Connery Talks Bond[Friday, February 16th, 2001]
Sean Connery recently talked with Reuters about James Bond:
Fans might consider him the greatest British film star ever, but Scottish film legend Sean Connery would rather watch anyone else play the role that made him famous.
``Each one has a hard time playing the Bond role,'' Connery said at a news conference at the Berlin Film Festival, where he was presenting his new film ``Finding Forrester.'' ``Everyone plays it differently. Maybe I set too high a standard.''
Connery, 70, did not want to say which actor he thought embodied the James Bond role best but he said that the current actor, Pierce Brosnan, was doing a good job of keeping the role alive. Connery was the first Bond, playing in ``Dr. No'' four decades ago.
``It's a difficult question to answer,'' said Connery. ``I'd rather watch all the others but me.''
He said he didn't mind being identified with the famous British agent even though he hasn't played the role in 17 years.
In ``Finding Forrester,'' which is based loosely on a figure like the American novelist J.D. Salinger, Connery stars as a elderly novelist in New York who lives as a recluse 40 years after writing a Pulitzer-prize winning novel and helps a talented young writer get his start.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]