Malick To Direct Benicio Del Toro In 'Che'[Thursday, February 19th, 2004]
Terrence Malick (The Thin Red Line) is set to direct Benicio Del Toro in the biopic Che, according to Variety.
Budgeted at $40 million the movie is based on on the Cuban revolutionary hero Ernesto "Che" Guevara. Malick who is going to direct has also wrote the script.
Malick brings a certain firsthand experience to the project. When the Bolivian army murdered the 39-year-old Guevara in 1967, Malick was in the country to write a piece on Guevara's guerrillas for the New Yorker.
Walter Salles' The Motorcycle Diaries, which bowed at the recent Sundance Film Festival, starred Gael Garcia Bernal as the pre-revolutionary Guevara. Malick's pic will focus on the last part of Guevara's life.
The film is scheduled for a four-month South American shoot to begin in July.
E-Mail This Article » Share your comments on 'Che'
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]