KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » What does God get out of being worshipped?

What does God get out of being worshipped?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I don't worship. I believe in God in the same way I believe in gravity. Rather I have a good life of not is fully dependent on me.

My phrase was more about the reason than about the worship. The fact of recognizing everything in the universe is linked by a similar nature is something you can benefit from.

Also discussing about worship would be too depending on definitions for my taste. Use veneration if it better fits your relationship with the world.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2015 05:15 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Every person is the master of their fate.

There are times when i've found that hard to believe, but in the end, yeah, thats true.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2015 09:56 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by psmith81992
But he doesn't crave our attention, nor want it. And the Kardashians both crave and need it.

But how does he not crave our attention and yet tells us we can't worship anyone but him? Why would he care if he doesn't want our attention?

Originally posted by Star428
[B]Only an idiot like Surtur would compare the Kardashians to God Himself.

There are a lot more nastier people out there I could just as easily compare him to if you'd like.

quote:
What a fool he is. Hope he likes fire. wink

I do like fire..it's what lights my weed. But as a Christian shouldn't you not want anyone to be burning eternally in hell? Not kewl.

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 5th, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2015 12:13 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by psmith81992
From what I understand, God needs nothing from us. But he makes himself "finite" in order to give us some understanding of him and gives us the chance to get closer to him through worship. At least that's the Jewish belief.

Very good statement.

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Sep 5th, 2015 12:15 AM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So the Jews don't follow the 10 commandments?

Though keep in mind this topic is specifically about the biblical God. Which is why I asked about the commandments, because saying God gives us the "chance" to become closer to him through worship makes it seem like we have a choice, and the commandments make it seem like..nope, you don't really have a choice in the matter. If you want to worship someone it has to be God and only God.

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 5th, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2015 12:19 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^exactly what made me ask the question. WHY does he want to be worshipped? Why so adamant about it in the commandments?
What does he get?

Old Post Sep 8th, 2015 10:36 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by riv6672
^^^exactly what made me ask the question. WHY does he want to be worshipped? Why so adamant about it in the commandments?
What does he get?

Well, if you respect the spirit of the commandments you shouldn't be destroying the rest of Creation. According to the Bible Creation is good, so you're at least keeping it in shape.

Not sure if God needs such thing, you can think it as a bonus.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2015 04:57 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You lost me.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2015 09:40 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by riv6672
You lost me.

The Commandements preach respect on the Creation and according to the Bible the Creation is good, so the Commandements should protect it to some degree.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2015 11:29 AM
riv6672

Color me dumb. Just not getting it.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2015 07:44 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bentley
Well, if you respect the spirit of the commandments you shouldn't be destroying the rest of Creation. According to the Bible Creation is good, so you're at least keeping it in shape.

Not sure if God needs such thing, you can think it as a bonus.

You talk about not destroying creation, but then what was God doing when he flooded the world and killed everyone save one guy. Oh and the animals of course, the sweetheart spared the animals.

Which either means God is very confused, or he just feels "well, this shit doesn't actually apply to me".

But yes God doesn't technically *need* anything. Maybe a good therapist. But he definitely "wants" things, and it's hard to say he doesn't want us to worship him. If he didn't want that he wouldn't create specific rules saying how we totally need to worship him.

Don't get me wrong if I had god-like power I'd demand worship, but then..I'm a dick.

It's also time to be brutally honest with ourselves: if there is some immortal nigh omnipotent being in existence then whatever it does..it most likely does out of boredom. Not out of love or some grand plan or because it cares specifically about us as individuals. The universe is what..13-15 billion years old at the very least? Gotta pass the time somehow.

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 10th, 2015 at 03:32 PM

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 03:23 PM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
It's also time to be brutally honest with ourselves: if there is some immortal nigh omnipotent being in existence then whatever it does..it most likely does out of boredom. Not out of love or some grand plan or because it cares specifically about us as individuals. The universe is what..13-15 billion years old at the very least? Gotta pass the time somehow.

If we are going to be truly honest with ourselves, it's time we stop pretending we know what a nigh omnipotent being is thinking.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 03:34 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

We have to try, otherwise there'd be no point in replying to the thread.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 03:39 PM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, that's being both arrogant and ignorant. You either subscribe to a God or you don't. If you don't, you don't get to sit there and dissect his motives if he theoretically existed. I've had this discussion ad nauseam. The fallible don't get to pretend they understand the infallible.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 03:49 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Then you should stay the hell out of this thread, now that you've made your point, or you risk being part of the problem. yes

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 05:11 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

He is omnipotent/omnipresent/omniscient, he has his reasons, it's just none of us are allowed to know.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2015 11:11 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I tend to agree, but the whole point of this forum is to ask and conjecture, anyway.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2015 03:08 AM
clubcrawllasveg
Restricted

Account Restricted

All I could say is I believe in God.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 03:14 PM
clubcrawllasveg is currently offline Click here to Send clubcrawllasveg a Private Message Find more posts by clubcrawllasveg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

He masturbates to all the worship.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 05:25 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So much for your last post. stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 05:57 PM