KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Spider-Man's future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Spider-Man's future in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Both sides are being shitbags IMO. 5% is laughably low, considering how much of the MCU is incorporated into those films (and how much MCU good will brought fans onboard for this after the ASM shitshow), as well as the fact that they have other strictly MCU characters appearing in them. But 50% is also being excessively greedy and asking too much.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 04:00 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
It will probably get sorted out when either Disney swallows its pride and accepts a smaller cut of the profits or bankrupts itself to buy the license to Spider Man (which is the worst possible scenario btw).
Both companies are just comparing dick sizes right now.

I can only imagine that Disney will ultimately accept a smaller percentage of the co-financing stake and continue producing Spidey-related material. They'd still pull in a huge profit given the draw of these films, and you'd *think*, as a business, they would put monetary gain over their corporate ego.

We'll see, I guess. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Aug 21st, 2019 at 10:46 AM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 10:41 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 10:57 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Both sides are being shitbags IMO. 5% is laughably low, considering how much of the MCU is incorporated into those films (and how much MCU good will brought fans onboard for this after the ASM shitshow), as well as the fact that they have other strictly MCU characters appearing in them. But 50% is also being excessively greedy and asking too much.

Is 5% laughably low? You do realise Sony gets nothing when Spider-Man is in the Avengers right?

Disney also gets 100% of Spider-Man merchandising rights (which is a huge thing btw), so its only in their interest to help Sony not take this franchise down the drain.

I mean Sure negotiate on the 5%. But as far as Im aware Sony did not refuse to negotiate on the %.

This solely Disney being dicks. Not Marvel btw (the whole initial deal was Feige idea). Just Disney.

But hey they were dicks when they fired James Gunn as well, and im guessing Feige kept fighting his cause to bring him back into the fold.

Originally posted by Inhuman
Back to shitty amazing Spiderman tier movies
And stupid decisions like wanting to make movies based on Silver Sable , etc.

Lets be real. Its not like Homecoming was a masterpiece. The best Spider-Man movie is still SM2, a 100% Sony one.

The fun for us fans was seeing Spidey with the Avengers.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 11:17 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Finally the homosexual twink Tom Holland is gone. Maybe Spider-man can be good again. Then again, it's Sony.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 11:23 AM
Psychotron is currently offline Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Reading the article, The Disney/Sony partnership is in doubt, that's all. The thread title is misleading.

Second, Sony needs Spider Man in the MCU than the other way around. Cut off in his own universe, with no one but Sony making the film, it will get f**ked up again. They - Sony - have proven time and again. Spider Man in the MCU is a genie they can't put back in the bottle.

It will be several years before Spider Man could be needed for a major crossover again. I say wait Sony out.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 11:31 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

News to me, Him being gay.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 11:34 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Holland wants a “gay Spider-Man” in the future.

I’ll never understand why people want or need characters to be gay when the source material is otherwise.

And this is coming from me, a bi-guy.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 11:42 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Aug 21st, 2019 at 12:02 PM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 11:55 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote:

I’ll never understand why people want or need characters to be gay when the source material is otherwise.

I'm sure something like that can be done in the comics, Could easily be another Spider-Man from another universe.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 11:57 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Is 5% laughably low? You do realise Sony gets nothing when Spider-Man is in the Avengers right?

Disney also gets 100% of Spider-Man merchandising rights (which is a huge thing btw), so its only in their interest to help Sony not take this franchise down the drain.

I mean Sure negotiate on the 5%. But as far as Im aware Sony did not refuse to negotiate on the %.

This solely Disney being dicks. Not Marvel btw (the whole initial deal was Feige idea). Just Disney.

But hey they were dicks when they fired James Gunn as well, and im guessing Feige kept fighting his cause to bring him back into the fold.

Disney MCU wasn't a floundering shitshow before this partnership, unlike Spider-Man was at Sony. And as I understand it, it's 5% of opening day. Not total amount. So, if you work out 5% of opening day of the two films and combine that, and then compare that with their total combined box office run, it seems very low to me, considering the people the MCU would also need to hire and pay on these projects, over the production and post-production process, both on and offscreen. Actors, executives, continuity guys to make sure it lines up consistently with things in the wider MCU etc.

I suppose the actors might/should be covered by Sony, but the behind the scenes people linking to the wider MCU would be Disney guys.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 12:08 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Impediment

To be fair bisexuals might be the population that gives the least sh_ts about homo/hetero labels

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 12:24 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm sure something like that can be done in the comics, Could easily be another Spider-Man from another universe.

You do know Stan Lee, the man that we in charge of Marvel for the longest staid to no to such an idiotic idea right?

I don’t see why an actor has so much pull when it comes to characters he didn’t help create.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 12:45 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

It is just business so what? Making money is the name of the game. A deal still can be struck. Disney would share the costs and the MCU is their baby which greatly benefits Sonys Spider-Man. They are just dick measuring atm.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 01:11 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by SquallX
You do know Stan Lee, the man that we in charge of Marvel for the longest staid to no to such an idiotic idea right?

I don’t see why an actor has so much pull when it comes to characters he didn’t help create.
Your opinion does not matter. These are films and actors are more vital to the process here not just the guy who created the source material.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 01:14 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Disney MCU wasn't a floundering shitshow before this partnership, unlike Spider-Man was at Sony.

Firstly, it wasn't a shit show. SM1, SM2 and even TASM1 were all solid IMO. SM1 was the first true Marvel blockbuster.

But you're confusing who needed the deal more initially, with the details of if it's actually a mutually beneficial deal to carry on for both sides.

Also don't put this on the MCU. Feige was happy with the deal. It was the deal he proposed in the first place. This is all the higher ups at Disney interfering.

And as I understand it, it's 5% of opening day. Not total amount. So, if you work out 5% of opening day of the two films and combine that, and then compare that with their total combined box office run, it seems very low to me,

Not really. Because they get to use Spidey free of charge in the Disney/Marvel financed MCU films.

Again this was the original deal both sides agreed to. Marvel didn't NEED Spider-Man, but they WANTED their flagship character in the mix. Plus the have the merchandising rights including movie merchandising (which I'm guessing didn't sell too well for TASM2)Which is why it was mutually beneficial.

considering the people the MCU would also need to hire and pay on these projects, over the production and post-production process, both on and offscreen. Actors, executives, continuity guys to make sure it lines up consistently with things in the wider MCU etc.

I suppose the actors might/should be covered by Sony, but the behind the scenes people linking to the wider MCU would be Disney guys.

I'm sure that's all covered in the production cost. Including Feiges fee for working on the films.

The main thing you could say Marvel is losing is Time. Time spent planning the Sony movies.

But hey ask for a bit extra on the budget cost. But asking for half the profits is ridiculous. Sony are not getting any of the profits from Infinity War or Endgame, and you can't tell me having Spidey in those had zero effect on the box office, and just general excitement for those films.

But hey, sure negotiate the %. I've not read anywhere Sony completely refused negotiations on that. Just don't get arrogant and completely take the piss, simply because you're Disney.

Originally posted by quanchi112
It is just business so what? Making money is the name of the game. A deal still can be struck. Disney would share the costs and the MCU is their baby which greatly benefits Sonys Spider-Man. They are just dick measuring atm.

Surprisingly Quans making sense.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Aug 21st, 2019 at 01:29 PM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 01:27 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007
Negotiations are still ongoing:
https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-sony...gotiating-deal/

Good.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 01:51 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Firstly, it wasn't a shit show. SM1, SM2 and even TASM1 were all solid IMO. SM1 was the first true Marvel blockbuster.

But you're confusing who needed the deal more initially, with the details of if it's actually a mutually beneficial deal to carry on for both sides.

Also don't put this on the MCU. Feige was happy with the deal. It was the deal he proposed in the first place. This is all the higher ups at Disney interfering.

Not really. Because they get to use Spidey free of charge in the Disney/Marvel financed MCU films.

Again this was the original deal both sides agreed to. Marvel didn't NEED Spider-Man, but they WANTED their flagship character in the mix. Plus the have the merchandising rights including movie merchandising (which I'm guessing didn't sell too well for TASM2)Which is why it was mutually beneficial.

I'm sure that's all covered in the production cost. Including Feiges fee for working on the films.

The main thing you could say Marvel is losing is Time. Time spent planning the Sony movies.

But hey ask for a bit extra on the budget cost. But asking for half the profits is ridiculous. Sony are not getting any of the profits from Infinity War or Endgame, and you can't tell me having Spidey in those had zero effect on the box office, and just general excitement for those films.

But hey, sure negotiate the %. I've not read anywhere Sony completely refused negotiations on that. Just don't get arrogant and completely take the piss, simply because you're Disney.

Surprisingly Quans making sense.
I am always right. Just like with the Hulks character development and the Russos decisions you went off base with your feelings as your only source. Be like me and be objective.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 02:39 PM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by Impediment

That's just BS!!

I hate when they try to mess with the classics.

Let them make their own gay characters if the so feel like, but stop messing with our heroes.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 03:16 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I never once referenced the Raimi Spider-Man movies. They happened ages ago at this point and aren't relevant to the current situation to be honest. I specifically referred to ASM in my first post, which had mixed reviews from a lot of people on the first one and was almost universally panned on the second. And at no point did I say it was the MCU's doing or even remotely mentioned Feige. I was simply pointing out the huge positive impact it had for the recent films, as well as the goodwill that came with it. Because not everything from Disney has that much goodwill nowadays *cough*starwars*cough*.

And I'm talking film media and money and return based on how much time, effort and work is put in there specifically. And yeah, of course Spider-Man is also a draw for some people. But a lot of those people are already invested in the MCU in anyways, whereas people were still making jokes about how awful Electro (and Goblin) was in ASM2. So, while both had an impact, one was clearly greater.

And I already said that I thought asking for half was excessively greedy. So, that's not a point of contention. And I took my stance because, at the time, it was implied that it had totally broken down, which would mean that Sony themselves was beyond even suggesting a compromise. But as the article Galan posted says, things are still ongoing, so things could still work itself out.

Disney is kinda on the short-end here though. They tied so much of the next phase into Far From Home that they kinda really need Spidey for at least another film or two IMO, if only to pass the torch they just passed to him onto someone else again. So, that might give Sony some power at the table.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2019 03:28 PM