhat fresh in peoples mind.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2018 04:05 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

You know the common "gimped for pc" complaints? I found out the opposite happened to Doom on the Saga Saturn. It actually looked far better then the PC version, so the programmer was told not to use the processors dedicated to video, and we got the mess we got.

I don't really get it either way. I mean, the software companies stand to lose money. And so does the platform getting "gimped". So why didn't Sega say "We'll pay you a lot extra for this much better version".

It's not like MS would have cut off ID, that was their bread and butter at the time.

The same holds true today: MS could have insisted on the PC getting that much much better version of Watchdogs. Why wouldn't they, if they care enough to have it at all?

I mean, aren't these companies in competition with each other? Or are they just in cahoots, and have this informal understanding of how the market is divided up, trading the security that everyone gets a piece for all out war?

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 05:45 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

The PC master race obviously understand the market far better than these stupid successful, multimillionaire companies. thumb up

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jul 30th, 2018 09:38 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by cdtm
You know the common "gimped for pc" complaints? I found out the opposite happened to Doom on the Saga Saturn. It actually looked far better then the PC version, so the programmer was told not to use the processors dedicated to video, and we got the mess we got.

I don't really get it either way. I mean, the software companies stand to lose money. And so does the platform getting "gimped". So why didn't Sega say "We'll pay you a lot extra for this much better version".

It's not like MS would have cut off ID, that was their bread and butter at the time.

The same holds true today: MS could have insisted on the PC getting that much much better version of Watchdogs. Why wouldn't they, if they care enough to have it at all?

I mean, aren't these companies in competition with each other? Or are they just in cahoots, and have this informal understanding of how the market is divided up, trading the security that everyone gets a piece for all out war?

Bad comparison. Doom was released on the PC in 1993 while released on the Saturn in 1997. That's 4 years. It's a port of the PS1 version of the game. The difference is that ID Software never updated the original version so it's not strange for the Saturn version to look better than the PC.

PC gaming and console gaming are not direct competitors (or at least back then) so I highly doubt a company would insist for a better version of the software.

Microsoft isn't the company that would try to get a developer to make a higher quality game for the PC market. It would be either AMD or Nvidia to be the platform on what the game/engine is based on. You would see games perform better based on what company paid the most.

However.....most games are developed from top down so PC would most likely always be superior if the PC market was part of the development.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2018 09:34 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Smasandian
Bad comparison. Doom was released on the PC in 1993 while released on the Saturn in 1997. That's 4 years. It's a port of the PS1 version of the game. The difference is that ID Software never updated the original version so it's not strange for the Saturn version to look better than the PC.

PC gaming and console gaming are not direct competitors (or at least back then) so I highly doubt a company would insist for a better version of the software.

Microsoft isn't the company that would try to get a developer to make a higher quality game for the PC market. It would be either AMD or Nvidia to be the platform on what the game/engine is based on. You would see games perform better based on what company paid the most.

However.....most games are developed from top down so PC would most likely always be superior if the PC market was part of the development.

I agree it wouldn't be strange for the Saturn game to look better.

But for some reason, the lead developer, or someone up the chain, thought it looked TOO good. They were ordered to use the worst processors in the system, so it didn't outshine the PC version.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2018 10:36 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I haven't seen that but I wouldn't be surprised.

However, it's not ID Software that did the port....

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 09:27 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Going by some of the footage on youtube of the Saturn version, It looks terrible

the PS version looked alot better.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2018 12:29 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's kind of funny to read reviews of games of old games, and see what they thought then.

Twisted Metal Black was lauded as some kind of visual breakthrough in 2001.
Come 2003, and it looks "A bit shit".

I guess after GTA took off, it would, but it's still funny what a difference a year made even back then.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 08:32 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Warframe and Shadow Fight on Switch? What?

Nintendo welcoming crappy freemium games onto their prestine platform. I don' care if they're retooled, that's just stupid.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2018 05:32 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Freemium games are cancer

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Nov 6th, 2018 07:06 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Sony announced today that it won't be attending E3 next year.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 09:51 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hmm.

Could be:

1. E3 is not relevant anymore.
2. E3 is too expensive and worth the amount of effort.
3. They have nothing to show.

Personally, I'm going with they have nothing to show

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 10:57 PM
BackFire

Hopefully it's just that, but I think they might just be moving towards a blizzcon type thing, like a Sonycon in the west or something. I hope not, because I like E3, and without Sony it will take a big hit.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 11:06 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well...they cancelled their PlayStation experience as well this year.

I wonder how many games are in the hopper for Sony in the next two years.....they have Last of Us 2 and I think that's it. All the major studios have recently released games. However, they did do that weird press conference last E3 and I don't believe it was received well.

But I assume Sony will come back in 2020 when they might announce the PS5.

Well... I could be good for MS to have centre stage and if they can back it up with games and announcement..might be awesome.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2018 11:26 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...ation/#/slide/1

This tariff would no doubt affect the Switch and other things made in China too and gouge their prices. The PS5 price with this added on, oh golly.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2018 10:30 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote