'The Return Of The King' Breaks Box Office Records[Friday, December 19th, 2003]
The final installment The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King has broken box office records in 13 countries around the world since its release on Wednesday.
The film took in a total of $57.6m in worldwide tickets on its first day alone, setting a new record.
In the US, it took $34.1m in just one day, beating the record set by Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. The overall one-day opening record is currently held by Spider-Man, followed by The Matrix Reloaded.
Distributor New Line is said to be hoping the movie will break the $1 billion global box office barrier. Currently Titanic holds the global box office record with an amazing $1.83 billion in total sales.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]