'Return Of The King' Takes In $246m Worldwide[Monday, December 22nd, 2003]
New Line Cinema's The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King has shattered box office records all over the world over the weekend before Christmas.
The movie took in a staggering worldwide total of $246.1 million in the five days since it's release.
Domestically in the US, the movie took in $73.6 million over the weekend and $125.1 million in the past five days. Internationally, the movie took in $121 million from 28 countries.
The combined grosses means that Peter Jackson's The Return of the King has broken all previous records and now has the biggest worldwide opening in history.
Comparably the second movie The Two Towers took in $102 million in its first five days, and the first movie The Fellowship of the Ring grossed $94 million in its first week.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]