'Matrix Reloaded' Breaks Opening Day Record![Friday, May 16th, 2003]
According to Reuters, The Matrix Reloaded has raked in a record breaking $42.5 million at domestic box offices in its first day, surpassing last year's smash hit Spider-Man. 'Spider-Man' took in $39.4 million on its first day, Friday, and $43.6 million on Saturday.
"It's quite a spectacular gross," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Los Angeles box office tracker Exhibitor Relations Inc. "Only twice have films earned over $40 million in a single day, and it is setting a new standard for R-rated films."
'The Matrix Reloaded' is currently playing in a little over 3,600 theaters and on more than 8,500 movie screens.
• Spike Lee Is To Direct James Brown Bio [MORE >>]
• Harrison Ford To Star As Indy In 'May 2008' [MORE >>]
• Ian McKellen As Narrator In Fantasy 'Stardust' [MORE >>]
• Jason Bateman In 'Tonight, He Comes' [MORE >>]
• Masi Oka To Come Into Casino Movie '21' [MORE >>]
• Angelina Jolie Confirms 'Sin City 2' Talks [MORE >>]
• Ben Stiller Planning 'Zoolander 2' Return [MORE >>]
• Jason Lee To Star In 'Krater' Comedy [MORE >>]
• Weinstein Co. To Make 'Alex & Ironic Gentleman' [MORE >>]
• Dimension Films Takes On 'Storm Warning' [MORE >>]
• Sandra Bullock In Comedy 'One Of The Guys' [MORE >>]
• John C. Reilly In Parody 'Walk Hard' [MORE >>]
• Sam Raimi To Produce 'The Shadow' [MORE >>]
• Goldberg To Write Remake 'Since Walker Left' [MORE >>]
• Andre 3000 Joins 'Semi-Pro' Comedy [MORE >>]