Tribal Trouble For Cruises' 'The Last Samurai'[Tuesday, January 14th, 2003]
Controversy has hit Tom Cruise's latest project, The Last Samurai, as sections of the Maori community are claiming that sacred sites have been desecrated during filming. Heres more from the BBC.
Others claimed they should be paid compensation for the use of images of their sacred mountain, Mount Taranaki, which will feature in the film.
In tribal legend, Mount Taranaki is regarded as an ancestor of Maori who live in the region.
But the New Zealand film industry body is playing down any dispute, calling the row "a storm in a teacup".
Although the film is set in Japan the majority of scenes will be shot in New Zealand, including using Mount Taranaki on the west coast of the North Island as Mount Fujiyama.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]