'Two Towers' Ranks Up Two Hundred Million Dollars[Monday, December 30th, 2002]
"The Lord Of The Rings" sequel has become one of the fastest films ever to cross the $200 million mark in America.
Two Towers took in $48.9 million during its second weekend at the US box office.
It is now predicted to overtake last year's "The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" in ticket sales.
Steven Spielberg's "Catch Me If You Can," starring Leonardo DiCaprio as real-life '60s con man Frank Abagnale Jr, debuted at number two this weekend, with $30 million.
"Two Weeks Notice," starring Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock took third place with $16.1 million, while Jennifer Lopez's "Maid in Manhattan" was in fourth with $13 million.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]